Banjo Ukulele

wow thats awsome, the neck is gorgeous. What kind of hide did you use?

It is winter? What happens in winter?

Well fluctuations in the temperature will affect the tension of the skin. that's why they normally have tensioners.
Just plain old humidity will affect the tension, in dry conditions it will contract and in wet conditions it will expand, but you appear to have no way of dealing with this. Just a thought.:)

We're upside down here and winter doesn't get much better than this in Cairns. 25 C and 50% RH. It's why we live here.

I can see the benifits, that still does not alter the phyisics of a calf skin and how it reacts to cahnges in temperature/humidity. The builders of the 1920's new this.

The sound is pretty mellow (for a banjo). Probably a combination of the nylon strings, hide head and low(er) tension of the tack head. It doesn't have that Earl Scruggs bluegrass super-banjo sound and nor do I want it to.

Being a prototype, I've already got more underway that will have some of the identified problems redesigned. And the tackhead won't go, we'll call that a feature rather than a flaw:D

You don't tension those heads, you change the bridge :)

Slim4lin gets 100 million bonus points.

As the humidity rises causing the head to stretch you pop in a higher bridge. This corrects the action. The builders of the 1860's knew this ;)

Slim4lin gets 100 million bonus points.

As the humidity rises causing the head to stretch you pop in a higher bridge. This corrects the action. The builders of the 1860's knew this ;)

I'll give you 100 million bonus points for that ukulele... I'll even pay half of the shipping :cool:

Top Bottom