How do you know when its time to change your strings?

Ukuvic12

Reaction score
How do you know when its time to change your strings? And if you break one string should you change just the one that broke or all of the strings?

Ukuvic12

I change mine when they start feeling rough. the nylon / fluorocarbon strings do seem to last much longer than metal. I have never had a string break other than some defective strings which I sent back, but if I had a new set, I'd replace the whole set, uke strings are relatively inexpensive.

This is one of the great questions of humanity, along the lines of "Who am I?" "What is the meaning of it all?" and "Where's Waldo?"

The answer is just as zen as your question - a beautiful and apparently internally incongrous "You change the strings when they need changing."

Yeah, that isn't very satisfying, but then again, there is no absolute answer. Change them when you start to notice a dull tone. Or, change them when you think they just need it. Or, change them when you just want the pleasure of changing them.

And if one string breaks, aside from asking if anyone hears it, you should consider changing the lot with the same level of open-mindedness as when to change the set. Change all of them if they all need changing.

Seriously.

This is one of the great questions of humanity, along the lines of "Who am I?" "What is the meaning of it all?" and "Where's Waldo?"

The answer is just as zen as your question - a beautiful and apparently internally incongrous "You change the strings when they need changing."

Yeah, that isn't very satisfying, but then again, there is no absolute answer. Change them when you start to notice a dull tone. Or, change them when you think they just need it. Or, change them when you just want the pleasure of changing them.

And if one string breaks, aside from asking if anyone hears it, you should consider changing the lot with the same level of open-mindedness as when to change the set. Change all of them if they all need changing.

Seriously.

That about covers it.

But for folks like myself who insist on a more concrete answer, my uke instructor told me that if, like myself, you play one uke and one uke only, and play it daily, then every 3-4 months is a good guideline.

Folks who play multiple ukes or who don't play daily - YMMV.

Top Bottom