New Uke day...MyaMoe Dreaming....

Tack

Reaction score
Seems to have been a rash of these :D

So the nice UPS man brought me a box yesterday....
7353170240_b50a185194.jpg

Turned up a few day ahead of schedule too!

Inside...
7353172128_829d889a61.jpg

Inside.....

7353189778_3735e015f1.jpg

There was an amazingly evocative smell of lemon scented wood oil.....
To be continued......

Last edited:
Aloha Tack,
Congratulations...that is one serious lovely ukulele with awesome koa curl...wow I am afraid to ask how many coconuts.. happy strummings

Congratulations! What a beauty...

Soooo... the new Uke:

A mya Moe Concert Classic in master grade Koa with bloodwood binding and abalone purfling/rosette. (Details in my signature link)

The process was a pleasure.

I initially contacted Gordon and Char around November last year.
I am a concert type of person so that part was easy. SOMEHOW Char was able to translate my request for "master Koa with almost holographic curl running horizontally and in a burnt honey colour"... what was I thinking! What had I been smoking....??

Char found several examples of previous builds in the gallery and over the course of several emails we selected the wood; refined the orientation (I'm not a big fan of heart wood) and made a decision. The bloodwood binding was my request as was the abalone... Also put the KK twin spot in it. Must admit that I had difficulty resolving the raw wood with the potential final appearance but Char was confident - and I was confident in Char..

So how do you think Char went? From my point of view she captured my wishes perfectly!

Several emails followed over the following months as Gordon confirmed my list of wants/wishes and then .. they built it...

As I mentioned above, the smell of this instrument is amazing :drool:
BUT - onto other relevancies.

Firstly it is WARM to the touch! Almost all the Ukes I have owned or played are Varnished.. and initially cool. This one is warm light and begs to be cradled :)

The Action is slightly lower than my other Ukes and - as they say - it plays like butter... This is my first KOA uke and I love the tone (which is why I selected it!). It needs to open up some more and I am looking forward to listening to it evolve.

Interestingly, I find moving up and down the neck amazingly smooth compared to my other ukes... I have no idea if that is secondary to the smooth oiled finish rather than varnish, or to Gordon's beautifully hand shaped work or a combination.

Intonation seems spot on; not a buzz to be heard, no rattles, squeaks or hums ;)

Yes... I am happy -
I'll post some sound files or something in a little while....

Thanks Gordon, Char, Aaron and any of the magic elves that help you. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Ohhh, how beautiful! Congratulations on your new uke.

Thank you :)
Wow, that is a stunning ukulele.

I think so! They do great work. MOST importantly - it sounds gorgeous :D

Aloha Tack,
Congratulations...that is one serious lovely ukulele with awesome koa curl...wow I am afraid to ask how many coconuts.. happy strummings

Thanks Stan - a (ahem) 21st birthday present to myself so I was happy to raid a few coconut plantations...;)

Congratulations! What a beauty...

:smileybounce:

Char found several examples of previous builds in the gallery and over the course of several emails we selected the wood; refined the orientation (I'm not a big fan of heart wood) and made a decision. The bloodwood binding was my request as was the abalone... Also put the KK twin spot in it. Must admit that I had difficulty resolving the raw wood with the potential final appearance but Char was confident - and I was confident in Char..

So how do you think Char went? From my point of view she captured my wishes perfectly!

Char was very patient with me when selecting wood and a pleasure to work with. Now I just have to wait until November to get my first Mya-Moe. In the meantime I will just :drool: over yours!

Awesome looking uke and from my experience of playing two mya moes on a regular basis, I'm sure it's just a pleasure to play.

That is beautiful! Can't wait to hear how she sounds. Congratulations!

mmm yummy...pass me another Tim Tam please brother

Hey mate !
You DO realise you were the one who influenced me the most in getting a MM? Forget all the bling - the tone you so clearly demonstrated from your Mya Moes was superlative and your advocacy of them compelling! (wtf - I'm starting to sound like the Hansard!) :)
So I guess it is a big thank you to you too! :bowdown:

WOW!!! That's the most beautiful Mya Moe I've seen yet. You're a lucky man!!

Happy 21st Birthday Greetings Tack.. and what an awesome present.. holy moly.. Hauoli La Hanau in hawaiian.....

psssst Stan - actually more like 21 x 2.38..... but who's counting right?? :D Still a birthday present though!

It actually looks a bit like a Moore Bettah. Which is something. On many levels.

Obviously less bling and little bits of eye candy, but it has that ripply, golden sheen.

I agree with consitter - this is the nicest Mya Moe I've seen in quite some time. I actually noticed it in the shop tracker and kept an eye on it as it progressed. Congrats and enjoy :)

It's a beauty, Tack.
Yes, I'll say it -- I'm lusting after your.........

Nope, can't type it. But you know the ending......

I blush.

It is lovely.

Top Bottom