Interesting video on Ebony

Bravo!!!! Bob Taylor is such a forward thinking man, he makes me feel like a caveman.:rolleyes:

Why does he speak like his audience is a bunch of five year olds.
I would imagine he is mostly speaking to the American public... they basically are 5 year olds... though I doubt any of them would sit through the 13+ minute video.
This is purely speculation as to the major market base for Taylor's guitars... I have no knowledge of their worldwide sales.

his tone of voice made it more difficult to watch... stiil some interesting tid bits...

and yes, what he is talking about is definitely pertinent

I've been using the stripy none black ebony for years..Co's I can't afford the good stuff:D..some of it looks just like rosewood...then again I've had rosewood that just looks like ebony:confused:

I like the blond/ grey streaks, personally.

Thanks for the share. It really gives why the industry should switch to sustainable wood only. Great initiative from Taylor. When will the last mass produced uke using ebony or even koa be made?

Sustainable is a buzzword for me. Wasteful is more real, efficient is more real, 'renewable' and 'sustainable' just miss the mark a little bit, for me. Renewable, no, it will not likely ever be like it was, we cannot go back. We have a footprint in being alive.. Sustainable? for how long? at what rate? at what cost? Many of the huge timber sales in the wet tropics where some of the exotics come from, are negotiated as more 'beneficial' for the purpose of the land being (profitably of course) converted into oil palm plantations, or other, for biofuel production. Energy is constantly being transformed. Imagine trying to build a wooden aircraft from non old growth wood... The other evening I was thinking about non wood products in instrument building, like Richlite for fingerboards, or another material that is probably not applicable due to it's damping properties. ( anything on a guitar that benefits from being non-resonant?) Local woods are going to be seen more and more. Ebony will become very scarce in a relatively short time.

I live in timber country, it irks me a bit to hear of trees as renewable. Yes they grow back, but if you have ever walked in an old growth forest, you instantly know the difference. Second, third, fourth growth forests just do not have the same.... anything...

sorry if some of that is confusing,, touching on a lot of related subjects in a few sentences, don't have time to do it justice at the moment.. I like working with wood, and also recognize that it is precious, that it is commonly harvested in less than 'sustainable' ways.....

Thanks for the share. It really gives why the industry should switch to sustainable wood only. Great initiative from Taylor. When will the last mass produced uke using ebony or even koa be made?

Koa is one of the fastest growing trees in Hawaii and there is considerable replanting going on. Responsible use is the key word.

very cool that Koa grows quickly. How old are mature Koa trees?

Most species' replantings do not grow so quickly, or to the same stature.. Cocobolo is also being replanted, but..... Spruce too.. It will take a while for the newly planted Spruce trees to be able to yield nice tight tops, if ever.

very cool that Koa grows quickly. How old are mature Koa trees?

Most species' replantings do not grow so quickly, or to the same stature.. Cocobolo is also being replanted, but..... Spruce too.. It will take a while for the newly planted Spruce trees to be able to yield nice tight tops, if ever.

Koa can grow 1" in diameter and 2' in height per year. In 40 years you can have a pretty good sized tree.

I am never convinced that Taylor is doing it for the industry. He ids almost exclusively in it for Taylor guitars. Anyone heard of him becoming a wood merchant? When he does then I might be more disposed towards believing he has the industry in mind.

Recant:
Just watched the video which i couldn't stream it in Canada. Good on you Bob... he is a wood merchant afterall. Now start with Mahogany and all those other woods and start promoting indigenous woods and woods with imperfections and lower grades. Starts with ebony and continues throught the rosewoods, koa and such like I hope.

Last edited:
Sustainable is a buzzword for me. Wasteful is more real, efficient is more real, 'renewable' and 'sustainable' just miss the mark a little bit, for me. Renewable, no, it will not likely ever be like it was, we cannot go back. We have a footprint in being alive.. Sustainable? for how long? at what rate? at what cost? Many of the huge timber sales in the wet tropics where some of the exotics come from, are negotiated as more 'beneficial' for the purpose of the land being (profitably of course) converted into oil palm plantations, or other, for biofuel production. Energy is constantly being transformed. Imagine trying to build a wooden aircraft from non old growth wood... The other evening I was thinking about non wood products in instrument building, like Richlite for fingerboards, or another material that is probably not applicable due to it's damping properties. ( anything on a guitar that benefits from being non-resonant?) Local woods are going to be seen more and more. Ebony will become very scarce in a relatively short time.

I live in timber country, it irks me a bit to hear of trees as renewable. Yes they grow back, but if you have ever walked in an old growth forest, you instantly know the difference. Second, third, fourth growth forests just do not have the same.... anything...
I'm a "lurker" here - conservation threads always make me prick my ears up - and it's so good to see these sentiments ..... do - pleaase - educate the buying public...... this is so important. I once travelled from the coast in Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur. Solid Palm oil forestry - and that was 15 years ago! It's really scary......

I am never convinced that Taylor is doing it for the industry. He ids almost exclusively in it for Taylor guitars. Anyone heard of him becoming a wood merchant? When he does then I might be more disposed towards believing he has the industry in mind.

I don't see a problem with that. Give him some credit for doing something positive and being forward thinking, even if it may only be in his best interest. What Taylor does has a huge impact on everyone in the business.
BTW, I know of at least one LARGE uke manufacturer that regularly gets their wood from Taylor.

Top Bottom