PLEASE HELP: Makala Tenor or Makai TK 55 Tenor?

Makai Tk 55 or Makala Mk T?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theresaamusic

Reaction score
Im having a lot of trouble choosing between the two, Im planning to install Aquila strings into the new uke I will buy, but I'm not sure which sounds best. The Makai is more expensive than the Makala, about 6 dollars more, almost reaching 90 dollars total. I listened to thr Makala with Aquilas, but I listened to the Makai without Aquilas. The Makala was better than the Makai, but that might have been the strings.

Please help, if anyone has had one of these please tell me about it and which I should get.

I have the Makai TK55 and like it quite a bit. Have not played the Makala. Stock strings on the Makai are not great, GHS. Aquilas are much better. I replaced the Aquilas with Worth clears after a few month and wow what a difference! Felt like it made it a whole new instrument, very clear notes, bell like at the highs. It sounds great, workmanship is flawless on my uke. It's certainly not a Kanilea but it is the uke I took on a short getaway to the coast last month. All that said, I bought it from Hawaii Music Supply and they changed the strings to Aquilas and set it up. I think the setup is imperative for a low end uke unless you can do it yourself.

I think with both being laminate ukes, they'll probably sound very similar. I voted for the Makai, just because it has a bone nut and saddle (which, in addition to closed back tuners, probably accounts for the price difference). I have a solid spruce top Makai which I like very much...I think it's a decent uke. I've purchased the Makala tenor for my nephew and that, too, is a decent uke (even with the GhS strings it came with). I don't think you'll be disappointed in either....the difference between the two will probably be too insignificant for you to hear.

ETA: I agree with PP, buy from a reputable uke dealer that provides setup. It's really important for these entry level ukes. I bought the Makala from HMS and the Makai from Uke Republic.

Top Bottom