Doing upgrades to standard ukes?

amandadverse

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure where this belonged!

I have a Makala MK-S. Nothing fancy. But since it's my first uke, it's special to me. And since I'm broke(ish), I'd like to use it for as long as possible. I used to tinker with my guitars all of the time (changing pickups, pick guards, tuners, knobs, everything), and I was wondering if this was an option for ukes as well?

I've seen tuners for sale, but I was also wondering if changing the saddle was an option. Or....well, anything else!

I'm also considering making some aesthetic changes. Like using a wood burning tool or ink/paint to create some traditional Hawaiian/Samoan designs. But the idea of using a wood burner on an instrument scares the heck outta me. :uhoh:

Hardly a collectible instrument, but...

Do the current tuners work well? If not, change them. If they do, then it's a uke jewelry decision, but...will changing leave a "footprint" of the old tuners? Would you care?

Is the saddle (and/or nut) plastic? If so, change it (them).

Woodburning...now you're entering the realm of making the uke highly personal. If you don't think you'll ever sell it, then go for it; see comment #1 above...

I've heard so many good things about them, I'd just put in some grover tuners (less than $20 for decent ones) when I installed a bone nut and saddle.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure where this belonged!

I have a Makala MK-S. Nothing fancy. But since it's my first uke, it's special to me. And since I'm broke(ish), I'd like to use it for as long as possible. I used to tinker with my guitars all of the time (changing pickups, pick guards, tuners, knobs, everything), and I was wondering if this was an option for ukes as well?

I've seen tuners for sale, but I was also wondering if changing the saddle was an option. Or....well, anything else!

I'm also considering making some aesthetic changes. Like using a wood burning tool or ink/paint to create some traditional Hawaiian/Samoan designs. But the idea of using a wood burner on an instrument scares the heck outta me. :uhoh:

I'm looking for a cool design to woodburn onto my Peanut. ;) No guts, no glory!

With a solid body, it's not an issue. Careful with lacquer/poly burning fumes though. That can be nasty.

With a solid body uke is that an issue? I had no idea! I was going to diddle around on the back first, just to see if it looked stupid. Which it may.

Sorry, since this is primarily an acoustic board, I was think acoustic. I have no idea what a peanut is. Outside of the obvious of course.

Made from particle board composed of crushed peanut shells? What do they do with those things, anyway?

You can fiddle with action height and intonation until the uke sounds "perfect", unless you already love the way it sounds. As stated you can upgrade the saddle and nut to bone.

Hardly a collectible instrument, but...

Do the current tuners work well? If not, change them. If they do, then it's a uke jewelry decision, but...will changing leave a "footprint" of the old tuners? Would you care?

Is the saddle (and/or nut) plastic? If so, change it (them).

Woodburning...now you're entering the realm of making the uke highly personal. If you don't think you'll ever sell it, then go for it; see comment #1 above...

I am well aware that it's not a "collectible" instrument. If it were collectible, I certainly wouldn't be considering marring it with permanent artistic designs. I like to tinker, and I can't afford a really nice instrument. I am looking for options to improve the overall sound and playability. Perhaps I was not specific enough in my initial post.

I've heard so many good things about them, I'd just put in some grover tuners (less than $20 for decent ones) when I installed a bone nut and saddle.

I was trying to find new tuners, without much luck. What I did find was pretty basic no-name equipment, so thanks for a specific name I can hunt for!

I'm looking for a cool design to woodburn onto my Peanut. ;) No guts, no glory!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking of going crazy with a wood burner! ;)

Just make sure you don't compromise the top by doing so.

This is what I'm afraid of. My uke is certainly made of some sort of composite or plywood, and I am not sure what kind of effect wood burning would have on this. Perhaps I'll stick with making a stencil and using a high-quality paint that won't wick.

Top Bottom