What brands/models "sing?"

Iolaus

Reaction score
New discussion started at post #19

I'm looking to start shopping seriously for an entry-level uke to learn on, but I don't anticipate having the access to extra cash that I currently have for long, so I want to make my purchase count for the long term. I can safely commit around $300, and I might have some wiggle room.

I'm a big guy with large hands - XL gloves tend to be tight - so I'm assuming a tenor would be appropriate.

I want to learn finger-picking, and I'd like to eventually be able to play with my friends who rock electric guitars, so I'd like a uke that rings more like a modern guitar than one that has the traditional uke sound.

Having a pick-up would be nice, but not essential; I can always add that later, right?

Am I chasing a figment, or is this a realistic approach?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Am I chasing a figment, or is this a realistic approach?

Well, kind of sounds like you want a guitar....If you want something big, and something that doesn't sound like a ukulele.......you could step up to a Baritone or just get a guitar. I don't mean to sound snarky in any way, just wondering if a guitar would fit your hopes better?

You're never going to get something that, acoustically at least, sounds like a steel strung guitar. Not even a classical guitar sounds like a "guitar" as you appear to be describing it.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but maybe an Eleuke, small practice combo (say, 20 or 30 watt) and a multi effect pedal (I had something called a Zoom 9002 many years ago, that would do the job) would fit the bill.

If you want to play some real rock though, you're going to need something with steel strings.

I'd like a uke that rings more like a modern guitar than one that has the traditional uke sound

Just re-read this bit. The sound that comes out of ANY instrument is almost wholly dependent on the way you attack the strings. For every note that exists on every instrument, there are 1001 different ways to play that note. You can change the sound with your right hand, left hand, palm or any combination thereof. The angle at which you hit the string makes a difference. How hard makes a difference. If I ever tried to describe all the ways you can change the way a note sounds I'd be here for a week. At the end of the day it's down to technique, but you need to be familiar with at least one stringed instrument to be able to apply that technique. I'd say, just go out and buy whatever fits your hand and budget, then spank the plank until something recognisable comes out the front of it.

I am semi-familiar with guitars - a bit rusty now, but I have several, and have at different stages, pursued strumming and classical picking techniques. My nylon-strung classical guitar has beautiful tone, and is a joy to play; and the steel-strung dreadnaught rings out, but I don't play it enough to keep up the callouses. ...and neither are very portable; you're "taking it somewhere," not "I happen to have an instrument here."

so I'd like a uke that rings more like a modern guitar than one that has the traditional uke sound.
Just re-read this bit. The sound that comes out of ANY instrument is almost wholly dependent on the way you attack the strings....

The reason I mentioned that was that, in my reading up on the instrument, I read that there is a slice of the playing population that prefer such characteristics, and if there is a difference, then that is the side to which I would prefer to lean.

I don't want it to sound like a steel-strung guitar, but I would like it to have a more sustained tone than the "plunky" tone I tend to hear most often. So you're saying that, given any decent instrument, that would be a product of my technique more than a characteristic of the instrument?

Would anyone second the Risa Uke-Tenor Electric? Or a Baritone strung with a high-D?

Not sustain I'm afraid. You could increase sustain to a degree by raising the action, fretting HARD and hitting the strings very hard, at a perfect 90 degree angle to the neck and with a fingernail or pick, but you're really not going to get anything approaching what a guitarist would class as "sustain". Also, the characteristics of nylon strings to give themselves to sustain either. There are a lot of variables you're fighting.

but I don't play it enough to keep up the callouses

One thing I've noticed since switching to the Uke' from guitar, I have to use a hell of a lot more pressure to fret accurately, and my fingertips, thumb joint and tendons begin to hurt quite quickly.

My Kanile'a doesnt sustain like a full sized guitar, but it doesn't half sing!

Strings play a big part in sustain and sound also. I'm an old guitar player and a relatively new uke player. I understand your wanting the best of both worlds. For myself, large hands also, I went with a tenor and put on Southcoast strings. IMO,the SC strings have a wound 3rd and 4th string making for a longer sustain and more umm guitarish sounding than any other string I've tried other than Guadalupes'.

Ryan has a good idea; a baritone. The tuning is the same as the 4 bottom strings of a guitar so if you decide to eventually go with a guitar; you'll already have the chord patterns down. Whichever way you choose to go, the important thing is to have it setup right for better success.

I fingerpick with a light touch, I have adjusted the action on all my guitars and ukes so that it takes a minimal amount to play. Heavy handed playing of course will dictate a different setup.

I Think I get where you're coming from. IMHO and like others have suggested you should
buy a Baritone. I play Baritone almost exclusively nowadays and I love the 'Guitary' sound
it makes.
For your 300 bucks you should be able to source something reasonable.
Enjoy
Cheers
Gary

I've been reading a bit about Ovation/Applause Tenors - that they are quiet in the acoustic mode, but really nice in the electric; and that they sound more like a small guitar than a ukulele. I know people either hate 'em or love 'em, they're heavier than the average, and there's issues with switching batteries; but it still kind of sounds like what I'm looking for. There's one on the local craigslist for $225 or $275 (discrepancy in the listing), but it doesn't mention electronics at all. I sent a message asking a few questions; I'm waiting for an answer now.

Ok, so I heard back from the guy; he wants $225, and it's still available. It is electric (which I assumed because I couldn't find any non-electric models, but I wanted to be sure). He didn't actually mention a model number, but there's only one - the different variations of the UAE148, right? This one has the "Natural" face.

As a novice with no tunes to play, if I do go look at it, what should I do to evaluate it? I can bring my tuner and check the intonation at the open and 12th frets, and I suppose I can randomly pluck strings at different frets up the neck to check for buzzing. Anything else?

Don't be over anxious. Let the seller do the tuning. You don't want to be unlucky and break a string. Then ask the seller to play something so you can evaluate the sound from the other side of the room. IF you like the sound and tone then look it over. Is the neck straight, no dipping at the bridge, no sharp edges on the fret ends. Tap to check for loose braces or struts. Try $200 if you like what you see. There are lots out there for your budget. Good luck.

Last edited:
I ended up buying the Ovation, and it ended up sitting in the corner - I wasn't happy with the reentrant tuning, and the acoustic sound didn't thrill me enough to keep trying. However, the wanting didn't go away; I still wanted to have a portable music-maker. I should have listened to you folks that recommended the baritone uke.

My birthday last week brought the usual "buy something for yourself" checks from some relatives higher up the age chain, and I combined them to get a Cordoba baritone off Amazon. It showed up yesterday, and I spent several hours playing around with it. I like the sound, and I like the way previous guitar knowledge crosses over.

...and the tips of my fingers are sore.

maybe you should visit a quality music store try a tenor a baritone or parlour size guitar, you don't have to buy but I think you will know when something feels
right for your hands etc.
good luck.

After playing the Cordoba for a few days, I realized that the buzzing wasn't my sloppy fingering, but rather, it was the fact that there was a slight arc to the neck - and a visible bend at the 5th fret on the higher end. It wasn't bad enough to notice when I played tentatively; but when I strummed with a little more confidence, the high E string had a harsh sound. I took it over the Island Bazaar and had them look at it, and the guy noted exactly the same things I had. Fortunately, Amazon has a great return policy for defective merchandise, so I sent it back.

I had a lot of fun playing with it though (enough that I ordered a set of Aquila dGBE for the tenor), and I want to get another Baritone - My fingers fit the board better, and I really like the deeper tone over the tenor. However, I don't want to have to play the shipping back and forth game to get an acceptable instrument.

Now that I've had a chance to play around with one for a week or two, I'm even willing to throw a little more into the kitty for this acoustic; like before, the $2-300 range. Island Bazaar would be the most convenient specialty shop - it's only about 5 miles away - but their online inventory only shows about 4 candidates:

• Kala KA-BE Baritone Ukulele w/ EQ $189.99
  • Kala KA-SMHB Baritone Ukulele $269.99
  • Lanikai LUTU-21B TunaUke Equipped Baritone Ukulele $179.00
  • Ohana BK-20 Baritone Ukulele $297.00
What is the advantage of solid wood sides and back over a laminate? Are there any trade-offs?

Just on specs, I lean toward the Kala KA-SMHB over the other Kala because it specifies "Solid Mahogany top, back and sides," while the other just says "Mahogany body," which I assume to mean laminate - and I don't really care about the electronics. The Ohana only specifies a solid mahogany top, so I assume it has laminate sides and back. I am assuming the Lanikai is laminate all 'round.

Last edited:
I bet you can't go wrong with a Kala bari...the necks on Kalas are nice and round in the back, so they fit a person with large hands pretty well. And you can try tuning it to (lo)G,C,E,A, and see how you like it!

Top Bottom