Long scale lengths question

Oshwega

Reaction score
Would someone with a "long scale" instrument measure their instrument and provide me with the scale length?
I heard an interview of Casey Kamaka in which he described, briefly, the Kamaka factory's reviving of the long scale on several instruments, generally increasing the scale length by about two inches, plus other modifications to the body to handle the increased tension.
I have done several internet searches about the ukulele long scale, but have not come across anything more than the above information from Kamaka.
I'm looking to build some comparison ukes, similar woods,
different scales, flat top vs. domed top, and likely other comparisons as I build. Having the "accepted" long scale lengths to build with would be a good starting point.
Thanks!

Long scale typically refers to a concert scale length on a soprano body. So following that analogy, you will have a scale length generally between 14 3/4" to 15" (concert) on a soprano body that would usually be around the 13 1/2" to 13 3/4". Locally these are called a "Super Soprano". Don't know what they are called elsewhere.

Same goes for the tenor scale length on a concert body. 17" instead of 15".

You will want to pay attention to where this is going to put the bridge in relation to the sound hole and its position on the lower bout. Modifying the instrument to a 14 fret to body instead of 12 can work in your favour. Always best to put pencil to paper to see what you are up against.

Thanks, Allen, for the reply. I am aware of the need to adjust the bridge position according the to the change in scale length. Ideally, the bridge will be at or close to the centerpoint between the soundhole and the bottom of the lower bout. Having the information on the "standard" scale change helps. I can then start to figure how to balance the ideal bridge position with a workable scale length close to the "standard" long neck.
Sometimes I think if I had any sense, I would have been an accountant. Things would have been more cut and dried. But that lasts only a short time. This is too much fun!
Anyone have any information on how far we can wander off the standard scale lengths on these ukuleles before the musicians start to use impolite language?
Back to the drawing board now that I have more information.

Hello, I have a William King custom long scale Tenor. The key measurement is the distance between the nut and saddle (the length of the strings) and the bridge placement is key.
When I got mine from the original owner, I soon realized the intonation was off. It was off so much that I thought I might have to move the bridge which would be a massive undertaking on a finished instrument but luckily a master luthier lives near me and we adjusted the nut and the saddle and thus it plays now without being sharp all the time. My distance from nut to saddle is now about 17 3/4", just a bit shy but it should be 17 3/4" for the scale of this sized tenor instrument (using various calculations) which will be different of course for the specific size your wanting. This is the distance from where the string just leaves he nut and just touches the saddle because where the string vibrates is where all the issues come up. There are specific mathematical formulas I don't have for you unfortunately that my luthier was showing me but it was like being back in geometry class and I hated math ;-) My instrument is 28 inches from tip to tip and 9 3/4" wide at it's widest at the lower bout. It's a grand mahogany tenor for sure and sounds fantastic.

It's critical that the bridge placement not only be correct on the body but that the nut and saddle are installed so the string distance is correct. Thus, there are a variety of factors and measurements that have to be considered and if your getting a long scale especially be concerned about the intonation and check it on every fret.
Good luck.

Top Bottom