PDA

View Full Version : 17th season of the ukulele...

Pages : [1] 2

thesillydave
06-08-2012, 01:29 PM
ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL
Hey there Seasonistas! well, i figured it was time to tweak the challenge!

PARAMETERS:
* your song must be about and/ or mention an animal in it somewhere
* ukulele front and center
* state in your clip that the recording is for the "17th season of ukulele"
* multiple versions of the same song are OK * one take, no overdubs....and now, the twist....
on your honor, it has to be your first take!
practice all you want, but when you start to record, that's it!
if you mess up, carry on! pretend like it is a live performance! HAVE FUN WITH IT!

JUDGING CRITERIA:
points awarded in the following criteria:

* Playing /10
* Singing /10
* Overall performance: your ability to sell the song (camera presence; personality; creative flair; x-factor etc...) /10
* Set and Costume /10 * Recovery and/ or the ability to make it through in your first and only take /10
for a total score out of a possible 50 points from each judge. We will collate our scores for final results.
JUDGES:
myself, my wife, and guest judges, the members of Mountain Sprout, a band that is based out of my town, i'll post links later.
DEADLINE: 11:59 PM HAWAII TIME, SUNDAY JUNE 16TH.

PRIZES:
1ST PLACE: A 1950'S HARMONY SOPRANO UKULELE + A T-SHIRT FROM MOUNTAIN SPROUT
2ND PLACE: A HIGHLY COLLECTABLE T-SHIRT FROM MY RESTAURANT, SPARKY'S ROADHOUSE CAFE + A STICKERS FROM MOUNTAIN SPROUT
3RD PLACE: STICKERS FROM MOUNTAIN SPROUT AND SPARKY'S
THEIR MIGHT BE MORE PRIZES LATER! STAY TUNED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEmjPj0ZI0E&list=UUdWw-RM9GQQwSy1w8qFqJug&index=1&feature=plcp

Hippie Dribble
06-08-2012, 02:12 PM
almost here! with a little twist! for some it won't matter....
for some...it'll be painful!
bwahahaha!!!
stay tuned!
oooh that's a naughty laugh Dave :uhoh:

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
oooh that's a naughty laugh Dave :uhoh:

Indeed. Has thesillydave become thenaughtydave?

ukuleledaddy
06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
almost here! with a little twist! for some it won't matter....
for some...it'll be painful!
bwahahaha!!!
stay tuned!

Aw crap, something tells me I'll be one of those feeling the pain.

ukuleledaveey
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Aw crap, something tells me I'll be one of those feeling the pain.
:( he he he me to !!!!!

ukuleledaddy
06-08-2012, 04:02 PM
with a little twist!

Come on baby, let's do the twist!

ukuleledaveey
06-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Come on baby, let's do the twist!

!!!!!:confused: maybe we have to perform our song whilst playing twister !!!!!!!!!!

thesillydave
06-08-2012, 06:26 PM
no twisting... ie. the dance, unless you must...i hear it's a great cardio workout..and good for lower back pains... no twister, well maybe, that's an idea.....no twizzler's, no naughtiness...well, maybe a little..he he!
hopefully you'll find this 'twist' challenging...maybe annoying...i'm just glad i won't have to participate! i'd fail!
and we have guest judge's as well! a progressive folk /psycho-billy/ band that is touring the country but based from my little town of eureka springs, mountain sprout!
i'll post links to their site and some of their songs.
more tomorrow!!! let's have fun! let's uke!
just uping the ante...making us all better players...pushing us forward....like this whole seasons have done!
i hope you all will embrace it and rise as you have all done so far!
and there will be prizes!

Hippie Dribble
06-08-2012, 07:03 PM
aaaargh, just what have you got in store for us brother...the suspense is killing me...off to make some popcorn :p

'a litle twist'...what, like a knife into an open wound? :)

TCK
06-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Psychobilly? I am all ears (and smiles)...god, I still gotta get my entry for 16 in- where did this week go?

myrnaukelele
06-09-2012, 07:15 AM
I have Mountain Sprouts CD:) Love their music!

thesillydave
06-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Info at the beginning of thread! Have fun!

peewee
06-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Giddy-up! Good one. The twist is brutal though for us 20 takers...prepare to witness chaos!
thanks

Hippie Dribble
06-09-2012, 04:48 PM
my camera won't have enough memory to cope with this

ukuloonie
06-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the competition Silly Dave
MMmmmMMmm animals, One and only one Take MMmmMMmm
Fluff up and keep playing.
Sounds like my Kinda contest

Canoe Lady
06-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Oh, I am soooooo doomed. But I think I will try to find time to give it a try.

bigjmn
06-09-2012, 08:13 PM
where do I post my vid?

thesillydave
06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
sorry, i thought i mentioned that, post to this thread! have fun!

The Ukelites
06-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Cool topic, we've already got some songs in mind....
The idea of the first take sure will be fun. :music:
Thanks for hosting, Dave and the Mountain Sprout!

Penguinofsorts
06-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Oh boy... Ohhhhh boy...

Penguinofsorts
06-10-2012, 01:47 AM
I just found a perfect song ...about an animal, although it doesn't mention the type of animal...I'm going to learn it, I'm going to practice it, and then I'm going to show you just one take!

eor
06-10-2012, 04:26 AM
hey

fiendishly clever topic this week...

are multiple entries allowed?

thx

eor

strumsilly
06-10-2012, 05:22 AM
I've been wanting to play "Mr. Bojangles". it sounds really good[to me anyway] on my bari. is that too much of a stretch? one verse does reference the demise of his DOG, and his unending grief over its death. And , thanks , sillydave, great topic and awesome prizes.

thesillydave
06-10-2012, 05:23 AM
hey

fiendishly clever topic this week...

are multiple entries allowed?

thx

eor

yes, you may enter as many times as you like, but your final entry will be the one judged, as in other season's.

thesillydave
06-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I've been wanting to play "Mr. Bojangles". it sounds really good[to me anyway] on my bari. is that too much of a stretch? one verse does reference the demise of his DOG, and his unending grief over its death.

works for me! as long as an animal is mentioned in the song, it's good! have fun!

UncleElvis
06-10-2012, 05:50 AM
You try to get out, but they pull you back in!
Not really, i've just been crazy busy.
This one? I'm in! Love the idea, love the twist, love everything!
I'm gonna record it on Wednesday, at my gig.

strumsilly
06-10-2012, 05:58 AM
You try to get out, but they pull you back in!
Not really, i've just been crazy busy.
This one? I'm in! Love the idea, love the twist, love everything!
I'm gonna record it on Wednesday, at my gig.
is it fair to have professionals judged along side us amateurs? just kidding.

myrnaukelele
06-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I just found a perfect song ...about an animal, although it doesn't mention the type of animal...I'm going to learn it, I'm going to practice it, and then I'm going to show you just one take!

Oh this is right up your alley Michelle! Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road!!

Penguinofsorts
06-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Hahaha.... While "Dead Skunk" is a wonderful tune, I'm going for a yet unlearned one.... And just a tad bit more sentimental ;-)

uke4ia
06-10-2012, 08:29 AM
This might be a tough week. YouTube has changed something in its software, and now when I press the Upload button it just goes into an infinite loop.

OldePhart
06-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Very cool Dave! Hey...do I get bonus points for almost stopping in to visit you on the way back from UWC?

I stopped at my friend's in Springield MO for a couple days, looked up Eureka Springs on the map and it was a little out of the way for the rest of the trip back but a pretty drive - then I discovered to my great sadness that I'd deleted the PM that mentioned the name of your restaraunt. Well, maybe next year!

John

Hippie Dribble
06-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Very cool Dave! Hey...do I get bonus points for almost stopping in to visit you on the way back from UWC?

I stopped at my friend's in Springield MO for a couple days, looked up Eureka Springs on the map and it was a little out of the way for the rest of the trip back but a pretty drive - then I discovered to my great sadness that I'd deleted the PM that mentioned the name of your restaraunt. Well, maybe next year!

John
best fare in Eureka Springs, looks like a very cool joint...you have live music too Dave?
http://www.sparkysroadhouse.com/

J-Peg
06-10-2012, 09:55 AM
This might be a tough week. YouTube has changed something in its software, and now when I press the Upload button it just goes into an infinite loop.

I just recently started having problems, too (although not as severe as yours.) I found I have better luck uploading lower quality formats (like MPG) instead of HQ AVI.

uke4ia
06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
I just recently started having problems, too (although not as severe as yours.) I found I have better luck uploading lower quality formats (like MPG) instead of HQ AVI.

The format is irrelevant. Just hitting the upload button puts the software into an infinite loop. I never even get to the page where I would link YouTube to the video file.

J-Peg
06-10-2012, 10:53 AM
The format is irrelevant. Just hitting the upload button puts the software into an infinite loop. I never even get to the page where I would link YouTube to the video file.

What browser are you using? Chrome hasn't given me that particular problem (yet), and it's made by Google (who also owns YT), so if you're not using Chrome you could try that.

Just a guess, though.

uke4ia
06-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I uploaded my Crowded House tiple video Wednesday, and it wasn't a problem then. Suddenly it's a problem today.

I think I've found a back door, though. The Canon ZoomBrowser program I use for making the videos has a button to upload to YouTube via the software. I clicked on that and it seems to be working.

uke4ia
06-10-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtcIqhKkgmY

All right, got it uploaded.

Be careful what you wish for, Dave. With only one take, I had to record when I thought I had the best chance of getting through without an interruption. Which meant not taking an hour to do my vocal warmups. Which meant my voice is...umm...unseemly. These are notes I usually hit, but I just might have done some yelling at the TV set during last night's Celtics game. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is a song called "Paper Kitten Nightmare" by a band called Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Be careful what you wish for, Dave. With only one take, I had to record when I thought I had the best chance of getting through without an interruption. Which meant not taking an hour to do my vocal warmups. Which meant my voice is...umm...unseemly. These are notes I usually hit, but I just might have done some yelling at the TV set during last night's Celtics game. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is a song called "Paper Kitten Nightmare" by a band called Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.

Meow. Merrreow. Mrrreow. Prrrrrrr.

[translation: Nice one. Way to get this challenge started right. Great, spirited performance. Gracias.]

ukuloonie
06-10-2012, 01:33 PM

bold choice and playing;)

chrimess
06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
cannot beat Newcastle on tab...

best fare in Eureka Springs, looks like a very cool joint...you have live music too Dave?

thesillydave
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM

wow! that was great! a song i've never heard and a tricky one as well! thanks for starting us off!

UncleElvis
06-10-2012, 02:40 PM
is it fair to have professionals judged along side us amateurs? just kidding.

As I keep telling people, I'm an UNprofessional!

chrimess
06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
where the heck have you been?

TCK
06-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Teach Me Tiger by April Stevens plays when I open the website...that is freaking stupendous!!!
Ladies- you gotta do this one for this week...it will just be creepy if I do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWpA5iY2V1I

Hippie Dribble
06-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Teach Me Tiger by April Stevens plays when I open the website...that is freaking stupendous!!!
Ladies- you gotta do this one for this week...it will just be creepy if I do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWpA5iY2V1I
yeah how cool is that Dave. What a song. What a woman. Dave clearly has a nice vibe going at Sparky's...creepy? na mate...just change the lyric from tiger to kitten and nobody will be concerned about you :p

thesillydave
06-10-2012, 06:53 PM
oops! you found one of my favorite songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORkZC5m0Dcs

Hippie Dribble
06-10-2012, 07:04 PM

SENSATIONAL brother...gee, don't see that Pono come out to play much. Sounds sweet as.
:cheers:

TCK
06-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh...My...God...OK- that is the freaking raddest thing that has ever happened on the Underground. I totally and completely hand over the rights to ThesillyDave...I am just the kinda funny sometimes on a good day Dave.
Truly, that made my life more complete Dave- thank you so much for doing it so I do not have to.
What a great old tune.
Theotherdave

wee_ginga_yin
06-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Check:
1) Football jersey of the despised "dirty leeds"
2) Bare knee
3) Bonus track "Sonic the hegdehog" with EXTRA ATTITUDE
4) Love song involving sheep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEl9maO4uvA

eor
06-11-2012, 05:01 AM
hey
so Im checking out the seasons like I always do and discover that sillydaves cafe has like almost 2 dozen kinds of beer.. " silly" dave.... silly like a fox I say.

I immediatly decide I need one of SPARKY'S ROADHOUSE CAFE's tee shirts since its my new favorite eatery and hangout joint when I am in the neighborhood.

so i decide ill do the Tajmahal classic on the banjo uke and play harp too.

I checked out them mountain sprout fellas and not only would i bet there is a banjo player or two in the family tree but i bet they feel ,like i do ,that being left a mule to ride is the best of the deal.

my problem..i hate the harp rack, never ciould use one so never did ( cant play and play harp at same time) and its the tool of the devil.

so i dig up the harp rack and decide to do a test an see if i could be heard vocally over the banjo and the harp befor practicing all week and them recording some thing.

and ended up with enough that i have in good faith to call it a take not a test.

on the bright side i am pretty relaxed compared to usual and ended up pulling off a more complicated strum rythym than i was planning to use.

its first thing in the morming, you can see my cup of tea on the railing on the far right. I am wondering if in a contsest where the first take counts does the mic test have to be in one take.. my first ( with a big smile ) words are " a test for the seventeenth season of the uke mr"

the camera is sitting on the railing..you can see it bounce when i tap my foot

a great contest dave..thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYsLCDKg1yI

good luck every body

eor

UncleElvis
06-11-2012, 05:46 AM
where the heck have you been?

Busy, brother! I lost my job at Christmas, so had to race around to figger out my life - really fun to do at 43! - and finally settled on playing the ukulele for a living.
Then I had to bust my narrow, pink, Irish bottom to be ready to play a three hour straight through set!
I'm now settled in to that and learned about 25 - 30 new songs over the past two weeks (UWC is an amazing place to learn a grajillion new things!), so I can relax a smidge and do more fun things, like a video for the contest.

I couldn't be happier that this is still happening, by the way! You guys are amazing!

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Sounds beautiful and you really pulled out all the stops with a bare knee and a bonus track to boot... hmm... everything but a silly hat ;)

Check:
2) Bare knee

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Wow eor! this really sounds great! I'm so glad you got out the harp, sent shivers down my spine when I heard it coupled with the steady rhythm of the banjouke... and the rock steady stomping held it all together perfectly, kinda reminded me a little bit of the kick drum sounds emanating from the trunks of some of the cars in my neighborhood ;)

hey
so Im checking out the seasons like I always do and discover that sillydaves cafe has like almost 2 dozen kinds of beer.. " silly" dave.... silly like a fox I say.

I immediatly decide I need one of SPARKY'S ROADHOUSE CAFE's tee shirts since its my new favorite eatery and hangout joint when I am in the neighborhood.

I checked out them mountain sprout fellas and not only would i bet there is a banjo player or two in the family tree but i bet they feel ,like i do ,that being left a mule to ride is the best of the deal.

my problem..i hate the harp rack, never ciould use one so never did ( cant play and play harp at same time) and its the tool of the devil.

so i dig up the harp rack and decide to do a test an see if i could be heard vocally over the banjo and the harp befor practicing all week and them recording some thing.

and ended up with enough that i have in good faith to call it a take not a test.

on the bright side i am pretty relaxed compared to usual and ended up pulling off a more complicated strum rythym than i was planning to use.

its first thing in the morming, you can see my cup of tea on the railing on the far right. I am wondering if in a contsest where the first take counts does the mic test have to be in one take.. my first ( with a big smile ) words are " a test for the seventeenth season of the uke mr"

good luck every body

eor

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 08:06 AM

What a cool cat! Great starter!

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 08:14 AM
What a cool cat! Great starter!
What they said... wow, great job uke4ia! you got yours in so fast I missed it... perfect first take too!

TCK
06-11-2012, 08:16 AM
First take...as evidenced by the horrible wash out in the video and me reading the lyrics I forgot (sigh)
Three chords and some whistling...
and a double entendre so blatant I think it is a single entendre (to borrow a phrase from Jnobianchi).
Remarkably dirty blues tune from 1942, Let Me Play With Your Poodle- Tampa Red.
I learned it from Hank Penny.
Thanks for the week Dave- this has already been more amusing than I could have imagined

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpUQs0IgNd4&feature=youtu.be

wee_ginga_yin
06-11-2012, 09:04 AM
First take...as evidenced by the horrible wash out in the video and me reading the lyrics I forgot (sigh)
and a double entendre so blatant I think it is a single entendre (to borrow a phrase from Jnobianchi).
Thanks for the week Dave- this has already been more amusing than I could have imagined

Marvelous whistling... I bet the poodles for miles around were scratching down your door:old:

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 09:16 AM
another perfect first take! wow, you are a great singer... loved it, brings back memories, 15 years old listening to this and other 78's on my best friend's dad's victrola... thanks :)

myrnaukelele
06-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Check:
2) Bare knee

Such a sad and haunting tune...
and the cutest bonus track so far!

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Check:
2) Bare knee

Great one! :drool: and the soccer knees...

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 10:39 AM
hey

good luck every body

eor

What a nice way to start the day!

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 10:43 AM

:love:
TCK, absolutely awesome singing and whistling here! WOW! You should do more blues!We love this!

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 10:54 AM
The bad thing about this season is that there are sooo many cool songs with animals.
Here's one with a dog. First take was hard to do. I would have had better ideas with that creatures (see the vid).
But may be there's still a cat video to come....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gSLcBYwq_M

J-Peg
06-11-2012, 11:03 AM
As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I've been playing guitar for a really long time. So when I got my first ukulele I wasn't sure how much a part of my musical repertoire it would become. The big question for me at the time was what could I do on this little thing that I couldn't do as well or better on a guitar. So I picked out two songs that I thought would sound good on the uke and that I had tried to do on guitar but, for whatever reason, they just never came together for me on that instrument. They both worked out pretty well on the uke (at least I think so) and they're my "go to" ukulele songs to this day.

One of them happens to be about a cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4VdW-5tyU&feature=youtu.be

austin1
06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
The bad thing about this season is that there are sooo many cool songs with animals.
Here's one with a dog. First take was hard to do. I would have had better ideas with that creatures (see the vid).

einfach geil wie immer :D

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 11:07 AM
As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I've been playing guitar for a really long time. So when I got my first ukulele I wasn't sure how much a part of my musical repertoire it would become. The big question for me at the time was what could I do on this little thing that I couldn't do as well or better on a guitar. So I picked out two songs that I thought would sound good on the uke and that I had tried to do on guitar but, for whatever reason, they just never came together for me on that instrument. They both worked out pretty well on the uke (at least I think so) and they're my "go to" ukulele songs to this day.

Oh no! There goes our cat song...! Good choice man!

J-Peg
06-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Oh no! There goes our cat song...! Good choice man!

Yeah, I figured I had better get this one out quick before somebody else snatched it up. Fortunately for me it was one of the first songs I learned on the ukulele, so I didn't need much practice.

But you could still do it, too. I'd love to hear your version. This is the kind of song you two excel at. Although you would be hard pressed to outdo "Move It On Over." That rocked!

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
einfach geil wie immer :D

Thank you! We're looking forward to your entry!

strumsilly
06-11-2012, 11:30 AM

a very kool cat. thanks, really enjoyed it

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I figured I had better get this one out quick before somebody else snatched it up. Fortunately for me it was one of the first songs I learned on the ukulele, so I didn't need much practice.

But you could still do it, too. I'd love to hear your version. This is the kind of song you two excel at. Although you would be hard pressed to outdo "Move It On Over." That rocked!

Let's see how much time's left. At least great you did the song. It shouldn't miss in this season. And we love cats! "Love cats" - hey, that's another great song for this season...hmmm

peewee
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi All, great stuff so far.
I was in a panic trying to learn a pretty hard song until I realized I had a perfectly good animal song I've been working on already! I wove in a little bonus track as well.
enjoy!

http://youtu.be/oEZxSxIAs50

Here is the original version:
http://youtu.be/QNA9rQcMq00

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Great job! I did miss the lead uku riffery a tiny bit but the thump of that psychobilly bass more than made up for it :) great vocals... call and response stuff... loved it... you two are a great team :)

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Awesome! one of my favorite songs from my high school days and you executed a flawless rendition... sweet!

Penguinofsorts
06-11-2012, 12:34 PM
http://youtu.be/tnMtldOJc5I

First take...during a power outage (I normally would have retaken it in better lighting once I realized how poor it was, but rules are rules).

Ben, written for Donny Osmond but sang by Michael Jackson for a killer rat horror movie from the 70's. I initially believed that it was Michael writing about his beloved pet mouse.... but no, it's about a killer rat. It's a good song, though!!

In the background is my Bearded Dragon, Cinnamon...in the bowl in the terrarium on the right side...soaking...too bad it's too dark to see.

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Hilarious! Bravo! New favorite song! Gonna go look up the chords now... Loved it Peewee, great job!

I was in a panic trying to learn a pretty hard song until I realized I had a perfectly good animal song I've been working on already! I wove in a little bonus track as well.
enjoy!

OldePhart
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Well...there went my first choice - but you guys did it way more awesome than I would have, anyway! Great job on a grand old song.

Fortunately, my second choice is probably pretty safe and something I'll be able to tape as soon as the house gets quite for 3 minutes! LOL

John

OldePhart
06-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Great job penguin - but now I'm going to have nightmares about rats again. LOL I don't think I've heard that song since the movie came out. Great choice.

John

First take...during a power outage (I normally would have retaken it in better lighting once I realized how poor it was, but rules are rules).

Ben, written for Donny Osmond but sang by Michael Jackson for a killer rat horror movie from the 70's. I initially believed that it was Michael writing about his beloved pet mouse.... but no, it's about a killer rat. It's a good song, though!!

In the background is my Bearded Dragon, Cinnamon...in the bowl in the terrarium on the right side...soaking...too bad it's too dark to see.

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Beautifully done, never was much of a MJ fan, but I love your rendition... it's like you're singing to me ;)

OldePhart
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Ha-ha! Great song - at some point I heard this at UWC this year - great fun!

John

enjoy!

OldePhart
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Sweeet! Great job on a super song. Now I've got to see if I can find the album in one of these boxes around here 'cause I need to digitize it and get it on my MP3 player... :)

OldePhart
06-11-2012, 01:09 PM

I can vouch for that...anybody who would sing about Circle K hot dogs...when Circle K doesn't have hot dogs...couldn't possibly be a professional! :)

John

UncleElvis
06-11-2012, 02:04 PM
I can vouch for that...anybody who would sing about Circle K hot dogs...when Circle K doesn't have hot dogs...couldn't possibly be a professional! :)

John

The problem with this week is that I can't do the Circle K hotdog song! We have to reference animals in the song and hotdogs, even though the word dog is in the name, have no reference to animals in them...
Especially Circle K hotdogs!

austin1
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
so multiple entries are allowed?

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 02:21 PM

well done mate, great job, we had a tv advert in the 80's for cat food that went " meow,meow,meow,meoow "

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Check:
2) Bare knee

eerrrggghhh Dirty Leeds, it is unbelievable how far they have slipped down the leagues and yet they won the championship back in the 90's, loved the masonic knee.
Great song Wee-ginga, i love your style and sound and the bonus was cute to :)

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
hey

good luck every body

eor

:) great to see you back eor, and great tune mate, loved the foot tapping, great banjolele playing and the harmonica was cool to, sounded really good mate, wow your porch looks fab to

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Great job Dave, that sounded really good,loved it, well done all the best from the other,other dave :)

Penguinofsorts
06-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Wow...all of these entries are great!! What a variety! People meowing, blues-ing, waltzing, killing pigeons, doing illicit things with 'poodles', playing harmonica, banjo uke AND foot stomping at the same time (beyond me...) and all sorts. I love these videos!!

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Wow, loved it guys,loved the shirts,i'm a bit partial to a western shirt myself,loved the uke,it sure looked shiny,great song,you rocked :)

J-Peg
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
so multiple entries are allowed?

From earlier in the thread:

yes, you may enter as many times as you like, but your final entry will be the one judged, as in other season's.

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Great job mate,fab strumming and ace picking and nice cool vocals,top job mate

uke4ia
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
well done mate, great job, we had a tv advert in the 80's for cat food that went " meow,meow,meow,meoow "

We did in the States, too. This was one of the two great songs of 2006 to include meowing, the other being "Kevin Is Gay" by Giant Drag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dugZU0QCYg

Woo Hoo! Tonight I passed 10,000 total views on YouTube. Thanks to all of you who've watched any of my videos. I'm always grateful for any validation I can get. :)

austin1
06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
From earlier in the thread:

thanks !

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
enjoy!

Top job Peewee, loved the picking of the melody note, sounded really good,someone at our uke club performed this song a few months ago,great job as ever well done mate :)

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Great job penguin and great to see you back again, i actually prefer your version to the original, it was really good :) but i have a phobia about rats though :)

uke4ia
06-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Are those steel strings, TCK?

TCK
06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Nope- Southcoast linear C tuning, spruce top...and me really whacking the heck out of them ;) That's why I love them strings so much-tons of jangle

Are those steel strings, TCK?

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Check:
2) Bare knee

loved the jersey, showing a bit of skin!, the sheepish song, and the wee hedgehoggies!

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 04:49 PM

actually we have 25 beers on tap and another 40 in bottles! plenty for you to choose from when you get in the neighborhood!

great song and harp! cheers!

OldePhart
06-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Well...I've missed a few weeks but I had three minutes of quiet this evening so here's my entry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO02JzPzg8s&feature=youtu.be

John

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM

loved the poodle! my dog sparky was wagging his tail!

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 04:56 PM

another great one from the Ukelites! love the combo of bass and resonator! and the shirts!! dig it!

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 04:58 PM

great song and nice picking! and nice alley!

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 05:01 PM
enjoy!

love me some tom lehrer! sung and played really well!

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM

first rat song! great job! creepy movie but great singing and playing! ha!

eor
06-11-2012, 05:11 PM
hey folks

good job everybody........

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Well...I've missed a few weeks but I had three minutes of quiet this evening so here's my entry!

John

so far...you're in the lead for mentioning the most animals! and, playing in all that rain!! my my! great job!

myrnaukelele
06-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Wow...all of these entries are great!! What a variety! People meowing, blues-ing, waltzing, killing pigeons, doing illicit things with 'poodles', playing harmonica, banjo uke AND foot stomping at the same time (beyond me...) and all sorts. I love these videos!!
I second that- some great entries this week. So fun to see all the different styles. And like the Ukelites said- there are SO many good animal songs.

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 05:17 PM
wonderful entries everyone!! it's only monday and we have 9 entries! i am very impressed!
if i did it right, here's a playlist so far
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C78FBDE8F0ED6E2&feature=edit_ok

cheers for now!

TCK
06-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Agreed- this is already so dang good- great job folks!

wonderful entries everyone!! it's only monday and we have 9 entries! i am very impressed!
if i did it right, here's a playlist so far

cheers for now!

ukuleledaddy
06-11-2012, 05:50 PM
enjoy!

PeeWee, that is beautiful. Really lovely you sick, sick man. I must learn this song! I only wish you had filmed this at the park next to someone who was feeding the pigeons!

TCK
06-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Jeez- I gotta...here's a commercial break for y'all. The finest animal song ever written.
PeeWee- you did the heck out of this one, brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

benjoeuke
06-11-2012, 06:38 PM

John
Great job John, good first take on a tough song, a real tongue twister... my kids loved it to... I think I'm supposed to learn it now or something :p :confused:

Hippie Dribble
06-11-2012, 06:59 PM
hi gang,

just brilliant stuff everyone, these performances have been a real treat so far. Bravo to all, my hat is off. :) I can't pretend this was a first take...reckon I practiced it for half a day to remember the animal names and not get tongue tied...still took me nearly 20 goes he he...but it gave me an idea...

I'll upload my real entry later in the week, but for now, here's a contest within the contest:

First person to PM me with the correct number of animals mentioned in the song wins 'All Of God's Creatures', a 2CD set of animal folk songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VBDhAfWKTo

Start countin'!!!!!! :p

ukuleledaddy
06-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Wow, great entries so far everybody! Here's my cross my heart and hope to die one take of Little Red Riding Hood. Great twist on the seasons Dave!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWzsuy_O8Ec&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1&feature=plcp

Hippie Dribble
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
aaaaaaaand, we have a winner!!! Congrats to Dave for speed countin' precision...

yep, 51 animals in 35 seconds...whew :p

thesillydave
06-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Wow, great entries so far everybody! Here's my cross my heart and hope to die one take of Little Red Riding Hood. Great twist on the seasons Dave!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWzsuy_O8Ec&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1&feature=plcp

loved it daddy! nice wolf in cheap...uh, i mean sheep clothing!

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 09:18 PM

John

Wow, John, I guess there were almost more animals in your song as in Eugene's! Great choice and very well done!

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 09:20 PM
enjoy!

Yeah, great one! Want to learn that song now too!

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Cool choice! One of our favourite movies in our childhood :)

wee_ginga_yin
06-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Such a sad and haunting tune...
and the cutest bonus track so far!

Thanks Myrna... some people bring their wives into the equations... I thought I would give grandkids a go :-)

It is indeed a mournful song full of longing. Here are the chords for you if you want to give it a go sometime.

Intro C-Dm-Em-G C-Dm-F-G-G

How (C)blithe was (Em)I each (F)morn to (C)see
My lass come (Am)o'er the (F)hill
(C)She skipped the (Em)burn and she (Am)ran tae (C)me
(F)I met her wi good (G)will.

Chorus
(C)O the (Em)broom, the (F)bonnie, bonnie (C)broom
The broom o the (Am)Cowden(F)knowes
(C)Fain would I (Em)be in my (Am)ain coun(C)try
(F)Herding her father's (G)ewes

Repeat Intro

Hard (C)fate that (Em)I should (F)banished (C)be
Gone way o'er (Am)hill and (F)moor
Be(C)cause I (Em)loved the (Am)fairest (C)lass
(F)That ever yet was (G)born

Chorus + Intro

Fare(C)well, ye (Em)Cowden(F)knowes, fare(C)well
Farewell all (Am)pleasures (F)there
(C)To wander (Em)by her (Am)side a(C)gain
(F)Is all I crave or (G)care

Chorus 2x
Instrumental chorus + Intro 2x + final C-chord

I somehow like the Archie Fisher version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQzPgv8qjfM) the best

The Ukelites
06-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Howl, howl, howl! AAAAAAAAAaouuuuuuuuhhhh!

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 11:52 PM

John
Great to see you back John,we have missed you mate. Loved your song, that brought back many childhood memories for me, i remember listening to that song on a childrens LP we used to have,it took me back to the early 70's. It is funny that song came to my mind when the theme was announced and you have made my week doing it, loved it mate, i really love your voice mate, it is great, reminds me so much of johhny cash, it is fab. :) I am dreading doing my song, as i tend to swear rather profusely when i muck a take up and i have no bleeping button, anyway great to se you mate and loved your song and the rain effect on the video :)

ukuleledaveey
06-11-2012, 11:59 PM

loved it mate, i thought i was watching the terminator or should i say ukeinator :) great setting dark and mean, well done mate great song to, really enjoyed it, :)

TCK
06-12-2012, 03:57 AM
YES YES YES! So glad someone busted out with Sam the Sham's finest hour :)

TCK
06-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Loved this song as a kid and had forgotten all about it- such a great job on a great tune

John

peewee
06-12-2012, 06:02 AM
PeeWee, that is beautiful. Really lovely you sick, sick man. I must learn this song! I only wish you had filmed this at the park next to someone who was feeding the pigeons!

Daddy, I considered waiting to shoot in a park with birds and all, but I felt like that was too much production for a first take video, and having alternated between working and rehearsing all morning, I went for it.
I am very glad I got to share that with you all, I've been trying to play it for a while...Thanks all for the nice comments.

I remember having some trouble finding accurate chords, this is the best I found:
http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/poisonin.htm
and I have since purchased the fabulous book of Lehrer tunes:
http://www.amazon.com/Lehrer-Enough-Drawings-Ronald-Searle/dp/0394749308

What a great bunch of entries this week, not a glum one in the bunch, well except for Wee's haunting egg poaching song.

And I have to call out Daddy for his Little Red Riding Hood. There's nothing like properly executed garage rock!

And Penguinofsorts, I never would have thought a MJ song could sound so compelling, great delivery.

TCK, I had a couple of poodle songs I considered, but not that one. Strangely they all seem to be about the same thing.

Uke4ia, you win the early bird prize with a tough and obscure song. Nice.

eor, that was foot stompin' good, glad I don't live downstairs from you.

Ukelites, the first take suited you well, nice to see a little looseness in your playing, you were sure having fun and it shows.

jpeg - it sure sounds like you've played that one a few times before, fits you like an old pair of shoes.

oldepharte - thanks for clearing up the unicorn thing, now I get why they only live at the bottom of the ocean.

hope I'm not forgetting anyone..

A very entertaining week so far, not a dud in the bunch (except maybe for mine) and it's only Tuesday!
It seems like the first take thing has actually led to some more relaxed performances, which is a little counter-intuitive.

cheers (winnie, coo, purr, woof, moo, bleat, heehaw)
peewee

ukuleledaveey
06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi everyone I didn't think I was going to be able to step up to the challenge of a 1 take/1st take vid, as i have a terrible habit of swearing intensely when I stuff up, I make a torrets sufferer look lame :)
Well I managed to do it this afternoon, after 3 days of practising in between gigs with my uke club, and it is kind of more special as today is my wife's and I's 8th wedding anniversary (you get less for murder now a days) So I managed to to do this first take up in the hidden depths of our attic. And now I am off out for a chinese meal,banquet :drool:
Loved all the entries, they are great, I am doing a old blues song that the Rolling Stones covered, all the best from me :)

http://youtu.be/DuJ3D7IEbIY

myrnaukelele
06-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi everyone I didn't think I was going to be able to step up to the challenge of a 1 take/1st take vid, as i have a terrible habit of swearing intensely when I stuff up, I make a torrets sufferer look lame :)
Well I managed to do it this afternoon, after 3 days of practising in between gigs with my uke club, and it is kind of more special as today is my wife's and I's 8th wedding anniversary (you get less for murder now a days) So I managed to to do this first take up in the hidden depths of our attic. And now I am off out for a chinese meal,banquet :drool:
Loved all the entries, they are great, I am doing a old blues song that the Rolling Stones covered, all the best from me :)

Great blues song ukeledaveey! My song has a rooster in it too- hoping to record it outside by the chicken coop if it would just stop raining. And congrats on your anniversary! 2004 was a great year to get married. My hubby and I are week away from our 8th anniversary :-)

ukuleledaddy
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM

First of all, happy anniversary to you and the Mrs. Secondly, I for one would have appreciated some swearing peppered throughout, though there certainly was no need as you did a damn fine job! I was wondering if somebody would do this song. Yeah, the one take has everyone a bit nervous I think. Everyone's done such a wonderful job. Way to go UkuleleDaveey!

ukuleledaddy
06-12-2012, 07:20 AM
2004 was a great year to get married. My hubby and I are week away from our 8th anniversary :-)

it is kind of more special as today is my wife's and I's 8th wedding anniversary

By the way, my wife and I just celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary as well last month. You're right Myrna, 2004 was a great year to get married! Being the wedding and anniversary season, I wonder if one of the upcoming seasons ties into that theme.........

The Ukelites
06-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi everyone I didn't think I was going to be able to step up to the challenge of a 1 take/1st take vid, as i have a terrible habit of swearing Loved all the entries, they are great, I am doing a old blues song that the Rolling Stones covered, all the best from me :)

Congratulations to your anniversary and to your song, Daveey! :cheers:

peewee
06-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi everyone I didn't think I was going to be able to step up to the challenge of a 1 take/1st take vid, as i have a terrible habit of swearing intensely when I stuff up....as today is my wife's and I's 8th wedding anniversary .... I managed to to do this first take up in the hidden depths of our attic.

That was &^%#$&@&#($* Great, Daveey, I'm really glad someone did My &%$# Red %#$$% Rooster, that one was on my list for sure. Disappointed we didn't get to hear the tourettes, do you know this guy:
http://youtu.be/9DbUPjEbIvA
(warning profanity)
Nice job, the picking is coming along too, all these seasons are paying off. Oh and Congratu-@#$*&%@-lations!

ukuleledaddy
06-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Disappointed we didn't get to hear the tourettes, do you know this guy:
(warning profanity)

Peewee, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Maybe this could be integrated somehow into another seasons contest! I love that he's wearing a KISS T-shirt towards the end. He's my new favorite musician. We should all take a collection and send him a ukulele so he can contribute to the seasons contests!

TCK
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
TREEMAN RULES!!!!
Season 19...Treeman style?
I'm a Magic Man

That was &^%#$&@&#($* Great, Daveey, I'm really glad someone did My &%$# Red %#$$% Rooster, that one was on my list for sure. Disappointed we didn't get to hear the tourettes, do you know this guy:
(warning profanity)
Nice job, the picking is coming along too, all these seasons are paying off. Oh and Congratu-@#$*&%@-lations!

benjoeuke
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Great job, classic song, one of my old favs... excellent singing and strumming :)

mattydee
06-12-2012, 09:26 AM
By the way, my wife and I just celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary as well last month. You're right Myrna, 2004 was a great year to get married! Being the wedding and anniversary season, I wonder if one of the upcoming seasons ties into that theme.........

We just celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary last week! Woohoo!

benjoeuke
06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Great job and great song choice too, one of my favorite blues songs by one of my all time favorite blues singers, Howlin' Wolf... loved it! :) and congrats... my wife and I are coming up on 11 years... Sept. 8, 2001... talk about a surreal honeymoon!

thesillydave
06-12-2012, 09:42 AM

great job daveey! and happy anniversary!

J-Peg
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM
29 years next week.

noobs

thesillydave
06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
29 years next week.

noobs

ha! 24 years, next halloween!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
My wife and I are coming up on our second anniversary June 16th.

Great to read about so many enduring, ukulele-friendly marriages among the Seasonistas. Y'all aren't just bold, courageous ukulele-challenge-accepting role models, but y'all have each mastered a few important relationship skills as well. Hoping to follow along in your footsteps in both departments. Bravo, Seasonistas, bravo!

ukuleledaveey
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi all just got in from to much chinese food and to much beer,had a great night, thanks so much all of you for your wishes,you guys n gals are great, i know i only know you on this site, but i have alot of time and respect for you all, thanks for all your encouragment and online friendship, gees i hope im not being to mushy :o
peewee me old mucka yes i have seen the that guitarist before, i used to behave like that but im getting more mellow as i get older, but the frustration is being replaced by cynicism on the subject of tourettes, have any of you ever seen the highlights of this BBC documentary, i know we shouildn't laugh, but also these people are so great as they have a great positive attitude and laugh at themselves, they are inspiring, and they come across as intelligent people which they obviously are so check this out, but please be warned it contains strong language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtCG0wG-5E0

Once again thanks for your kind words about my song and the wishes for my annivesary sending you all best wishes for your anniversaries that you have just had or upcoming, lots of ukulele love to you all :rolleyes::shaka::cheers:

TCK
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Happy Anniversary everyone! Must be something in the June air...12 years on the 24th for us

Hippie Dribble
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Mum and dad had their 55th on June 1. For me and eugenie it's coming up 14 years in September...woman deserves a medal :p

uke4ia
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
My wife and I will be 18 years next month. On the down side, she hasn't come to see me play in three years. But on the other hand, that in itself could be why she stays married to me. :confused:

Hippie Dribble
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
My wife and I will be 18 years next month. On the down side, she hasn't come to see me play in three years. But on the other hand, that in itself could be why she stays married to me. :confused:
*LIKE* :biglaugh::rofl::old:

OldePhart
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Great job John, good first take on a tough song, a real tongue twister... my kids loved it to... I think I'm supposed to learn it now or something :p :confused:

Heh, heh. Thanks. Let me know if you want the lead sheet...

OldePhart
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
hi gang,

just brilliant stuff everyone, these performances have been a real treat so far. Bravo to all, my hat is off. :) I can't pretend this was a first take...reckon I practiced it for half a day to remember the animal names and not get tongue tied...still took me nearly 20 goes he he...but it gave me an idea...

I'll upload my real entry later in the week, but for now, here's a contest within the contest:

First person to PM me with the correct number of animals mentioned in the song wins 'All Of God's Creatures', a 2CD set of animal folk songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VBDhAfWKTo

Start countin'!!!!!! :p

Woah! :bow:

OldePhart
06-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Great job! Love the "sheep's suit" :)

OldePhart
06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Great job Daveey. That Bruko sounds sweet. Congrats on the anniversary, too!

OldePhart
06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
...do you know this guy:
(warning profanity)

By jove, I think he has anger management issues. I wonder if he'd get upset if I mentioned that he really should tune the guitar...

OldePhart
06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
29 years next week.

noobs

34 years...noob :)

And to paraphrase Daveey - you get less time for mass murder these days... :)

ukuleledaveey
06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
And to paraphrase Daveey - you get less time for mass murder these days... :):agree::biglaugh:

Great job Daveey. That Bruko sounds sweet. Congrats on the anniversary, too!

Many thanks John, absolutely loved your song to, and your voice is awesome, yeah i love the Bruko, it is such a great uke for a unbeleivable price

TCK
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
My parents have been married forty five years, and I have been around for forty of them to observe the bliss. At every Anniversary they both sign a contract for another year, and he always says "If I had killed her when I first thought of it, I'd be out by now". :)

34 years...noob :)

And to paraphrase Daveey - you get less time for mass murder these days... :)

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 09:38 AM
hey!! we are the rest of you seasonists??!! we started out gangbusters and had 10 entries as of tuesday...then...silence!
maybe upping the prize levels... places 1-5 will also get a sparky's beverage coozie!
that should bring them out of the wood work! haha!!
great job for all the entries so far!!

benjoeuke
06-13-2012, 09:41 AM
I've been practicing my song everyday... it's got one verse... not gonna hit the record button til the last minute ;)

29moons
06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
OK! So, here is my entry for the One Take Animal Week. I haven't been around since the 6th week so a hello to everyone. I'm home this week as I had ankle surgery and thought I would take the opportunity to get back into the Seasons. It worked out really well as I was able to do it in one take. Please forgive me for forgetting to mention the 17th week, you'll see in the video. Glad to be back and I hope to be able to do more in the coming weeks. Oh yea, mine mentions a crocodile.

http://youtu.be/nfLzqA8LjP8

mattydee
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
hey!! we are the rest of you seasonists??!! we started out gangbusters and had 10 entries as of tuesday...then...silence!
maybe upping the prize levels... places 1-5 will also get a sparky's beverage coozie!

Patience, grasshopper...

ukuloonie
06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I have one on the way
I am just giving mine some practice and trying something different
plus I should have the scores up on thursday for Season Sixteen.
:D

ukuleledaddy
06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
OK! So, here is my entry for the One Take Animal Week. I haven't been around since the 6th week so a hello to everyone. I'm home this week as I had ankle surgery and thought I would take the opportunity to get back into the Seasons. It worked out really well as I was able to do it in one take. Please forgive me for forgetting to mention the 17th week, you'll see in the video. Glad to be back and I hope to be able to do more in the coming weeks. Oh yea, mine mentions a crocodile.

http://youtu.be/nfLzqA8LjP8

Nice one 29moons. Great to have you back!!

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
great song 29moons! also, glad to have you with us and i hope your ankle is better!

Hippie Dribble
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
tried to upload mine yesterday mate but computer failed twice. will try again this morning...TBC :uhoh:

ukuleledaveey
06-13-2012, 01:39 PM

good to see you back,hope the ankle is mending ok, good song,great concise rhythmic strumming and lots of lovely sunshine you lucky thing :)

jmw
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
OK, here goes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0rD-jGtf6g

"Anyone Else But You" by the Moldy Peaches, which mentions a monkey.

Also special appearance by my cat, a few lyrical flubs, and at least one errantly plucked string.

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
OK, here goes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0rD-jGtf6g

Also special appearance by my cat, a few lyrical flubs, and at least one errantly plucked string.

loved it! thanks for joining in!

Hippie Dribble
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
After my first choice tune had been dutifully practiced for half a day, my attempt to play it took nearly 20 goes...I pressed stop after 6 minutes...it both exhausted my extensive vocabulary of expletives and burned out the battery in my camera. So after that debacle I took the opposite approach with this one and went in unrehearsed...not without hiccups but there it is. :o Thanks for a great challenge Dave! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjkBnSjiWs

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 03:41 PM
After my first choice tune had been dutifully practiced for half a day, my attempt to play it took nearly 20 goes...I pressed stop after 6 minutes...it both exhausted my extensive vocabulary of expletives and burned out the battery in my camera. So after that debacle I took the opposite approach with this one and went in unrehearsed...not without hiccups but there it is. :o Thanks for a great challenge Dave! :)

another memorable "live" jon eugene performance! thought it was great! one of those songs from my youth (with bugs bunny) that i thought about doing someday...
thanks for jumping in!

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
current playlist:

great entries everyone!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Bees, gorillas, hyenas, and snakes, oh my...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNrZ6VRtOQ

29moons
06-13-2012, 04:03 PM
current playlist:

great entries everyone!

Did I not make it into the latest playlist?

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Did I not make it into the latest playlist?

oops! sorry about that! you're there now!!

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 04:50 PM

nice one ralf! had me tapping my toes!

29moons
06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
oops! sorry about that! you're there now!!

Thanks Dave. That puts me right between two great players and videos.

DallasOz
06-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi Dave and everyone involved in the seasons,
My name is Dallas, I am new to the forum although I have been watching the seasons as a guest for a while. I wrote an original song "Lanie's Blues" to enter into this weeks contest. However Murphy got me and my first take was unusable. I have posted an ok take in the videos and links section under Lanie's Blues if anyone wants to see what these wonderful contests can inspire anyway.
Dallas

myrnaukelele
06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
This one's really rough lol! I placed the camera on a pile of boards that shifted without me realizing it. So it's a bit tilted.
http://youtu.be/CxSIzJVmNEc

Canoe Lady
06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
That was great fun Myrna! :rock:

This one's really rough lol! I placed the camera on a pile of boards that shifted without me realizing it. So it's a bit tilted.

myrnaukelele
06-13-2012, 06:43 PM
That was great fun Myrna! :rock:
Thanks Canoe Lady! It was fun to record. The chickens were really raising a ruckus in there and I couldn't stop laughing...

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM

very swell! loved the added critter noises! you planned that didn't you!! it works!

Hippie Dribble
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks Canoe Lady! It was fun to record. The chickens were really raising a ruckus in there and I couldn't stop laughing...

that was so lovely myrna...brilliant setting...the flower decos on the chookhouse are beautiful and that is just a fab song. well done! :)

Canoe Lady
06-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Here's my entry: Coyotes by Don Edwards.
I am truly not a one take person. I messed up right outta the gate, but tried to hide it :)

The breeze came up while I was recording, so sorry for the extra noise. I specifically went out to do this at about 10:30pm, hoping the nightly loons would begin their evening calling while I was recording. You can usually set your clocks by them, but not tonight. Too bad, that would had made you not notice my mistakes.
Anyway, thanks for this great contest. These entries have been loads of fun to watch!

~Diane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmDjAcqEc8w&feature=channel&list=UL

Hippie Dribble
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM

geez Ralf, this is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD mate. Bravo!!!

Hippie Dribble
06-13-2012, 07:02 PM
I am truly not a one take person. I messed up right outta the gate, but tried to hide it :)

The breeze came up while I was recording, so sorry for the extra noise. I specifically went out to do this at about 10:30pm, hoping the nightly loons would begin their evening calling while I was recording. You can usually set your clocks by them, but not tonight. Too bad, that would had made you not notice my mistakes.
Anyway, thanks for this great contest. These entries have been loads of fun to watch!

~Diane

wow Diane...a little speechless here...that is one of my most loved songs. How wonderful you chose that one...beautifully sung, sweetly played, gorgeous, emotive setting, raw and powerful. The couple of finger fluffs just gave weight to the honesty and integrity of the performance. Take a bow my friend. SUPERB.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Finally got a chance to check out the playlist---great work, Seasonistas! Amazing how many of y'all captured such great stuff on the first take.

thesillydave
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM

~Diane

growing up in texas..that was very nice...full of feeling...thanks canoelady!

UncleElvis
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
My entry was filmed tonight at my gig. Not one but TWO songs in a medley! Now to figger out how to get it uploaded to YouTube! My comp is busted, so it's gonna be a challenge... But I'm gonna do it!

ukuleledaveey
06-13-2012, 11:38 PM
OK, here goes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0rD-jGtf6g

Great to see you back again, that was a nice song, nice strumming and sweet vocals,loved the "do, do,do ,do's", great job :)

ukuleledaveey
06-13-2012, 11:43 PM

Great job as ever Jon,you certainly did well for winging it :) i remember that tune from my childhood, great job mate

ukuleledaveey
06-13-2012, 11:49 PM

Great job ralf, that was fab you are the ukulele clash Master. loved the vocals, loved the strumming and great bit of chunking, well done mate :)

ukuleledaveey
06-13-2012, 11:55 PM

That was fantastic Myrna :) loved it, I actually loved the tilted angle it looked cool, great song, great strummin, and great vocals from yourself and the chooks, really loved the setting as well, those flowers look really groovy to, your video made me smile so much, it was brilliant, and not to forget the bonus track,great job Myrna :shaka::cool:

ukuleledaveey
06-14-2012, 12:03 AM

~Diane

Great job Diane,very atmospheric, great playing and sweet singing, you did a top job,well done :)

wee_ginga_yin
06-14-2012, 02:53 AM

Seems like the roosters are a major theme in this weeks challenge
One of the best rooster songs ever is Gallo del Cielo by Tom Russell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgom-IWpKdM).
It is a marvellous story and for some reason I get choked up by the
emotion of it.

Someone from the TEX-MEX border should do it.

ksiegel
06-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Well, since I didn't have surgery, I did a video.

A Place In The Choir by Bill Staines.

One take, slight editing to improve video contrast.

I think I usually do it slower, with more fingerpicking, but then I also usually do a lot more takes, and pick the one I like best.

http://youtu.be/CzM_Lo0FbWo

-Kurt

ukuleledaveey
06-14-2012, 03:40 AM

I think I usually do it slower, with more fingerpicking, but then I also usually do a lot more takes, and pick the one I like best.

-Kurt

Hi ya Kurt and welcome aboard the seasons :) great song lovely playing, loved the picking, loved the lyrics to, great job mate, it sure is tough doing one first take, i cant believe i managed it :) anyway great song and hope to see you in future weeks :)

thesillydave
06-14-2012, 03:46 AM

-Kurt

whew! that was impressive kurt! not a song i'd try for a one take! great job! thanks for joining up with the seasons!

myrnaukelele
06-14-2012, 06:33 AM
wow Diane...a little speechless here...that is one of my most loved songs. How wonderful you chose that one...beautifully sung, sweetly played, gorgeous, emotive setting, raw and powerful. The couple of finger fluffs just gave weight to the honesty and integrity of the performance. Take a bow my friend. SUPERB.
What he said...
Really that was beautiful.

franklin.habit
06-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Love this.

It happened to be playing for a second time as my other half walked by. I've been reassuring him that playing the uke is no kookier than playing the guitar or the piano.

So much for that.

Tootler
06-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Had a look through this afternoon. There is a fascinating variety of entries. I didn't really have time to comment on them all, so nice on everybody.

Anyway, here is my effort. A song by Ewan MacColl written for a UK radio documentary in 1964. There was a series of eight transmitted between 1958 and 1964 about peoples everyday lives and they were ground breaking in their day. The producers went out in the field interviewing people about their daily lives and actually used the the actual recordings of the people themselves talking about their lives. In addition there were songs written based on the interviews. This song "Freeborn Man" was taken from the last one "The Travelling People".

There are three mentions of animals, birds, horses and dogs. I am also trying my new Flea.

http://youtu.be/DZ_kYdalta8

TCK
06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
It came out so good! Well done!!!

~Diane

29moons
06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Love this.

It happened to be playing for a second time as my other half walked by. I've been reassuring him that playing the uke is no kookier than playing the guitar or the piano.

So much for that.

Yep! Uke Daddy is like that.

strumsilly
06-14-2012, 10:35 AM

~Diane

VERY NICE. I love songs of the Old West. well done. How about a cowboy/cowgirl week. steak dinner for the winner. haha

uke4ia
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1a-GwG6mU

This is a bonus song for this week, not my official entry -- and not the first take. I was saving this song for when (if?) my armadillolele is finished, but since that's taking forever and since it's Animal Week...

This is the oldest original song of mine that I haven't completely disowned. I wrote this on a Martin soprano in 1978 when I was 17. All the teenage guys I knew who played acoustic guitar were always playing these painfully earnest '70s songs about the beauty of nature and such. The lyrics of this song were just a goof on those kind of songs.

And since it's Animal Week, at the end there's some bonus footage of Eisley Rabbit playing in his tunnel (a long skinny box from some plumbing supplies, with holes cut in the ends) and meeting a new friend.

strumsilly
06-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Great job ralf, that was fab you are the ukulele clash Master. loved the vocals, loved the strumming and great bit of chunking, well done mate :)
that was chunkalicious. I need a chunky after that.

strumsilly
06-14-2012, 10:53 AM

]

wow, nice uke and nice playing. loved how you got that old timey banjo thing going on. hadn't heard this one in awhile.

uke4ia
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM

How come your "mistakes" sound better than my good takes? :(

uke4ia
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Very nice. Your voice reminds me of Carrie Bradley from Ed's Redeeming Qualities, the first non-Hawaiian band I ever heard with a ukulele player in it.

thesillydave
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Had a look through this afternoon. There is a fascinating variety of entries. I didn't really have time to comment on them all, so nice on everybody.

Anyway, here is my effort. A song by Ewan MacColl written for a UK radio documentary in 1964. There was a series of eight transmitted between 1958 and 1964 about peoples everyday lives and they were ground breaking in their day. The producers went out in the field interviewing people about their daily lives and actually used the the actual recordings of the people themselves talking about their lives. In addition there were songs written based on the interviews. This song "Freeborn Man" was taken from the last one "The Travelling People".

There are three mentions of animals, birds, horses and dogs. I am also trying my new Flea.

thanks for joining us jeff! had a very woody guthrie -esqe sound to it! very nice!

thesillydave
06-14-2012, 02:01 PM

This is a bonus song for this week, not my official entry -- and not the first take. I was saving this song for when (if?) my armadillolele is finished, but since that's taking forever and since it's Animal Week...

This is the oldest original song of mine that I haven't completely disowned. I wrote this on a Martin soprano in 1978 when I was 17. All the teenage guys I knew who played acoustic guitar were always playing these painfully earnest '70s songs about the beauty of nature and such. The lyrics of this song were just a goof on those kind of songs.

And since it's Animal Week, at the end there's some bonus footage of Eisley Rabbit playing in his tunnel (a long skinny box from some plumbing supplies, with holes cut in the ends) and meeting a new friend.

i could easily see jethro tull do that one!

UncleElvis
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
One question...

If Jimmy crack corn and you don't care, why did you write a song about it?

(JK!)

You buggers are WAY too good! Amazing entries. I love this.
Mine is on the way, as soon as I can get on the bride's computer.

peewee
06-14-2012, 06:27 PM

That was epic. I love your early work!

UncleElvis
06-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Fingers crossed that this uploads right and shows up here.
First time doing it on a PC... and this one actively dislikes me!

This was at a gig, so I talked a lot of nonsense. Pay no attention to the babble about wanting to win really badly... *grin*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cog55eyVsZg&feature=youtu.be

Argh. Ignore that. YouTube is playing games.
I just chucked it into some movie making thing Microsoft has and am exporting now. Once that's done, I'll upload.

thesillydave
06-14-2012, 09:20 PM
where is i???!!

UncleElvis
06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
where is i???!!
Uploading now!

UncleElvis
06-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Uploaded!

Let's hope it plays ok!

ukuloonie
06-14-2012, 09:55 PM
It works fine
but theres a bloomin big ship behind you mate!

UncleElvis
06-14-2012, 09:58 PM
It works fine
but theres a bloomin big ship behind you mate!

HOLY CRAP! Is THAT what that was? *grin*

(I got nothin' for a punchline here... it's almost 5am!)

TCK
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Well worth the wait! The flashmob for necessities is brilliant! Two of my favorites from a great old film as well.

This was at a gig, so I talked a lot of nonsense. Pay no attention to the babble about wanting to win really badly... *grin*

I just chucked it into some movie making thing Microsoft has and am exporting now. Once that's done, I'll upload.

Tootler
06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
thanks for joining us jeff! had a very woody guthrie -esqe sound to it! very nice!

Woody Guthrie -esque!? That's a real compliment. Thanks.

ukuleledaveey
06-15-2012, 01:21 AM

Great bonus song uke4ia, well played and well sung and well written :) have a good weekend mate :)

ukuleledaveey
06-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Nice to see you back again Geoff :) nice song and that new flea sounds nice, well done mate :)

ukuleledaveey
06-15-2012, 01:29 AM

The long anticipated,much malingered,ever hopeful return of the prodigal Uncle Elvis :) great to see you mate, we have missed you . Love this video it is so so good, and looks great fun, and two of my fave songs, how can you not toe tap or cut some shapes in the rug listening to those wonderful tunes, great choice and excellently played and sung, loved it mate, hope we get to see you in future weeks, we need our Uncle :) seriously though well done great entry.

ksiegel
06-15-2012, 03:50 AM
A Bonus Track for Season 17 of the Ukuleles

I learned this at an Irish Bar over 30 years ago. I think Willie Nelson may have recorded it (Why did they always play Country Music at Irish Bars?)

This version is based on "The Famous Pig" by Clarke Van Ness and Frank Henri Klickmann (New York: Rialto Music Pub. Corp., 1935). Lots more verses, and I don't think I can memorize them all.

http://youtu.be/WSedfZeMjyM

-Kurt

MattLindahl
06-15-2012, 05:12 AM
It's been a while. I blame work. Work~ the curse of the ukulele playing class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS2F1QP4CMA&feature=plcp

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 05:29 AM

wonderful!! and making money at it to boot! i propose a uke getogether in your town!

OldePhart
06-15-2012, 06:36 AM

Amazing job, E - really good to see you "in your office!"

UncleElvis
06-15-2012, 06:51 AM
wonderful!! and making money at it to boot! i propose a uke getogether in your town!

Don't tell anyone, but I'm working on it!

UncleElvis
06-15-2012, 06:53 AM

My GOD, you are a beautiful man.

Seriously, though... Gorgeous song. Prodigals return!

UncleElvis
06-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words, y'all... I consider it high praise coming from the likes of you lot!

I THINK I'm back to a regular schedule, so I should be able to join in more often... I hope.

glass
06-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Well here it is truly a first take, on Hungry like a Wolf...for some reason when the video goes I always screw up a bunch, right before this I played it 2x pretty flawless...oh well...enjoy!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yNQziRXzo

MattLindahl
06-15-2012, 07:45 AM
My GOD, you are a beautiful man.

Seriously, though... Gorgeous song. Prodigals return!

Thanks E! Looks idyllic over there in your neck of the ocean...

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Well here it is truly a first take, on Hungry like a Wolf...for some reason when the video goes I always screw up a bunch, right before this I played it 2x pretty flawless...oh well...enjoy!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yNQziRXzo

i want some mac and cheese too! that was great glass! very cute daughter! thanks!

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 08:51 AM

that was really nice matt! glad to see you again!

myrnaukelele
06-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Great one UncleElvis! I liked the dance action in the background :-)

myrnaukelele
06-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Oh this is a beautiful song Matt. It made me cry. I hope all dogs go to heaven too. Here is a song I wrote for my beloved dog Gypsy:

http://youtu.be/C-gidaepeAQ

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
our current playlist, also some bonus songs as well!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C78FBDE8F0ED6E2&feature=plcp

y'all are making some great music out there! thanks!!

MattLindahl
06-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Oh this is a beautiful song Matt. It made me cry. I hope all dogs go to heaven too. Here is a song I wrote for my beloved dog Gypsy:

http://youtu.be/C-gidaepeAQ

Aw geez~ now I'm tearing up...
Can't believe I missed you at UWC~ next year?

mattydee
06-15-2012, 09:43 AM
I can't believe I was the first with this song. Phew!

http://youtu.be/VJqF1mJI7gE

Nice work everybody. This one take thing is a bit of a revelation. Wow!

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 10:13 AM

http://youtu.be/VJqF1mJI7gE

Nice work everybody. This one take thing is a bit of a revelation. Wow!

wow indeed! that was great matty! and Dexter did a great job too!

OldePhart
06-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Are you kidding? You and Ralph are probably the only ones who could get up there! :)

Great job.

OldePhart
06-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Don't tell anyone, but I'm working on it!Oooh...maybe it's time to replace my expired passport...

OldePhart
06-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Great song, Matt. Very touching. I think I've always liked dogs better than people...

ukuleledaddy
06-15-2012, 03:32 PM
WOW! 29Moons, MattLindahl & UncleElvis all back this week! Ah it's like the good old days. Welcome back. Wonderful videos one and all!

Jetpack Superheroes
06-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Jetpack Superheroes entry for 17th season of the ukulele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwa1MjbGB8&feature=plcp

cinderellalifestyle
06-15-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm always in a hurry:-)...the camera has a curved bottom, and no mount for a tripod..so it was perched inside a wound up belt, atop a pile of laundry, ....err ...
I think the camera shifted....one take, is one take, after all:)
thanks fer watchin'
(ps orig song based on true story. See more info at YT. )

http://youtu.be/m-cZhR3ifME

TCK
06-15-2012, 07:53 PM
This is making me weep it is so G*& D$%@ good...thanks for this video, Would give my eye teeth to drink all night and play with you lot.

TCK
06-15-2012, 07:56 PM
WOW! Straight outta nowhere...I know a lot of Rockabillies who'd pay good money to hear you play your little tune about Whitey. Great stuff here!

I'm always in a hurry:-)...the camera has a curved bottom, and no mount for a tripod..so it was perched inside a wound up belt, atop a pile of laundry, ....err ...
thanks fer watchin'

peewee
06-15-2012, 08:05 PM
thanks fer watchin'

Very Cool, and bold - a contest entry on your 3rd post!
Great stuff and welcome to UU and welcome to the seasons, I hope we hear that voice of yours some more!

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 08:42 PM

jetpack ! you are my heroes! great entry! or entries! tiger tiger! thanks for joining in!! hope to see y'all in future seasons!

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 08:46 PM
thanks fer watchin'

wow! gritty and real! loved it! and pearls! where have you been cinderella!!?? great,...i mean..great voice!!

thesillydave
06-15-2012, 09:02 PM
i am wow'ed...no, bowled over...no, flabbergasted by the entries this week! so far we have 23 songs, and 3 bonus ones as well for this weeks contest!
we have added at least 4 new seasonists to our roster and they have shown some major stuff!
christian, you have started something here...thanks for all the contestants and all the players,
throughout the seasons...play it forward! makes us better ukers...thanks y'all!
current playlist...
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C78FBDE8F0ED6E2&feature=plcp

2 more days!