What's a chord that sounds like the G string?

aleksxoxo

Reaction score
I know my question is worded very weirdly but I hope you know what I mean.

Like, the G chord is a step too high. I guess I'm asking for a G chord that's lower? I don't know what I'm talking about xD

Try a F#....

Hmm. Good puzzle...

If the next chord is a step lower, that'd be G, F, E flat.

If we just need a note from that F chord to get a step lower, many more options come to mind.
Try G, F, C
or G, F, F7 (2310)
or G, F, F/G (0010)
or G, F, Fsus4 (3011)
or G, F, Am7 (0000).

It's not an F chord, I'm trying to write up a song and the part I'm doing is G, F, ___ (and something a step lower)
Since you're starting out with a G and an F already, my first guess would be that you're in the key of C and it's a C chord you're probably looking for. Or less likely it's Am.

If what you're looking for is really a G chord with some coloring, try some of the bazillion variations of the G chord.

Dm..............................

I was going to say a chord that is muted to the point of giving off more of a "thong" sound. :eek:

If you want a chord to sound like the G string try a partial roll. X300. Mute the 1st string. I guess it's not really a chord since it's just G,C,G, but it may work in your arrangement.

E minor might work for ya.

I was going to say a chord that is muted to the point of giving off more of a "thong" sound. :eek:
Ok, that took me a second...now I can't stop laughing. :biglaugh: Mahahaha!

hahha omg, you guys are too funny :p

I took didgeridoo2's advice. I muted the A string and it gives the sound I want! (although like he pointed out, it's not really a chord :p)

Aloha Aleks,
Would help if you give us some lyrics....there are many chord progressions that may work in the key of G..
The Vamp chords are ....G, A7, D7 maybe back to G ... and the principle chords... 1, 4, 5.7th are G, C, D7

aloha mmstan.
melikes those vamp chords.

the F G

transition sure sounds sweet.

Last edited:
You don't need to mute the A string - just play 0033, which creates the same chord: a C5, which is just C's and G's.

Top Bottom