Holding the ukulele while sitting

Eures

Reaction score
There is someone who doesn't need any strap:

I wanted to ask, quite a lot can hold the instrument in this way or just a few?

Last edited:
Was how he holds his uke the only thing that impressed you? :D

There is someone who doesn't need any strap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2nZF-pZ1g&feature=player_embedded

I wanted to ask, quite a lot can hold the instrument in this way or just a few?

A tenor seems to be easy to rest on the leg like that. But I play soprano and don't use a strap 95% of the time, whether sitting or standing.

That is a beautiful session. I really do need to buy an album of his playing, it's lovely background music for work.

Holy Cr*p!!! I have seen him before but am always amazed at his talent!

James Hill's playing is incredible ... as are many other great uke players ... while sitting and playing without using straps.

Here's Kalei Gamiao. Check out his crazy fast strumming and fingerpicking:

I mean, holding the istrument is a basic thing.

This way the instrument does not fall, for example open strings (what I can do):

But on the right leg I need to support the neck in some way, James seems not...

Last edited:
Here's Troy Fernandez, my favorite! His playing style is unique and he's a great showman who is really fun to watch:

Okay, I have to admit that at first blush I thought this was going to be one of those adult-themed gag videos with a completely different take on the no-need-for-a-strap-to-hold-the-uke-in-place-in-your-lap-while-playing-next-to-a-pretty-girl punchline.

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or not that it wasn't.

Okay, I have to admit that at first blush I thought this was going to be one of those adult-themed gag videos with a completely different take on the no-need-for-a-strap-to-hold-the-uke-in-place-in-your-lap-while-playing-next-to-a-pretty-girl punchline.

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or not that it wasn't.

You are right, I had to cut in half the video first, because it's really impossible not to notice Anne's femininity...

I've never used a strap before myself - well, not before midnight anyway :uhoh: but what I want to know is, how to people play with so much ease while standing?????

...oh, they use a strap I guess :eek:ld:

It's amazing how James Hill's ukulele seems attached to his hip. Unlike Jake and Kalei, it doesn't look like he's really holding it tight with either hand/arm.

That is an awesome session. But my question is, where can I get one of those really big ukes like the girl is playing? ;)

Seriously, that is cool. I was halfway through the session before I realized the rhythm section was coming from his feet. Really cool.

Last edited:
Man o man o man! First time seeing James play - simply outstanding! Absolute control and makes it look effortless, and tapping out the two step while he plays to boot. Really really great stuff. The Troy Fernandez clip was also awesome - what grace and style. Really really loved that. I had seen the Kalei video before and it blows me away - almost seems beyond comprehension that someone can strum and alternately pick that fast. Interestingly enough, I didn't get off on the Jake performance nearly as much as the others. Don't get me wrong, it was truly spectacular and light years beyond what I'll ever do, but it just didn't move me as much - almost too much fancy stuff for me.

Top Bottom