Electric Ukuleles...any advice?

Ukuvic12

Reaction score
I've been tempted to buy an electric ukulele (my son has a couple of nice guitar amps...just waiting for a ukulele):). I am a left-handed player. Most of the electric ukes I've seen on the web are for right-handed players. Does anyone know of a good left handed electric uke? For those of you who have electric ukes...are you generally pleased with their sound and performance?

Love my Risa! The quality is awesome, and depending on how you string it and set it up, super easy to play with excellent sound from the two humbuckers. With a modeling amp I would guess there would be a wide variety of sounds possible.. but I don't know what to suggest re left handed.

If you're looking to play overdriven blues and rock covers you'll probably want a steel string. It can be very difficult to get a pleasant overdriven tone and "endless" sustain with nylon strings and piezo pickups - not impossible, but you're fighting the physics of the system instead of having them work for you.

With steel strings and magnetic pickups there is a natural roll off of the higher harmonics while most piezo pickups have a basically flat response all the way to frequencies well above what the human ear can hear.

If your goal is to have a natural "acoustic sound" - just louder - then you are better off with nylon strings and piezo pickups.

John

MIm has soe left handed eleukes at least she used to.. give her a buzz. I love my eleuke so much. I have hooked my boys guitar teacher on uke bringing my eleuke in for him to play around with!

I can't add any advice to that which has already been given because i only posses a cheap solid bodied electric ukulele and have never played one of the more expensive brands. Electric ukulele's are huge fun though and whatever you choose I am sure you will enjoy it. It is great being able to practice silently with headphones and experimenting with 'tweaking' the sound is huge fun.
My electric ukulele is now my favorite.

Last edited:
I have a Peanut Eleuke and I love it! I'm sure there are better quality electric ukes out there but this one is still really neat: straightforward, silent, compact, has audio input as well, etc. Tones of fun! I use it for silent practice, jamming with recordings, adding audio effects and filters, "lapsteel" (glass slide + delay pedal)... Works best with South Coast Medium Soft strings, other strings I've tried on make it sound a bit toyish.

Mim sells them (professional set-up included!)

OP, take note that there are other Electric Ukes beside solid bodies.

I've a Luna Tattoo Cutaway Concert that plays well, sounds great electrified, sounds good acoustic and won't break the bank.

Top Bottom