My child needs a music instructor.

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I was hoping my child could pickup the uke quickly. THey say children are sponges.

But.... he is not progressing like I had hoped.

I guess i can have him go through ALdrines videos or something - thats an idea.

I was hoping he could pick up on Elephant Town; but, even that is past him.

See for yourself. Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU38A7QWZUs

I think you need to get one of those uber strict Soviet-era instructers ... the one's that will use a very hard, long, wooden rod to beat the child at every mistake, and who won't allow breaks for water or intestinal relief until fingers are bloody and chord changes are PERFECT.

It's the only way to be sure.

I think this is clear evidence that the uke is not for him. He looks more like a drummer or keyboard player to me, or maybe harmonica. What does he want to destroy first when taken to a music store?

–Lori

Kid is a slacker. See if you can get a refund, or at least a credit towards a new one.

theLoot Gardiner,

(Note: I haven't seen the video and know nothing about you, your kid, or your parenting style - just take this as general advice).

Music is important and you should encourage your kid, but trying to push your image onto them will not work.

See what the kid likes to do, encourage them to do what they enjoy, and try to introduce new things, such as ukulele or music in general, more organically.

I still don't like to be forced to do things... and I'm in my 30s!

I don't know, he seems to have finger-picking down pretty well.

Aww, I think he did quite well! And so cute, too:)

The little guy actually likes to play with the uke everyday. He sees me play uke and he likes to either come over to me and make his note changes on my uke or he'll grab that Fluke and start banging on it.

THe other good thing is he will sing along with me. He doesn't know words or how to change notes; but, he makes noise.

He's alot of fun to watch. This crying in the video was fun. The actual raw length of the video was 5 minutes which is fairly long time for a kids focus time.

Everyone is almost on the mark, it's very clear, he needs a SOPRANINO uke...he's obvioulsly having problems with the fingerings because the fretboard is just too big!

The problem is obvious. He needs a more expensive ukulele then he will play better.

Using your leg for barr chords! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Thanks for the tip Dominick.

Aloha Frankie,
that is so cute and cool man...wow he is 9 and a half months already...looks like he is going to be a cool thai uker.
Here is another young thai uker...my friends kid at 6 months...ha ha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbwuM5Qo0R0&feature=channel&list=UL

Wow. I'm gonna show that clip to my son. That kid doesn't cry when he plays the uke. haha. And a gift from Papa Koalaha??? All that kid could make at that time was dirty diapers and he gets a Koaloha???!!! THat FLuke I gave my boy is at least indestructable which is real necessary at this time with my son who seems to be able to break things at will.

The problem is obvious. He needs a more expensive ukulele then he will play better.

I'll put a lock on my stash sitting in its own special room. Daddy plays the Collings and the boy migrates to that uke whenever I'm not looking.

Such angst! Maybe he'll bring back grunge, but for uke. At least he won't be able to smash the Fluke so easily.

Dominick did some of the best Michael Jackson vocals I've ever heard. His vocals will improve with age. Soon he'll be singing some tasty Elvis Costello licks. I see you're using the progressive learning system. Dom's already advanced to three strings. His stage name will soon be Dominator and he'll be playing like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kU8sczxu-Q

Last edited:
Top Bottom