What kind of strings does a Lanikai LU 21 c have?

iRockskinnies

Reaction score
I just want to know what kind they are because I want to buy a new uke but Im also going to get Aquila strings.

Also, is a set up for a uke really important? What difference does it make? Im thinking of getting either a Makala concert or tenor from HMS with aquila strings, or. lanikai lu 21 c that is just the original/regular uke with aquila strings.

The LU21C comes with Aquila strings.

Setup is critical, far more important than the strings.

All of the low-to-mid-range ukes are very hit and miss from the factory. Therefore, I consider a setup pretty much essential unless you just like overcoming as many obstacles as possible while learning to play... :)

John

All of the low-to-mid-range ukes are very hit and miss from the factory. Therefore, I consider a setup pretty much essential unless you just like overcoming as many obstacles as possible while learning to play... :)

John

I keep hearing people talking about setting up a uke but it's always assumed that everyone knows what it means.

Would the setup just be putting it into one piece? Is there a difference in the setup for the exact same uke for different websites?

Set up

John

Do you know where I can get a Lanikai LU 21 c set up?
Would consider the lanikai straight out of the box or the makala c with set up and aquilas?

A good store will do it for you out of courtesy. Buy from Wal Mart though and you are on your own. My advice - go to a real store, pick the instrument up (or at least phone them if mail order) and ask them to check on nut and saddle for action and intonation. If they refuse, choose another store.

lanikia lu21c

I recently bought a LU21C from a local secondhand shop. It was only 2 months old (receipt was in box ). It had never been set up and was unplayable. The action at the NUT was very very high and forming any chord pulled the strings out of tune.It also took a lot of effort and changing chords was a pain in the hand. The strings sat in 4 groves nearly on top of the nut, the groves looked like they had been cut with a hacksaw. The ukulele sounded nice once tuned and all strings played open.

I set up the Ukulele, polished the frets and fitted new Aquila Nylgut strings. A small label in the box said it had been origionaly fitted with these but since it was secondhand decided to give it a treat :)

This was my first Ukulele, I am a ex guitar player so still had some files and bits from years gone by. I would say never buy any stringed instrument without having it set up. The factory set up on these cheaper begineer ukes seems nearly non existant.

Top Bottom