First banjo ukulele

MountainUker

Reaction score
I've been playing an Aria Soprano uke for about a year now, nothing fancy but decent. Really enjoying it but getting really interested in a banjo uke. What would be a good choice for stating out? South Africa seems to have a small uke community so I haven't come across any banjo ukes here. I usually prefer to play on an instrument before buying it but it doesn't seem like an option. Any thoughts?

I was about to post on this topic myself. I live in South Korea, so I don't see many banjoleles around here (except for Fireflies at one store in Seoul). I have recently become interested in George Formby's style, so I have the same question. What should I order if I can't play many first?

I was about to post on this topic myself. I live in South Korea, so I don't see many banjoleles around here (except for Fireflies at one store in Seoul). I have recently become interested in George Formby's style, so I have the same question. What should I order if I can't play many first?

I am on my second Eddy Finn banjo uke. A chinese made instrument. I am not a big fan of Asian made banjo ukes but these are pretty decent.
My choice would be a vintage model, plenty available on E Bay. Slingerland, Lyon & Healy, Lange, any of these are well worth buying depending on condition obviously.

This question may do better on Buying Tips

Personally I wouldn't touch a Firefly as there is no way to tighten/tension the head.
There's a Goldtone for sale here for $235.00. If you live outside the USA you're out of luck though ;)

I have one of the Eddy Finn banjo ukes with the removable resonator, the one with the antique brass finish. I really like it. The Eddy Finn ukes are not as consistent as the banjo ukes though. Get one from someone who will do a good setup on it before shipping it out to you. With a setup, they're great. Straight from the factory to your door, not so much.

I'd build one custom(soprano/concert) for 150 with a redwood body and a tuneable head if anyone is interested.

I have a Goldtone and love it. It's got a lot of character to the sound.

I'd build one custom(soprano/concert) for 150 with a redwood body and a tuneable head if anyone is interested.

Interested! Tell us more!

built my first one here:
It contains parts from Mainlandukulele (cost around 90USD shipped) and a vintage redwood bowl (8.5 inch diameter) from circa 1930 as well as miscellaneous hardware (TUSQ nut, Aquila strings etc)- this one is a prototype that has since been improved in sound and playability.
I can also do a Teak bowl (8 inch diameter) with a MEINL vinyl skin and a soprano scale.

Interested! Tell us more!

built my first one here:
It contains parts from Mainlandukulele (cost around 90USD shipped) and a vintage redwood bowl (8.5 inch diameter) from circa 1930 as well as miscellaneous hardware (TUSQ nut, Aquila strings etc)- this one is a prototype that has since been improved in sound and playability.
I can also do a Teak bowl (8 inch diameter) with a MEINL vinyl skin and a soprano scale.

So cool! I think I would try the Teak bowl personally... I should probably start PMing you :) .

I've been thinking about a banjo uke for a few weeks now, and thought I was going to win an eBay auction for one, so I have all these supplies on the way: Aquila banjo uke strings, a bridge, Ping tuners. I should just mail them all to you!

I upgraded my Eddy Finn with new Aquilas, the strings that come with them are truly awful. I also replaced the head with a Calf skin vellum for that authentic Banjo uke sound.
Plastic scratchy remo heads just don't cut it on a banjo uke.

Top Bottom