WTB: Solid wood concert uke (Mainland, Pono, Islander, Kala, ??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocko

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a scale length for my custom build this fall and am looking to acquire a (sub-$300 range) concert size uke.

I'm currently playing an Islander MST-4. I love the tone, but the scale is a bit long (and still questioning the nut width) for my "sausage fingers".

My first uke was a Kala KA-CG, which I liked, but have a difficult time enjoying now that I've sample a solid wood instrument.

Yours in strum,
Rocko

Highly recommend a Koa Pili Koko. Order it from the website (www.pilikoko.com) with coupon code SUMMER10 and you can get a solid acacia concert shipped for $175 (or go for the $10 bone nut/saddle upgrade). Just got mine and I'm very happy with it. If I were a better player, I'd put up a sound sample, as the ones I found on YouTube weren't terribly representative due mostly to inferior mics.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard good things about KPK, but somehow every time I look at them, they leave me a bit cold. The price is attractive, however :D

Hi. Just curious, because I haven't seen one. what turns you off about the KPK? been thinking of one of the tenors. Thanks, Bill D. PM sent, also.......

Have a KPK concert. Great buy. Great quality. Jason is top notch.
I have found that my Kamoa E3 Pineapple Soprano has a wider nut and fretboard than most sopranos I have played if you needed a bit more finger room. Another nice solid wood uke for the money.

Hi. Just curious, because I haven't seen one. what turns you off about the KPK? been thinking of one of the tenors. Thanks, Bill D. PM sent, also.......

Can't put my finger on it exactly... The bridge, headstock (with gold tuners) and bridge just don't appeal to me.

I have a mainland cedar/rosewood concert. Have a nice case too. Good deal if interested.

picker

:D
I'm trying to decide on a scale length for my custom build this fall and am looking to acquire a (sub-$300 range) concert size uke.

I'm currently playing an Islander MST-4. I love the tone, but the scale is a bit long (and still questioning the nut width) for my "sausage fingers".

My first uke was a Kala KA-CG, which I liked, but have a difficult time enjoying now that I've sample a solid wood instrument.

Yours in strum,
Rocko

i have Tenor KPK had it about year relly good instrument particularily for the price.

Woould you consider an Oscar Schmidt koa OU-5E (for electric as well as acoustic) with bone nut and saddle; a padded black bag, and a new in the box chromatic tuner shipped to you for $180? I have to go read how to get pictures onto this website. It plays as well as it looks. I am fortunate to have a far more expensive concert with on-board electronics. I really do not need two E models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom