Kamaka 4 String Tenor Premium Curly Koa Ukulele. 2004 - barely played - looks new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawikasurf

Reaction score
IMG_1050.jpgIMG_1054.jpgIMG_1063.jpgIMG_1069.jpgIMG_1072.jpgI bought this wonderful, pre-owned Kamaka four-string curly koa tenor ukulele about three months ago from a really nice older guy (like me). He purchased it new in 2004. He was a guitar player and thought he’d give the ukulele a try. He played this instrument only a few times, lost interest, and then let it sit untouched for several years in it's cozy case in a dark closet. He finally decided to sell it. Meanwhile, I had just lost my beloved 2007 Kamaka concert (please don’t ask - it’s just too painful to recount) and needed another Kamaka - QUICKLY - to (slightly) ease the sting of my loss. The newly-purchased Kamaka tenor is a lovely instrument but I guess I'm just too accustomed to concert ukuleles (I own several of them) - I found it hard to make the switch to a tenor. I played the “new” (i.e. used) Kamaka for a couple of weeks and then found myself drifting back a Koaloha concert which I’ve owned for years. I’ll probably buy another Kamaka concert eventually (I need to own a Kamaka). So far so good, right? But, here’s where the plot thickens. After remaining pristine for several years, the “new” (i.e. used) Kamaka tenor suffered - not a scratch really but pressure indentations in the finish (it does not extend into the wood) when I handed it to a very sweet lady who played it with while wearing a heavy bracelet. I made a special point to to show off the indentations in the photo - I had to turn the uke in just the way right way so that the light hit at an angle that made the indentation visible. Under normal circumstances, you’d never notice it (please note the photo immediately following the one that shows the indentations). Otherwise, the instrument is spotless. I paid $1,200 for this tenor Kamaka only three months ago - they’re very hard to find. Remember, too, that this is the premium koa model - Kamaka charges more for this. I’ll knock-off $100 for the indentation. The selling price is $1,100. Oh, and I put new Aquila strings on it (not a big deal - just thought I’d mention it). If you’re local and we can meet, there’s obviously no charge for shipping. If shipping is required, I’ll ship it to you in it's hard case (it isn't a Kamaka case) and take it to UPS to be professionally packed and shipped. I’ll pass along the direct cost of that to you (I’m guessing it could be around $40 but I’ll have to find-out for certain), along with the cost of insurance, which I’m afraid I’m going to have to make mandatory. Sorry about that - I just can’t afford to take the hit if this lovely instrument were to be lost or damaged in transit. If we get close on this, I’ll gladly make you a video and post it on Vimeo and/or set-up a Skype call so that you can hear it. But it’s a Kamaka - it sounds wonderful. Mahola nui for reading this ridiculously-long post. - David

Last edited:
Wow! That's a beauty. Too bad about the ding. Really sucks when someone else damages your baby.

Wow! That's a beauty. Too bad about the ding. Really sucks when someone else damages your baby.

Mahalo Kirbo. I'm usually soo careful - I always watch for clunky belt buckles and jacket zippers - didn't think to notice the bracelet. Handed it to her, turned away for a few minutes, and then noticed the indentation a couple of days later. Learning my lesson, I just bought a couple of "expendables" online to have onhand for enthusiastic beginners who express an interest in learning a couple of chords so I don't have to appear selfish or overly-protective. If someone lets me play their uke I handle it as a museum piece. Hard to get mad at a beginner though - it's my fault, not hers. She didn't know any better.

PM'd you earlier today.

kamaka uke

Hi, sent you pm, but not sure if it went thru I'd like to buy your Kamaka please call me 405=315=8645 thanks Greg Ward

Hey, I'm your neighbor in Huntington Beach. At least you could respond to let me know if you sold your Kamaka. I could drive down and pick it up if we could make a deal.

Ty Moyer
Huntington Beach, CA

Hi Ty. I'm so sorry - I got really slammmed with flu or something and spent 4 days in bed with high fevers. I completely forgot to close the thread and wasn't online to read your post. Thanks so much for your interest. Greg (see earlier post) bought the Kamaka. He was the first one to come-in with an offer. I'm really sorry about leaving you hanging, Ty. I feel truly bad about it. If it helps, Greg seems like a great guy. He doesn't have a lot of uke players in his part of the country and not many chances to see and play a lot of other instruments. I think the uke went to a very good home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom