How cool can it feel?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
An awesome feeling I have today. Please no pats on my back, that is not why I post this stuff. I post this stuff in hopes it might inspire all of us to continue spreading the love of music, that's what it is all about over and above a single person's act. I almost decided not to tell this tale in fear it would sound boastful, and for selfish reasons, but I assure you it's about making a difference in a young person's life and their love of music and creating it.

That said. My wife and I have always loved antiques, especially vintage instruments only being a part of that. Many years ago, even tho none of my family really play a piano (we are a string oriented family) bought a 1920s player piano with a rich history. Well, there is this 15 year old young woman that has been a good friend of my daughter since kindergarten. She's an awesome kid with her own personal hardships, one being her father was in an accident when she was a young girl and now disabled with a brain injury, and can not support their family. Her mother works hard to fill that void, but they have a hard time of it. And they are an awesome family really. Anyway. This young woman and her mother were at our home last week. This young woman has always loved music, and plays borrowed flutes, clarinets, and other wind instruments she borrows from the school. She plays in the band, and is actually quite good. She has always loved our old piano, and like to play on it. She talked this week about her decision to go to college and major in the arts, and music and wants to get into theater behind the scenes as well play herself. She casually mentioned she wished she had a piano at home to play, and how much she loves to come to our house to talk music and play on ours, along with the guitars, and flutes my daughter and wife have. She loves not only any piano, but loves the history ours has and it's old charm as we do. After they left, I talked to the wife, and we decided it was the right thing to do, and yesterday, we asked her back over. We decided to give our old player piano to this girl so she can play it anytime she wishes, in her own home (with the condition she never stops coming over to our house). her and her mother fell apart, and didn't accept at first, until we explained to her it was the right thing to do for the young lady. And all we ask is that she continues her love of music, and plays the heck out of that piano. It's a better home for it, seeing we don't play it much here. The pride on the girls face as her own piano owner is priceless, and you simply can't buy the good stuff like that. Sure, I'll miss the old piano and we still love it. But, the right thing, is the right thing regardless of self.

Point is, it is all our duties to do what we need to do to support the young people to keep music in their lives, and to share it with anyone that will listen. I feel awesome for her today. Life is good.. They should be picking up her piano as soon as they rearrange things in their home to put it. I love it..

Ok. Not patting you on the back....BUT....that was a really awesome thing you guys did for her!!!

Very Aloha of you.

I've given away a total of four ukes so far to kids (two nephews, a god daughter, and my niece by default), and I totally understand the feeling you have about handing over music. Like you, I don't do it for bragging rights, but because it's the right thing.

You just made another huge deposit in your karma account.

Feels good, doesn't it? I gave my piano away to a dad who was teaching his five year old to play. Reminded me of that awesome time with my dad. The girl even had the same first name as me, so I felt it was meant to be. :)

I hope she always remembers your generosity.

It does. I am so happy for the young girl. Like I said, she has always been a sweet kid, and seeing her stand there staring at her old piano was priceless. I know the piano will be happier too being played. We gave her a butt load of scrolls too (not sure if I mentioned, it's a player piano), and she has always gotten a real kick out of hearing those on it too over the years.

Top Bottom