Sincerest form of flattery

DeVineGuitars

Reaction score
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Look familiar?

551047_407067699334124_1490112966_n.jpg
devine-ukuleles.jpg

Isn't Flea Market Music offering a hibiscus cutout now too?

FLUKE%20Mango%20Hib%20Cutout-DET1.jpg

And Ukulele Mania.

DS01630777_main_thumb.jpg;jsessionid=82CF7515F219779517A708493EC29320.rm10

Last edited:
Your work is beautiful, Eric.

Most soundhole cutouts remind me of tattoo flash art. I have thought about getting a uke with the shape of Michigan as the cutout!

Stunning.
Your instruments are in a class by themselves.
Nobody will ever confuse Flea Market with DeVine.

All other ukulele companies may as well put a hibiscus cut out on a cigar box. They're not going to get close to your quality and attention to detail. :)

Ho, Bruddah Eric!

SHEESH!!! I guess people weren't kidding that there are imitations of everything out there! Like Shazzbot said, your instruments are in a class of their own - simply AMAZING!

Chuck and Eric, you two are in a class all of your own. It sucks that people took advantage of your design Eric, but frankly your ukes can't be beat. They can throw your soundhole on a crap laminate but it won't even come close to the art that is one of your ukes.

And I've never seen anyone get inlays quite like you, Chuck. They might try, but you do it right.

I don't think either of you have much to fear as far as competition goes...as far as the design stealing and infringement goes, well, certain people suck.

I'll take the uke on the right in the original post.

Your work is beautiful, Eric.

Most soundhole cutouts remind me of tattoo flash art. I have thought about getting a uke with the shape of Michigan as the cutout!

I saw an electric guitar shaped like the UP and a uke with a sound hole shaped like Indiana.

Somehow I doubt that anyone would be confused by an imitator when it comes to a DeVine or Moore Bettah uke.

I say let the babies have their bottle. The folks who buy the knock offs wouldn't be your customers anyway. Those who know, KNOW. And those are your people.

I don't let it ruffle my feathers too much. What's the point. Any design, whether it inlay, shapes or soundholes, that is appealing will eventually be copied. What I found shocking is how many companies have "adopted" the soundhole.
In a way, I think it keeps pushing us to do better work and keep moving to the next level.

I don't let it ruffle my feathers too much. What's the point. Any design, whether it inlay, shapes or soundholes, that is appealing will eventually be copied. What I found shocking is how many companies have "adopted" the soundhole.
In a way, I think it keeps pushing us to do better work and keep moving to the next level.

See, this is why you succeed. The company I work for lets every little thing drag the front office down and they get stuck in this cycle of blame and threats, when what they really need to do is figure out what the next big thing is going to be and drive it home. I like how you're looking at this, because it really is the only way to make it in luthiery. If you do what everyone else is doing, then why would I bother buying something from you?

Hopefully I'll be able to buy a uke from you soon.

Thanks Ben. You are right, if we all just focused on improving ourselves, the world would be a better place. Karma will take care of the others.

The Ukulele itself has been copied since the beginning...and improved throughout the years by many...as in everything on this planet....there will
always a few who will ride on the coattails of others....Karma will get them in the end.... it shows how far some people will go on bad ethics and morals
for greed... reputation to me is foremost, even far more than money can ever replace..

Thanks Ben. You are right, if we all just focused on improving ourselves, the world would be a better place. Karma will take care of the others.

Exactly.....Keep on improving.....and continuous learning will never part with us until we rest in peace, Eric.

Top Bottom