Makala Concert vs. Tenor, I play guitar. PLEASE HELP

iRockskinnies

Reaction score
A lot of people say that beginner uke players should get a concert because a tenor is bigger and its harder to play with more spread out frets. However, I play guitar so i don't know if that's going to be that big off a problem for me. I like the brightness of the Makala Concert but I've heard that the tenor by makala is great, and I could probably get a better concert for cheaper. My budget is anything below 85 dollars, I'm really not sure what to get.

I'm a really picky person, the brightness of the uke is important to me, but i like how you can do fancy stuff with a tenor and the loudness.

So what should I go with?
Makala Concert (gig bag and aquilla strings) 88.99
A better Concert ?
Makala Tenor (aquilla strings) 82.99

It's really hard to choose. I'm looking at loudness, brightness, clearness, size, etc. Again brightness is really important which is why I'd like a concert but the size makes it nice to do really cool stuff, but is it as "bright" as a concert?

The tenor has a lower tone than a concert off the bat. The brightness is relative to the strings you have on there. Aquila strings are generally very bright sounding and those are the ones I use for my tenor uke. The concert uke I bought my daughter has GHS black strings and it doesn't have as bright of a sound as mine. Best thing I can suggest is to play both and see what feels more comfortable to you.

Perhaps you should look into a longneck uke (one with a tenor neck and concert or soprano body). That way you can get the brighter sound with the comfort of the tenor neck fret spacing.

I have the Makala Concert and it was set up with aquila strings. To me it sounds pretty bright. The Makala is a really good uke at that price range (gotta have aquila strings on it). The Tenor will produce a lower (little) sound. Is it possible to play them before you buy?

You'll also have to decide whether you want a Hi g (rentrant) or Low g (linear) string. The low g is more like a guitar whereas you get an extra 5 notes to play with; much like a guitar. Being a guitar player for so many years, I like the low g on my tenors and am thinking on playing with a hi g on one of them. At that price range I like what Missa says about a longneck. Are they available in that price range?

Top Bottom