Chords just don't sound right

ukulelearp

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently picked up my first ukulele. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it, so I picked up a 50 dollar Hilo at Sam Ash. I've been playing and enjoying it. However, while learning chords, I've cross referenced them with the internet and they always seem to sound off. I think I'm tuning right, I've been tuning by an online tuner. Is it the strings? Do I just need more practice? Is the ukulele just too cheap for me to be expecting much from it?

Thanks,
Alec

Have you checked out any of the clip on digital tuners? they are great. Also I think on the less expensive ukes if the strings have not already been upgraded it would be a good thing to do so, sometimes the action is way high as well.

Are you tuning to G, C, E, A? Which online tuner are you using?

Then you're using the right tuning for the majority of songs. Without a sound sample, I couldn't tell you what's going on. Is there anyway you can make a quick recording or video?

My first guess is that the intonation of the instrument is out of whack. It's starter uke that could probably do with a bit of setting up to get the most out of what it's capable of. (do a search, there's a few threads and links that'll help)

And if you haven't already, a string upgrade from the factory ones is going to improve things immensely as well.

Investing in a decent set of strings and a tuner will help greatly. I personally have bought a 10 dollar "abc store toy" ukulele for my nephew and upgraded the strings and it sounds pretty damn good.

I just listened to your recordings. I don't make it a practice to dis cheap ukes, but I think you have a clunker there.

The recording of your C chord strums offered the most evidence for this conclusion. While strumming one chord, your uke jumps out of tune. It's common for cheap ukes to have bad intonation, but yours is terrible.

You could try putting nice strings on it and see if it helps. If it doesn't help much, consider getting a new uke. You don't have to spend too much more money. If you want to keep it under $100 there are plenty of ukes from musicguymic on eBay that fit the bill. Check out the ukulele starter packs he offers.

that was my suspicion. it's alright though, i am hoping to get a kala tenor soon.

the first ukulele i practiced on had a similar problem. the friend i was borrowing it from described it as the type of instrument you get when you tell your amusical grandmother you want a ukulele for xmas. if you're just beginning like me, you don't need an instrument that you can seriously shred heavy metal solos on (yet), just something to get started while you find a better instrument.

my strategy- ignore the tuning rules and detune the thing so that it plays a C chord proper! it'll play G, G7, and F and others 'mostly' right it is like the one i was using. it won't sound /great/ but it'll give you a chance to practice until you find that special someone.

o, and get ready to stop every one of your friends from trying to tune it "better."

Be sure your tuner is set at 440Hz for a uke.
very good point....I've caught more than one beginner floundering with a clip on tuner that's not set at 440......including myself.

the first ukulele i practiced on had a similar problem. the friend i was borrowing it from described it as the type of instrument you get when you tell your amusical grandmother you want a ukulele for xmas. if you're just beginning like me, you don't need an instrument that you can seriously shred heavy metal solos on (yet), just something to get started while you find a better instrument.

my strategy- ignore the tuning rules and detune the thing so that it plays a C chord proper! it'll play G, G7, and F and others 'mostly' right it is like the one i was using. it won't sound /great/ but it'll give you a chance to practice until you find that special someone.

o, and get ready to stop every one of your friends from trying to tune it "better."

can you explain what you mean by detuning it? so far there is only one string that absolutely refuses to get in tune...

For the one I was using, (in gCEA) I would tune the A string so that it played the third fret in tune with the C string. This made a rather out of tune A string, but it played the chord right. Then a similar thing for the E string, and the g string. So it ended up sounding pretty wonky, but "good enough."

can you explain what you mean by detuning it? so far there is only one string that absolutely refuses to get in tune...

While strumming one chord, your uke jumps out of tune.

Are they friction tuners? If so are they tight enough? They will slip and go out of tune like this if they are too slack. You can tighten them up using the screw on the end of the knob.

Top Bottom