All Around The World (Grits Ain't Groceries)

drbekken

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/lHHtfM3HtyY

A song by Titus Turner, picked up from the wonderful album 'Classified' by the late New Orleans pianist James Booker, an all-too underrecognized performer. He was a master.

ridiculously good. You're the best goin round doc. I needs to make me an appointment bad

... the late New Orleans pianist James Booker, an all-too underrecognized performer. He was a master.

Leave it to a piano player who knows his New Orleans repretoire like few others (seriously - and I'm including a lot of locals), to come up with this gem, and an orginal rendition at that (though I never heard the Turner version).

As an aside, Booker (the Piano Prince of New Orleans) was an incredible player - boogie, barrelhouse, blues, classical, creole waltz - stuff you never heard of. He could glide effortlessly from one end of the keyboard to the other, and would all the time do things like throw a classical run into the middle of a blues piece. His style was continuos, spontaneous improvisation. He also had a terrible drug habit - died relatively young. That and his unique "Unclassified" style is why he's not better known.

One very sad night I'll never ever forget, Booker was playing the intermission at a club called Snug Harbor. A little while after he finished, I went to the restroom to find him on the floor sprinkled with his own vomit. I found some people who knew him better than I - they put him in a taxi - he seemed at least somewhat recovered by then. I guess he got home alright, and inside as well, but they found him dead the next day.

It was an immeasurable loss for us here, and for all the world who didn't get to know him better.

Last edited:
Are you sure you weren't born in New Orleans...wow that was great...and glad to see that Rogue back in business... keep um coming Doc

Leave it to a piano player who knows his New Orleans repretoire like few others (seriously - and I'm including a lot of locals), to come up with this gem, and an orginal rendition at that (though I never heard the Turner version).

As an aside, Booker (the Piano Prince of New Orleans) was an incredible player - boogie, barrelhouse, blues, classical, creole waltz - stuff you never heard of. He could glide effortlessly from one end of the keyboard to the other, and would all the time do things like throw a classical run into the middle of a blues piece. His style was continuos, spontaneous improvisation. He also had a terrible drug habit - died relatively young. That and his unique "Unclassified" style is why he's not better known.

One very sad night I'll never ever forget, Booker was playing the intermission at a club called Snug Harbor. A little while after he finished, I went to the restroom to find him on the floor sprinkled with his own vomit. I found some people who knew him better than I - they put him in a taxi - he seemed at least somewhat recovered by then. I guess he got home alright, and inside as well, but they found him dead the next day.

It was an immeasurable loss for us here, and for all the world who didn't get to know him better.

You're SO right, Dirk. James Booker was totally unique. He falls into that long line of people with god-given talent who somehow can't make it in this cruel world. I love everything he recorded. It's the essence of life, as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom