View Full Version : Aquila Red Series unwound low G strings

mimmo
06-07-2012, 06:37 AM
from now they are available in the market
ciao
Mimmo :)

The Big Kahuna
06-07-2012, 06:46 AM
From your address, I'm guessing you work for Aquila, no ?

Thanks for the message anyway :)

The Big Kahuna
06-07-2012, 06:48 AM
From your address, I'm guessing you work for Aquila, no ?

Thanks for the message anyway :)

You know, sometimes I just need to read through someone's previous posts to see if I can answer my own question.

This was one of those times...

luluwrites
06-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Anyone have a tip on where to buy them?

mimmo
06-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi,
I am the Aquila owner and founder
Mimmo Vicenza, italy

Kanaka916
06-07-2012, 08:19 AM
These are the codes for Aquila Red Series along with the prices in Euros . . .
-Single packaged 4th unwound Soprano Low G tuning 1.90 Euros, Code 70U (gauge: 1.00 mm)
-Single packaged 4th unwound Concert Low G tuning 1.90 Euros, Code 71U (gauge: 1.03 mm)
-Single packaged 4th unwound Tenor Low G tuning 1.90 Euros, Code 72U (gauge: 1.06 mm)
-Single packaged 3rd G unwound Baritone, DGBE tuning 1.90 Euros, Code 73U (gauge: 1.00 mm)
-Single packaged 4th D unwound Baritone DGBE tuning 2.00 Euros, Code 74U (gauge: 1.28 mm)

Ordering from their site is quite confusing as these strings aren't listed in the online store. Hopefully Mimmo will be able to assist.

mimmo
06-07-2012, 08:23 AM
You are right about the Confusion. Tomorrow my secretary will do a good job on the online store. However you can ask to local stores . They will ask to our distributors and everything in few weeks will be' ok.
Mimmo

luluwrites
06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks Mimmo!
I'm really looking forward to trying these out -- but I can wait a bit until they are more readily available. I'll keep checking my favorite shops . . .

mimmo
06-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Ok but .... In the table was not added that these prices are the launch prices how it is written in the website. Just a precisation.
Ciao mimmo

connor013
06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Gratzi, Mimmo.

For those intrigued: I've found the red Aquila low G to be the best bet if you don't want a wound string. They're fantastic -- they don't overpower the other strings when strummed.

erivel
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Gratzi, Mimmo.

For those intrigued: I've found the red Aquila low G to be the best bet if you don't want a wound string. They're fantastic -- they don't overpower the other strings when strummed.

I agree, thanks Mimmo!

Dmitri
06-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Has anyone tried the Aquila Red 78U, or another Red for C third string on a tenor uke? I'm thinking Reds for 3 and 4 could be useful?

Sporin
06-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Just ordered one from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUILA-RED-SERIES-SINGLE-UNWOUND-LOW-G-AND-BARITONE-D-UKULELE-STRING-/370623059016#ht_2227wt_907

Gmoney
06-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Just ordered one from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUILA-RED-SERIES-SINGLE-UNWOUND-LOW-G-AND-BARITONE-D-UKULELE-STRING-/370623059016#ht_2227wt_907

Cool! Ordered 4 strings.

erivel
06-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Got 5 tenor strings from them on Wednesday. Good deal and fast shipping.

haole
06-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Just got some from Dr. Cluck too. First impressions are that they sound, feel, and look good! They're REALLY stretchy and rubbery, though. The one on my Flea is wrapped around the peg about 12 times. Thinner than the Fremont or Worth alternatives (about the same thickness as the C string), which is a plus. Still have to break mine in, but so far, so good.

coolkayaker1
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
So, let me understand...you just use white Aquilas for CEA, and add a red Aquila for low G?

(BTW, it says free shipping on every one after the first one, but it doesn't work that way for me when I check out, so likely will buy from another retailer other than eBay link)

coolkayaker1
06-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Kewl. Thx..

Sporin
06-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Got mine quick video... http://ukemafia.com/aqula-red-series-string-video/

I agree, SUPER stretch, but initial impression is positive. Will be curious how they break in.

Dan Uke
06-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Did anyone use it without Aquila for the other strings? I bought 3 but don't like Aquilas.

~dave~~wave~
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the link, I snagged the last two tenors available Saturday night and received them yesterday.

Got mine quick video... http://ukemafia.com/aqula-red-series-string-video/

I agree, SUPER stretch, but initial impression is positive. Will be curious how they break in.

I like your analogy of the feel of the string being paper vs. plastic.
:cool:

As everybody has stated, very stretchy, but mine stabilized well overnight.

The string is so thick I couldn't thread it twice through the tuning peg on my Lanikai, so I tied a knot. It fits just fine in the nut slot.

I couldn't be happier, I would burn through a wound low G about every 10-15 hours of playing.
Now what do I do with the ten spares I have stashed? :p

To Mimmo: Molte grazie, il nostro amico.

Here are some pics:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7457057522_5eccbdab00_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27496798@N05/7457057522/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8026/7457056982_d0c528df7e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27496798@N05/7457056982/)

Sporin
06-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Did anyone use it without Aquila for the other strings? I bought 3 but don't like Aquilas.

Not yet, I do have a set of D’Addario J71′s to replace the C, E & A Aquila's but I wanted to not change everything at once to get a fair comparison.

Gmoney
06-28-2012, 05:13 PM

I will be this weekend; replacing the high G on a set of D'addario T2's (LoPrinzi tenor) & on a set of Southcoast mediums (KoAloha Superconcert). I'll do before & after sound samples & maybe a video w/my new zoom Q3HD.

~dave~~wave~
06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I haven't seen this link posted here to the Aquila site with some more videos: http://aquilacorde.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=1656&lang

uke42
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM

I just ordered a few (2 concert and 4 tenors) from Dr. Cluck due to all the positive comments from everyone regarding these strings. They must have gotten a few more tenor strings back in stock. Anxiously awaiting their arrival. How is the volume of these strings compared to an Aquila wound low g?

Sporin
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I believe "Just Strings" is carrying them now as well, though they aren't listed on their website yet. http://www.juststrings.com/aquilaukuleleothersinglestrings.html

Good company that I, and others in my local Uke Club have dealt with before.

aido
07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
I've just ordered some Tenor Low Gs from the Aquila website for shipping to Australia.

The adventure begins...

The Big Kahuna
07-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Are the strings textured ? I like the look of those.

Sporin
07-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Are the strings textured ? I like the look of those.

No, I wouldn't call it a texture, but they aren't as smooth as the nylon strings either. In my video I compared the feel of the string to good paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S9ii6gm28o

~dave~~wave~
07-04-2012, 04:20 AM
I jammed with another uke player for a couple of hours last night.

The red low g sounded and felt nice strumming, but when I picked lead it felt a little floppy and buzzed more than a wound string since the tension is less.

I pluck hard, especially when trying to project a melody line, and the string is a little softer in volume than a wound.
So some adjustments to my technique will be in order.

It also went flat faster than a wound in the course of playing.

Still very excited to experiment further with them.
I have a fistful more in all sizes on the way from Dr Cluck.

~dave~~wave~
07-04-2012, 04:30 AM
How is the volume of these strings compared to an Aquila wound low g?

It's less in my experience, so far have only tried a low g on my Lanikai CKT.
To some, that means a more balanced sound, as the wound string tends to overpower the others, depending on the particular uke.

nohoval_turrets
07-04-2012, 05:11 AM
It's less in my experience, so far have only tried a low g on my Lanikai CKT.
To some, that means a more balanced sound, as the wound string tends to overpower the others, depending on the particular uke.

I hope that's true. I use Aquilas on my Kamaka HF-3 and the wound low g really does zing out more than the others. It's hard work to make it blend properly for tone and volume. Just ordered 3 each of the low g's and the c's. We'll see...

uke42
07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Received my Aquila Reds (2 concert and 4 tenors) today. Took only 4 days. That was pretty fast delivery considering Wednesday was a holiday for most people. Thanks Dr. Cluck! Tried them on my Kanile'a K1 Tenor first. As others have said it's a pretty stretchy string but it seems to be settling down quickly and staying in tune. Not any worse then a new regular Nylgut string. Volume is definitely much more muted then a wound Aquila but in a good way. It is more balanced tonal and volume wise with the other strings. It's kind of weird hearing it not overpower the other strings. Sustain is half if not less then a wound string. I like it :) Now I need to try one on one of my concerts.

KyKo
07-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I wonder if Aquila will ever release a set of classical guitar strings that have no wound strings.

Sporin
07-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Been playing mine a lot, extremely happy with it (Red Low G on Islander Tenor).

barefootgypsy
07-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Got concert low G yesterday, only 4 or 5 days delivery from the DrCluck's in the US, no extra charges, fantastic; so easy to buy strings from the States. Have just put it on my Greg Bennett concert and I'm thrilled with it already because everything else I have tried has been totally unsuitable.

The thing is, it keeps its intonation, and nothing else did, although I didn't try a wound string - didn't fancy one at all after a bad experience with one on my banjo-uke. I like the feel of it, it reminds me of the old real gut strings. I think this is a real advance.

1931jim
07-08-2012, 03:29 AM
I like the feel of it, it reminds me of the old real gut strings.
Hello barefootgypsy,
Are those the green smelly ones you played in Vaudeville back in the 20's.?? HaHa!!
Regards
Jim

painterbob
07-08-2012, 07:37 AM
I ordered three Red tenor low Gs and like them a lot. Put one on my tenor which is nice but I also put one on a soprano. I've been wanting a low G soprano for a year but I thought the Aquila wound ones sounded awful. And I had figured it just might not be possible to get a good low G on a soprano but I'm really happy with the Red low G. Not too floppy and pretty balanced. I used the tenor gauge although they sell a soprano gauge but the size difference seemed minimal (1.06mm vs. 1.00mm according to the Aquila site.) So now I have a soprano that sounds like a little guitar to contrast my regular ukey-sounding sopranos.

Oh yea, I also just ordered some Red C strings and am going to try a uke with two Red Strings for the G and C strings. Really anyone should try it out for as cheap as they are. It's like trying out a new uke for $2. A cheap temporary fix for your UAS.

barefootgypsy
07-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Hello barefootgypsy,
Are those the green smelly ones you played in Vaudeville back in the 20's.?? HaHa!!
Regards
JimHello Jim! Ha-ha, I think you must be thinking of some other old gypsy you met back then...... ;D Nice to speak!

barefootgypsy
07-08-2012, 08:56 AM
but I also put one on a soprano. So now I have a soprano that sounds like a little guitar to contrast my regular ukey-sounding sopranos.
That's really interesting! I hadn't seriously thought of putting one on a soprano - but why not, indeed! Great idea! :D

nohoval_turrets
07-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Well I got my reds yesterday, and tried one out on my Kamaka HF-3 tenor.

Stringing: I found it easy to string. I'm in the habit of burning a little ball at the saddle end of the string, and this worked nicely. These strings stretch a LOT, so you really need to stretch it almost to pitch before threading it into the capstan. After a couple of tries I got the hang of it.

Settling in: As everyone has noted, these are REALLY stretchy strings. Nevertheless, I was able to get them to playable stability after about 5 or 10 minutes of stretching/retuning. At that stage they still lost pitch every 5 minutes - but that's enough for a song, so hey. At the end of the evening they were holding pitch pretty good. Seemed stable this morning after a quick stretch and tune.

Sound: Overall sound is definitely more balanced. When strumming, the low g no longer sings out over the rest.

Tone: The tone is on the soft side, but pleasing. I could counter this by using a more emphatic thumb stroke, but this leads to problems with fret buzz - see below.

Feel: The feel is strange - it's more easily deformed and feels floppier than the rest, but I can live with that. It's a sort of a rubbery feel, but I like it.

Texture: These aren't smooth strings. The surface texture is not a problem - it gives a nice touch to the strings, and doesn't cause excessive noise.

Intonation: The intonation up the neck is excellent.

Sustain: The sustain is good. With the wound low g I always found it too long on low fret positions and too short on high fret positions. The red is more even, and more like the other strings.

Problems: I do get some fret buzz at low fret positions, most obviously at the 1st/2nd fret. I did a thorough check for all the usual suspects for buzz, and it's definitely the fret. I think this is because the rubberiness of the string gives it a greater travel when vibrating. This doesn't happen so much when strumming, but picking is a problem. This is probably exacerbated by my classical guitar-style technique, which tends to emphasize vibration perpendicular to the soundboard.

Overall my impressions are positive, but the fret-buzz issue could be a deal-breaker. We'll see how it is when it's had more time to settle in.

RETSOP
07-12-2012, 05:10 PM
In short: a qualified Wow! I have a thread wherein I discussed a problem I was having with "buzz". Member Louis0815 clued me in to these strings and I followed the Forum to research these. I am so glad that he did and I did. I'll address the specifics in my other thread but the bottom line is that these strings improved two different Ukes that I had, including an Oscar Schmidt OU-2T tenor and an inexpensive Makala concert. Oddly enough the specially noticeable difference was in the Makala - maybe because the low G gave the instrument such a more mellow sound. In any event, for an investment of $4.00+- you can really improve many a ukulele. I happen to have a house full of family right now and the improvement in sound is not just to my ears (and my son is quite an accomplished amateur musician).

By-the-way, Dr. Cluck (and the USPS) got these to me REALLY fast and, without my asking, "bundled" the two together to cut the shipping. Great Service, Dr. Cluck!

Again, though, these strings are really cool. If you have a ukulele with a decent sized sound box it is an extremely cheap way to get a "tenor" uke, especially if you have more than one lying around (as most of us uke owners are prone for doing). I'm really intrigued, now, with the idea of putting it on a soprano Peanut, since the amplification takes away the concern of the size of the body (but my fingers will still be kinda big for a small fretboard).

Aside from the cool factor the other things to mention are, as has been suggested by other posters, the Red Aquilas have just the right volume for typical other ukulele strings (mine have been coupled with regular aquilas I had placed on the tenor and whatever where the plain nylon strings on the Makala) and a sound that aren't metallic AND a "cozy"/pleasant feel.

hawaii 50
07-15-2012, 09:14 AM
i guess i did not strech my string enough(you really got to strech them!..) lowG took about 2 weeks to normalize..but i think it sounds better than the wound string..seems more balanced..blends in with the other strings better..so i like it..

elskeetro
08-07-2012, 05:18 AM
I had nothing but difficulty with these strings. I bought 2 of the unwound low G for my Kala exotic mahogany tenor.

I put the first one on and found that i had to stretch it almost to pitch before winding. Once i got it in pitch it stretched uncontrollably until it snapped from winding too tight. OK, maybe it was user error...that's why i bought 2...

I put the second string on and stretched it slightly less than the first string. It took an absurd amount of winding to get to pitch, then it stretched and stretched and stretched until 3 days later it finally broke.

My impression of these strings is poor. I had much better luck moving all the original strings down one position and using my old high G string so that C -->low G, E -->C, high G -->E, A remained the same.

Just my experience.
Skeet.

uke42
08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Sounds like the Aguila Reds are much more fragile and less forgiving then the regular nylgut strings. I've haven't had any breakage issues on either my Kanile'a tenor or super concert but I can see how if you stretched them to much that they could snap. The one I have on my tenor has been on for over a month and it's still not settled as it needs to be tuned every time I play it. I wonder if it's a temperature issue? I just put one on my super concert and learned that I have to pre-stretch it before tightening the tuner. I'm careful that I don't pull it to much. About to put one on one of my concerts so we'll see how that goes.

mimmo
08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Hello Guys,
I realize that most of you guys that broken the red series is probably becsuse you have not see how to install them.
These red series has nothing to do with the normal strings such as nylon, nylgut or fluocarbon. If you buy a new device surely you read the instruvctions . with these strings need the same . For example have you Maybe seen the youtube movie that explain how install them properly ? This is the first suggestion. Of ourse i am very happy to do my best replacing the strings but please May i ask you to read and see how to install these strings correctly? The portino twist ed on the PRG should be' of a few turno, not do much
Ciao
Mimmo

The Big Kahuna
08-07-2012, 09:04 AM
With all due respect, if I go out and buy a new style of socks, I don't go looking for instructions on how to put them on. Unless, of course, there is a HUGE warning on the pack warning me that the correct method is totally different to the way I've been doing it for 40 years, and to read the enclosed leaflet carefully. I assume there is a warning and a leaflet ?

mimmo
08-07-2012, 09:38 AM
you are right. I will arange a little explanations for the envelope. of course, we infomed all our distributors how to install them properly and also we done a not profesional movie with the instructions. Most of the distributors unforunately forgotten to inform the final customers and stores. However we received a very few complaints on thousands strings sold out. So for the statistic I am happy the problem is that when someone rightly complaint on the forum it seem that all the red series are bad. I am very happy to replace the broken string because this is the right vthing to do. Please can do a private notification to me?
Thanks
Mimmo

The Big Kahuna
08-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Please can do a private notification to me?
Thanks
Mimmo

I should perhaps point out that I haven't bought any strings. I'm just one of those annoying people who enjoy inserting themselves into conversations where they're not wanted :)

I do get the sense, however, from your willingness to replace strings without question, that you're one of the good guys. I hope Kanilea are reading this.

Sporin
08-07-2012, 10:10 AM
FYI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8zpZEL3TsM

Zenin
08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
The red I've put on my Kala resonator tenor has held up well for the couple weeks it's been on and I absolutely love the sound and feel. It is still settling in however. Even after two weeks it's still nearly a half step flat every time I pick it up in the morning. A small inconvenience, nothing serious.

At two weeks it has already out lasted the real life of the wound string I had on before it, which I had on for a month but really it had started to fray at the first fret after a couple weeks.

So far I *LOVE* these strings.

Mimmo, do you have any plans on using this copper loading technique on other strings? Can we maybe expect thinner Thundergut Reds anytime soon? Or an all red baritone set dropped an octave?

mimmo
08-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi Zenin,
I do this job with one of our extruder plant. The smaller. The copper powder is added in very high quantity in the melt ed nylgut. On nylgut i had a certain quantity of an elastomer . This in short but i can assure you that itbis nothing but easy here. The trials and mistakes were long two years almost. The elastomer is indispensabile. I would like to try a different way. However i am a bit worry because two expensive extruder screws were destroyed during these tests..
However it is hard to produce thinner strings than these becsuse the copper powder already exceed of 5 Times the msximum permitted in an extruder plant . Of course i discovered a special solution. However the price was high: two screws broken.
Best regsrds from a very warm italy

~dave~~wave~
08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
FYI.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating here.

Pre-stretch the string, then use a capo to clamp it at the second fret.

This allows you to use both hands to thread the string and take out most of the slack.

You should end up with the recommended three or four wraps on the peg when tuned up to pitch.

I can't take credit for this idea, it came from a guy on the TalkBass forums.
Those of us with Uke Basses deal with stretchy strings constantly.

Sporin
08-07-2012, 02:15 PM
After my new red had stretched quite a lot, I actually unwound it off the peg and restrung it again, therefore creating fewer wraps (with the now, already stretched string) if that makes sense. I now have room for at least another full wrap without overlap but the string itself is already nearly settled into pitch.

HNL2SEA
08-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Mille grazie per le corde rossa Mimmo, they play beautifully and I can finally put a good low G on my Soprano. Bravo Maestro!

mimmo
08-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks H N L 2 SEA,
Indeed i am working again to
improve the streght of the Red series. Complaints are just a few but i think that there is spiace for this job. I hope to be' luky
Ciao
Mimmo

gazmac
10-19-2012, 11:10 PM
I am a bit dissapointed, my aquila red tenor low G string broke today. It was not even being used when it broke. Just popped on it`s own.
Three weeks of moderate use and finished. I don`t think it is wear as I have had to retune it everyday or more for the last week. Retuning moves the wear point each time as the string stretches a lot.
I followed the guide on the Aquila site for stringing so I have not mishandled it.
I think these strings are fantastic to use but the formula has a way to go. The unstable and unpredictable nature of them, in my opinion, makes them unsuitable for professional use. Yes, you could replace them more often but it takes a very long time for them to settle and then they are about finished.
I hope they improve.

coolkayaker1
10-20-2012, 01:46 AM
I am a bit dissapointed, my aquila red tenor low G string broke today. It was not even being used when it broke. Just popped on it`s own.
Three weeks of moderate use and finished. I don`t think it is wear as I have had to retune it everyday or more for the last week. Retuning moves the wear point each time as the string stretches a lot.
I followed the guide on the Aquila site for stringing so I have not mishandled it.
I think these strings are fantastic to use but the formula has a way to go. The unstable and unpredictable nature of them, in my opinion, makes them unsuitable for professional use. Yes, you could replace them more often but it takes a very long time for them to settle and then they are about finished.
I hope they improve.

Your experience reflects the original red, or the improved one, circa Sept 2012?

Oh, and welcome to UU, btw.

gazmac
10-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Your experience reflects the original red, or the improved one, circa Sept 2012?

Oh, and welcome to UU, btw.

Hi, the strings I received have a label fixed to them marked 'BE 7/2012'.
I assume this is the manufacture date. I bought them(2) from a reseller online in Australia.

gazmac
10-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Can anyone tell me the manufacture date of the improved red version please? What is on the sticker attached to the packet?
Thanks

808boy
10-20-2012, 01:12 PM
My original Red is on my Mele Mahog. Tenor. So far, so good. It's been on for 2 months and settled in after about a month. Mimmo, however sent me 2 new formula strings. Will put one on my KPK Deluxe Tenor and maybe my Mele Double Puka Koa Tenor.
I have Koolau Alohi strings on my Mele Mahog. Tenor and the Aquila Red fits right in, well balanced to the other strings for picking and strumming.
Thanks Mimmo for sending me the 2 new strings...................................BO...... .......................

kissing
10-20-2012, 09:59 PM
What I would love to see is the Aquila DGBE strings for TENOR (with high D) updated with the red-G string, instead of the wound one :)

Haven't seen them in shops yet..

poomsar
10-27-2012, 08:50 PM
FYI.

Followed everything here but it still broke T.T
I feel like crying.

Millbrook
10-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Yesterday I put a new set of Aquila Nylgut strings, with a new-stock Red low G, on my Applause soprano. The Red low-G is settling in faster than the E string. It sounds great -- I didn't expect to get a satisfactory low G on such a small ukulele. Good job with the new Reds!

gazmac
10-28-2012, 10:15 AM
After my initial experience I am reluctant to buy more. I think they are really great while they last. Just don't last long enough. 3 to 4 weeks is a bit short.
Does anyone know how to get the latest formula in Australia as I believe it has been updated?

Sue22
12-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Mine also only lasted about 3 weeks with minimal use. I found it annoying to have to retune after each song. I guess it got stretched once too often tonight.:(

Did anyone find out how to identify the new formula strings?

TheCraftedCow
12-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Yep. I have them for sale. Good prices and only forty-five cents to send them to you. I am in Salem,Oregon. thecraftedcow@comcast.net

lookingforcurly
12-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Anyone have a tip on where to buy them?

Bounty has them
http://www.ukes.com/accessories/ukulele-strings.html?cat=46&limit=32

The Big Kahuna
12-23-2012, 03:58 AM
Did anyone find out how to identify the new formula strings?

Yeah...they're the ones that last 5 weeks.

Sue22
12-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Ha ha. OK, have gone with a wound string.

Khopp
10-17-2014, 07:07 AM
@mimmo with kindest request for comment.

I love to play the tenor uke using your "dgbe"-set of new nylgut, tuned up 1 step to traditional A-Tuning. It sounds great on my uke that way, especially with old Lyle Ritz-Style of music.
Recently I tried to replace the wound low G string with your new red series string, produced in 02/2014. I do appreciate your efforts to enhance the strings: they reliably reached and held the G-level as intended. But I´m sorry to say it wasn´t possible to tune it up 1 step to A. With three attempts the string split apart close to the G# (as my digital tuner announced). I carefully obeyed your video documentation on your website to use the string.

Now I´m asking myself, if it really should be a misuse of a string to sharpen it just one whole step? I´d like to remind of all the musicians using the "adf#b"-tuning with a low A like in James Hill-style of music.

As I like the sound of the Reds for the low note I´d like to suggest that you might examine the case of usage. Perhaps it has been a string-delivery that had not reached the actual quality level. Or is it really intended to just hold the G?

Perhaps you might be inclined to further strengthen the string to enable the "adf#b" or, as in my case, the low A-tuning with the "dgbe"-set?
Anyway I´ll further use your string-set, just a bit disappointed, as there is no real alternative for an adequate low G (A) that fits your string quality.

I would appreciate your comment.
Klaus (Hamburg).

Nickie
10-17-2014, 01:00 PM
After playing them for a while, I've decided I'm gonna replace the C and the G with wound strings. The reds are too thuddy sounding for my tastes. I never liked wound strings, but now I have callouses.

Minor Adjustment
10-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Regarding the Aquilla Red strings for Tenor in low G. The code is : 72U and there is a batch number on there = BE 10/2012. I had a lot of breakage (different batch number), and was sent replacements. Not by the seller (which did not go down well with me) but by Mimmo. I buy 3 sets usually, as these strings are not imported by local music shops. I also have a Baritone tuned in low G (red Aquilla 73U) and it gets played regularly and is still strong and has not disintegrated.
I have no answer for Klaus' experimentation but will read with interest.

Khopp
10-20-2014, 08:36 AM
New Developments - resp.: Super Nylgut
---------------------------------------
I just discoverd another issue that I have to deal with. It´s concerning the high A string of a regular set of Super Nylguts.
I just applied it to my Kala Acacia tenor. GREAT sound - exactly the way I wished my tenor could sound like: warm, defined and still brilliant as typically for Aquila. Perfect for Jazz (as long as I won´t use the low tuning as described above). Eliminates the weakness, perhaps of my instument, to tend to be to brittle with nylguts.

As Super Nylgut is also a new development I´d like to adress it in this context:
The A-String does not intonate correctly. At the 12th bar the harmonics are remarkably below the note when fretted. Impossible to tune it correctly over the whole fretboard. The deviation is not to ignore beyond the 7th fret (when correct at the first frets, much too high in the higher registers and vice versa).

I changed just that single new string back to the New Nylgut A and... everthing perfect again! The octaves are perfectly in tune to the pitch. Now I can enjoy the richness of the other three strings - but I wish, I could all have it in just one single set of strings (where to get a single New Nylgut A from in everday´s case????)

------------------

Edit 2014/10/25:

Someone passed me a hint that originally came from an old string manufacturer, that solved the problem:
in certain odd cases bad intonation like above might happen. One can try to apply the strings the other way around: the head-mounted end down to the bridge and the bridge end to the top. I followed this and it really helped. Everything´s o.k.
Somewhat of a miracle to me. Sorry, if it did confuse anyone.

Brian1
01-30-2015, 04:03 PM
I am possibly waking the dead, resurrecting this old thread. But I just purchased a set of Aquila Reds (or at least I thought I did) but it only came with the single low G string in the package. My intent was to put red and white strings on a ukulele that has an American flag on it (mostly blue top) I planned on using the regular Aquila white string on the G and E, and a Red C and A string. I have never tried Aquila reds before do they always come packaged with a single G string to add to other strings ?

If so, any ideas where I can get a set of red soprano gCEA strings to intermix with my white Aquila strings ?

pritch
01-30-2015, 04:12 PM
The low G sets I have came with the single red string in a dark grey packet. The red sets, in which all four strings are red, are packed in a red packet. Easy to spot at HMS or Elderly, or wherever else you buy your strings.

Brian1
01-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks. Mine did come sealed in a red package. With the sticker in place.

pritch
01-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Ooops?

Email shop@aquilacorde.com and explain the situation. Or go to the Aquila Corde Armoniche website an fill in their contact form? They are good to deal with.

Brian1
01-31-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks will try again :)