Humidifier?

BIGDB

Reaction score
I have a old Martin style 3 that is cracked and I'm wondering if it would be good to get a humidifier to stop it from cracking anymore or just preserving it

If so what is a good one?

Thanks

I use Oasis, but other will say "sponge in a ziplock bag with holes punched in it."

Use what it takes to get the job done. Oasis used to make a "luthier" model humidifier. The difference is it released more moisture more quickly to humidify abused instruments. Hope that helps.

I made myself a humidifier using one of those plastic paper clip holders (with a hole at the top) and a damp sponge. Works so far!

Wish I had a new uke every time this comes up.. lol..

Yes, get one. It won't repair damage, but will keep it from getting more damaged, depending on your climate. If you live in a humid region, especially during the summer, it wouldn't have much effect, because all it is is moisture transfer, and if your humidity in your area is equalized with the stellar level that it should be anyway, a humidifier won't add any value. Dryer climates, especially in dryer seasons like winter, of course they will release moisture to try and equalize the humidity to the ambient climate. So, going into summer, it isn't that big of an advantage if any (depending of course on your geographic location).

Anyway, they are cheap, and very good insurance for dryer climates, and seasons. I make my own for pennies, using 35mm film canisters, and clay disks, and moisture pellets. But again, I don't pay much attention to them during the wetter summer months. Many cheap ways to make your own really. Search the term here, and you will have more reading and suggestions than you can read in one evening..

Can you afford to get the crack repaired? I would strongly advise it.

How dry is the environment? Are you sure that you even need humidification?

If you really want to make sure that the crack doesn't get any worse, get it cleated / repaired.

I hear that is a great one. But for that price, I can make about 100 humidifiers, ;). But, me being a poor SOB, and a tinker'r, just find it not only much cheaper, but more convinent to make or build what I need. The rich buy, the poor improvise, hahhah... (this is in jest of course.. Except the part about being poor, hahhah). But yes, if you aren't a DIY'er, that is a great choice..

I don't have the money now but in a month or so I'm gonna

That's a good idea. It will stabilize the crack and keep it from spreading. It's a great ukulele, one of the best ever made IMO and in the opinion of many others.

I have a old Martin style 3 that is cracked and I'm wondering if it would be good to get a humidifier to stop it from cracking anymore or just preserving it

If so what is a good one?

Thanks

What part of SoCal do you call home? During the summer it ought to be humid enough on the coast to not actually *need* a humidifier (for instance, today's humidity in Santa Monica reads 58% -- just about perfect for solid wood ukes). I mean, I've got my Kanile'a and an all-solid guitar just sitting out in my room without any worry at all over dryness because it just isn't dry. Hot, yes, but not really dry.

If you're way out in Barstow, however, then you absolutely need a humidifier!

Getting a hygrometer is a great idea, so at least you have a clue as to the ambient humidity. Remember, too much moisture can be a problem as well.

Top Bottom