Lefthanded newbie with a question

grrltraveler2007

Reaction score
I have been looking at concert ukeleles, am completely new to this and have never strung a guitar or anything before. I spoke to someone at Guitar Center who said the Cordoba I was looking at could be strung for a lefty pretty easily.... could I do it, do you think? or should I be looking to have whomever I purchase from do it?

I have moved away from the Cordoba after reading some posts on the forum. Still trying to decide on the best uke for this beginner. Definitely like the feel of the concert one though.

Anyhow, any help would be appreciated!

Anne

Whilst some ukes come with compensated saddles these days, I've never seen the need. My high end ukes have straight saddles and work just fine.

For a lefty, just string the opposite way - it really is that simple!

Welcome aboard!

There are two other options as well. You could learn to fret with your left hand (that is, play like a rightie), or you could learn to play a right-handed uke upside-down. While initially harder for you, the benefit is that you will never need a specially strung instrument. It makes it easier to borrow a uke, or to test new ukes when you decide you want a nicer one. Just something to think about.
Best of luck!

^ Yeah learning to play right handed (only if it feels natural) or playing left handed and just learning the chords "upside down" will make borrowing ukes or testing out ukes at shops or get togethers a lot easier. You could restring it no problems (get the shop to do it if it's free of charge, if they try and charge you then walk away).

I chose to restring left handed because it felt like the best/easiest option for me - but sometimes I do wish I could pick up any uke at a gathering or shop and play!

Thanks for the responses. I was playing a right handed one left handed so I might try that for awhile and go from there.

I am a left handed player. When I purchased my Kala Concert uke the guy at the store said, "Why don't you just learn to play it right-handed". (Typical comment from a right-handed person). I asked him in return, "Would you learn to write with your left hand?" Enough said. Have your uke strung for a left-handed player and play it in a way that is most comfortable. Simply reverse the strings. Most instruments accomodate this change easily. If you have never strung an instrument before...I personally would recommend taking it to the shop and have them do it properly. I did buy myself a chord sheet for left-handed players. This made life a bit easier.

I'm a lefty and re-strung my uke when I started. I couldn't imagine doing the well meaning "Why don't you just learn to play it right-handed like everybody else" suggestion you hear all the time. It would probably be easier to learn Chinese :) Also you probably won't need the left-handed chord chart for long either as you will quickly learn to mentally swap things around on the fly. Left-wired brains enjoy doing that sort of thing. :cool:

Why is it a high percentage of Right handed players feel that leftys have to learn something that is
un-natural to them. IE: play right handed. I'm a lefty and proud of it. All my ukes started life as right handers.
I just switch the strings around and hey presto!
Don't feel any pressure to do something that is un-natural to you. Play lefty and be proud!!!:cool:
Just my two bobs worth of course.
Cheers
Gary

Why is it a high percentage of Right handed players feel that leftys have to learn something that is
un-natural to them. IE: play right handed.
Feels like :deadhorse: again, but...

It takes both hands to play. A righty might have an initial advantage picking/strumming, a lefty might have an initial advantage fretting, but both are essential.

As has been pointed out, there are major advantages in being able to pick up any standardly strung uke.

You don't see very many left-handed pianos, but I assume there are plenty of left-handed pianists out there. :)

Known musicians my whole life. Many of them that are lefties that played lefty have said they wished they would have put in the extra time when they were young to acclimate to right handed playing on string instruments. It makes playing many different instruments so much easier. If you are a lefty and happy with your one uke that is fine. I have several ukes and used to keep one strung lefty for when my left handed sister in law would visit. Then I noticed she rarely picked it up. When she was learning guitar at a young age, lefty guitars were rare so she taught herself to play upside down. She is able to go back and forth from a right handed guitar to a lefty no problem. It blows my mind watching her. I think learning at a young age helped her brain to stay flexible.

I come from a wind instrument background. There are no left handed flutes, clarinets or saxaphones.

Being new to the ukulele, I'd have the seller restring it. You will learn that along the way. But, whatever instrument you decide on, avoid a righty cutaway, any electronic controls that will get in your way or be out of reach when you turn it the over, anything that would make a righty different from a lefty. Then have fun.

Known musicians my whole life. Many of them that are lefties that played lefty have said they wished they would have put in the extra time when they were young to acclimate to right handed playing on string instruments. It makes playing many different instruments so much easier. If you are a lefty and happy with your one uke that is fine. I have several ukes and used to keep one strung lefty for when my left handed sister in law would visit. Then I noticed she rarely picked it up. When she was learning guitar at a young age, lefty guitars were rare so she taught herself to play upside down. She is able to go back and forth from a right handed guitar to a lefty no problem. It blows my mind watching her. I think learning at a young age helped her brain to stay flexible.

I come from a wind instrument background. There are no left handed flutes, clarinets or saxaphones.

Interesting point!
I also come from a wind instrument background and as you correctly say none are 'handed' left or right.
And I also have a selection of ukes and keep one strung Right Handed so when my guitarist son visits
he too can enjoy a uke session with his lefty dad.:D
cheers
Gary

Top Bottom