Flea or Fluke ukulele

Markr1

Reaction score
I was going to buy a flea or fluke uke from FMM but have since changed my mind. I don't want nor will i have a plastic fretboard. When I do the add ons, gigbag,rosewood fretboard, tenor size, no pickup, shipping it comes to about $400. That's just a little to much to pay for that uke. The price looks really good initially until you start adding on the extras and all of a sudden your paying $150 more then what it is advertised as. That really turned me off. I do want one so I guess I'll start watching eBay and hopefully find a better deal on one. I have nothing against FMM just didn't like the markup after add ons. If I'm getting what is supposed to be a cheap bang around uke then I'm not going to pay that much for it. If I don't find a cheaper one then that then I guess I'll just never have one. I dont mean any disrespect this is just completely my opinion on it.

Totally agree Mark. I had a flea and gave it away, now everytime I get interested about purchasing another, it's the same feeling...baseline price is great but if you want the wooden fretboard and pegheds the original figure gets blown out of the water. My advice? keep watching FMM marketplace and the marketplace here, they do come up from time to time and at pretty reasonable prices sometimes. Thing is they are wonderful sounding ukes, they really are, and as sturdy as they come. All the best on your hunt brother. :)

Thanks Jon for the vote of confidence. That was something else I was going to add to the thread was if anyone had a used tenor with the rosewood fretboard and bag for sale at a decent price I would love to buy it. I saw where one sold a little while back that fit my description of what I want on UU for $250. That price is more of what I would expect. Thanks again Jon.
Totally agree Mark. I had a flea and gave it away, now everytime I get interested about purchasing another, it's the same feeling...baseline price is great but if you want the wooden fretboard and pegheds the original figure gets blown out of the water. My advice? keep watching FMM marketplace and the marketplace here, they do come up from time to time and at pretty reasonable prices sometimes. Thing is they are wonderful sounding ukes, they really are, and as sturdy as they come. All the best on your hunt brother. :)

I was lucky - I live about 70 miles away from Magic Fluke, and went for a visit.

They had several factory seconds in the shop, Flea and Fluke, and i played them all, over and over (As well as two Firefly prototypes, which I offered to buy on the spot!).

I kept coming back to one Tenor Fluke - laminated mahogany soundboard, rosewood fingerboard, pegheds, and the older style b-band pickup.

With the hard case and tax, I think I paid $405.

And I have found it worth every penny. That said, Your Mileage May Vary - I would not have bought this instrument, if I hadn't played it for almost an hour first.

While distinctive, I didn't buy the Fluke because it is prety. I bought it because it sounds good, and is comfortable to play.

-Kurt​

Last night I was bidding on a mint tenor tiki king surf fluke with all the extras including pickup and my high bid was $330 with shipping at $17. I couldn't believe it in the last seconds it got hit on and ended up going for $406 plus the shipping. Even if i had known before that it was going to go for that there was no way i would have bid that high. I was blown away and just knew I was going to get it at my high bid. Oh well I'll keep watching for one I guess and maybe one will eventually show up at what I feel is a fair price.

I have a tenor Fluke with an undersaddle pickup and a rosewood fretboard, and I don't regret a single dime I spent on it.

I'm sure I would like one if I had it I just think they are overpriced. I dont want a molded fretboard and feel they all should come with wood and gig bag at the starting price. I just feel they are overpriced after you add the extras. I just recently bought a used mint Kanilea super concert deluxe with beautiful curly Koa for a little less then $300 dollars more then what the Flukes with add ones are going for so yes I definitely feel they are overpriced. I'm sure eventually I'll find one at what I feel is a decent price.
I have a tenor Fluke with an undersaddle pickup and a rosewood fretboard, and I don't regret a single dime I spent on it.

I've had one with all the bells and whistles in my shopping cart several times but I also have a hard time pulling the trigger, for the same reasons.

Thank you Freeda, I thought it was me. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I've done the same thing on 2 different occasions in the past 2 days I get it in my cart and see the final price and think to myself wait a minute this just doesn't seem right and I back out.
I've had one with all the bells and whistles in my shopping cart several times but I also have a hard time pulling the trigger, for the same reasons.

I know you want to support them because of the other thread but there's many ukes you can get in the $400 range.

Your 100% right Daniel. I would like to support them but not at what the final price turns out to be when i feel the adds should be included in what the opening price is. I could live without the pickup but not the rosewood fretboard and the bag not being included.
I know you want to support them because of the other thread but there's many ukes you can get in the $400 range.

Thank you Freeda, I thought it was me. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I've done the same thing on 2 different occasions in the past 2 days I get it in my cart and see the final price and think to myself wait a minute this just doesn't seem right and I back out.

I feel the same... Would love one for camping and outdoor use, but the price seems dear.

I've had one with the plastic fretboard for 6 years, that cost about $220 brand new with the gig bag. No problems.

I've considered buying one with the rosewood fretboard (so I could use a wound low G) and a pickup. The price doesn't bother me so much as trying to limit my total number of ukes. I'm a couple hours drive from there. I'd rather drive to their store and spend that money on an instrument that I know will have good intonation, rather than spend the money on shipping costs for a different brand and then have to worry about the setup.

I own both. (and their banjo) both flea and fluke have plastic fretboards - nothing wrong with them, they work flawlessly. Peghed tuners are lovely, but the stock frictions on fleas and flukes are also just fine. They are Grovers and they work too,

I know they are 'expensive' but I put that in quotes - expensive compared to what? Something put together where makers are paid tuppence a day, and are shipped out with zero setup, and have no after sales service,

Flukes are USA made, sustainable materials, made by people who care and never seen one that needed setup.

Depends what you want to spend your clams on - for me, fleas and flukes are no Brainers. Buy one and you know you are getting a well made, great sounding loud instrument.

I love my Fluke ... with plastic fretboard. Nothing wrong with them and intonation is spot on. Playability and sound/tone is superb. Great take it anywhere uke!

I've tested a growing number of ukuleles over the last year and a half.
I still keep going back to my soprano flea, natural color, plastic fretboard, Aquila stings, friction tuners.
The only option I got was the hard case - totally worth it since it's logged thousands of air miles with me.
It is by far the easiest ukulele I have ever played, bar none (so far).
I do have the wood fretboard on my fluke, aesthetics aside - I prefer the plastic on the flea.
This dangling FMM conversation reminds me of the present US debate on abortion.
If you think it's wrong... then don't get one!

I've tested a growing number of ukuleles over the last year and a half.
I still keep going back to my soprano flea, natural color, plastic fretboard, Aquila stings, friction tuners.
The only option I got was the hard case - totally worth it since it's logged thousands of air miles with me.
It is by far the easiest ukulele I have ever played, bar none (so far).
I do have the wood fretboard on my fluke, aesthetics aside - I prefer the plastic on the flea.
This dangling FMM conversation reminds me of the present US debate on abortion.

Friend, you have made me feel like I need to buy a flea or fluke. What do you say to me: The fluke concert will have more volume than the flea soprano? (I plan to buy one of two with plastic fretboard)

I'm sure I would like one if I had it I just think they are overpriced. I dont want a molded fretboard and feel they all should come with wood and gig bag at the starting price. I just feel they are overpriced after you add the extras.

I feel that even the basic instrument is overpriced. I know they have a reputation for indestructability and for overall quality of finish and I have seriously considered getting one to keep in the car, but at the price they are asking, I just can't bring myself to pay that money. I would not be looking for extras, just the basic with the plastic fretboard will be fine for me.

...This dangling FMM conversation reminds me of the present US debate on abortion.

Can't say fairer than that.

Hey Mark. I had both a concert Fuke and Flea with the rosewood fretboards that I sold when I decided to go with all tenor scales. I replaced them with a tenor flea and fluke, but went with the plastic fretboards and have never regretted it. I have a non wound low G on the fluke. I can take them to the beach or camping and don't worry at all about them. I did go with the pegheads though.

I love my Flukes: I have the koa top with a rosewood board, but before that I had a mango Fluke with the plastic fretboard. It was my beach baby and quick go-to uke... alas I sold it last year when I wanted another uke. I would take a plastic fretboard Fluke uke over the Kala thinline travel uke (which I have). I have the Firefly banjo uke... and I love to play that little critter (with its plastic fretboard). YMMV... :cool:

Top Bottom