Can I?

Nickie

Reaction score
Can I add a decorative rosette to my otherwise dull looking Kala without sacrificing sound?

Hi Nickie.

Are you talking decal or inlay? I would think either would be OK but doing an inlay after factory might be tough to do.

Uhhh, is this about setting a newbie luthier up for a disaster?

Stickers, decals, or overlays only. Don't try to inlay anything in an existing instrument top.

Unless you want to learn how to re-top an instrument...

Uhhh, is this about setting a newbie luthier up for a disaster?

Stickers, decals, or overlays only. Don't try to inlay anything in an existing instrument top.

Unless you want to learn how to re-top an instrument...

It'll make for an interesting thread Rick....the re-topping by a beginning luthier that is.:agree:

Rosette stickers won't affect the sound.

Hi Nickie.

Are you talking decal or inlay? I would think either would be OK but doing an inlay after factory might be tough to do.

I'd rather do inlay. It's not a high end uke, but it's good enough that I don't want to cheapen it. Of course, I don't want to wreck it, either. Thanks for your replies, I'll certainly look at these, Eugene, and take all of this into consideration.

Last edited:
Another possiblity is to get someone to laser your pattern into the top and you cut out the inlay and place. ( The person with the laser needs to be very familar with the use of a laser..... very easy to burn through but it is not impossible to do this and not even effect the finish. Collins Guitars actually cuts the F holes for there mandolin after the instrument is finished ) Find a reputable laser person if you decide to try this.

Blessings,

Kevin

I'd rather do inlay. It's not a high end uke, but it's good enough that I don't want to cheapen it. Of course, I don't want to wreck it, either.
No offense, but more likely you'd wreck it if you tried yourself. Having it done professionally might be cost prohibitive in relation to the value of the uke.

Personally, I wouldn't try it. But I've seen some of those decal/sticker ones that actually look quite nice and you'd never notice unless they weren't "real" rosettes unless you were right on top of them. :)

If you just want a rosette, use the decals, they are really a pretty nice effect if carefully applied. I have black and silver geckos on my Kanil'ea. I love geckos! I had a house gecko I named Art, (Art Gecko). He was very cool. :cool:

here's one of the decals I used on my cheap baritone Nickie, from that same link I posted before. Like itsme said, they look reasonably authentic and worth the few bucks with no hassle.

DSCF0944.jpgDSCF0949.jpg

he he Teek...Art Gecko...such a cool name :)

I'd rather do inlay. It's not a high end uke, but it's good enough that I don't want to cheapen it. Of course, I don't want to wreck it, either. Thanks for your replies, I'll certainly look at these, Eugene, and take all of this into consideration.

You posted on the luthier's lounge for a reason. . . I'd go with the pro's and start researching the stickers/decals/overlays that suit your style.

If you are careful, you can do it. I did this once and it's not that difficult using the method described on StewMac website.
I messed up my rosette channel when I use a trimming router to route the rosette channel, I overran a few place by a little bit, so it's not really round !!!
The StewMac method comes to my rescue, just use an exacto knife and manually work this out.

Top Bottom