Once in a lifetime opportunity - dilemma (and a bit of a ramble, sorry)

Ben_H

Reaction score
So here I am, only 5 weeks into my ukulele career, already looking to get a better quality, "stay at home" ukulele to compliment my travelling Makala Dolphin.

Having sat in a few music shops for several hours I know I want another soprano, the bigger instruments just don't do it for me. I'd narrowed my options down based on quality and price to a Bruko No6 or mainland red cedar soprano from youtube reviews and was just looking to see what budget I could realistically work to but...

I have just discovered I am getting a bit of money from a recently deceased relative which changes the game completely. I'm unlikely to have a similar chunk of disposable income until the children have grown up and graduated (another 20 years at least) and want to get something "nice" to remember this person by.

The dilemma is that this has come so early in my ukulele career. I'm completely green and reliant on many web reviews and useful blogs. I also cannot see myself become a collector of a wide range of ukes so I want to get this one right as it's going to be with me a long time.

Despite this windfall I cannot afford to travel widely around the UK sampling many delightful ukes till I find my special one. I want a soprano that will do it all, strum, pick, accompany my singing and hold it's own in a group situation. Having come to a short list I now find that it have been completely blown open again and I now have an enormous amount of options to choose from.

So, should I keep to my original plans and get that Bruko or mainland and keep a large chunk of cash back until I am much more experienced? (Yeah right, how likely is that going to be?) Or, has someone got a better suggestion? Are there any big uke get togethers in the UK where I could sample lots of different ukes in one go.

I'm not talking silly money here as my playing will never do justice to super Uke but there seem to be far more options once you hit the £300-400 mark. At this price point I think it becomes cost effective to order from abroad and still be able to absorb the import charges within the budget.

So much choice!

Last edited:
Hide the money. Play lots of ukes for a couple years (K brands too) and keep notes on what you like. Put you name on Chuck Moores waiting list and when your ready send him your list.

Your likes and dis-likes will change with time. Mine has changed radically in the last 5 years.

Whoops, just re-read your post. No idea how much money your speaking of.....silly money is relative. But, a Chuck Moore uke is as personal as it gets.

Last edited:
I guess for me at the moment silly money starts above £400 sterling and before this windfall I was trying to keep well below £200 including case and delivery so the Red cedar mainland was pushing it somewhat. this is mainly down to having kids and a few years ago I would probably have happily doubled the budget without blinking.

I could put a chunk of money into and 3+ year fixed rate bond and look again further down the line. If it went custom then I do like the look of Pete Howlett's stuff but they are definitely on the lower end of my silly money scale but would get something very personal.

What a wonderful position to be in!

I think that it's unlikely that you will find the uke that's your 'keeper' without trying a wide range of instruments. My advice would be to buy an instrument that will hold its value so if you do find yourself hankering for something new, at least you can get a good price for the outgoing instrument.

I started with a Vintage Soprano (which I've still got), moved on to a Mainland Gloss Mahogany Concert (which I've still got) and bought a second hand Hamano Tenor (which funnily enough I've still got). However, logic tells me that the Mainland should go as it hasn't been played once since I got the Hamano. Now the Mainland is a glorious instrument and I loved playing it till I got the Hamano (I was going for the full set of sizes), but somehow the Hamano just 'fits' me right and its become my 'go -to' instrument.

What I'm trying to say is that as your playing improves and you meet more players you will be exposed to more and more choices of instruments and musical styles - all of which will influence your choice of instrument.

To summarise my first choice would be to go for a quality second hand instrument if you can find one - a K brand, a Martin S1 etc. The person who bought it new will have taken the initial depreciation and the chances are that from there on in the uke will hold it's price, and possibly, over the years, even increase in value.
If you can't find a good second hand instrument ( I was so lucky to find the Hamano!), then go for an instrument that has been well reviewed on these forums - as you've already discovered, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

www.theukeshed.com

An enviable position to be in. :)

I'll be curious to see what you end up with!

Last edited:
I was going to suggest Al the ukes already suggested. Koaloha, a Moore bettah, or a Pete Howlet.

I really want to say "Buy the one I like." But, I really think you should get the Bruko and save the money until you know more. The Bruko will be an amazing step up for you. Once you have a better handle on what you want for a long-term, high-quality instrument, make your move and pay your tribute. (You may end up staying with the Bruko)

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Without wishing to sound like I'm stalking him I've found "Got a Ukulele", BazMaz's blog very useful as a complete newbie. It was partly through his bruko and mainland reviews that I had selected them as potential next instruments in the first place. I also read his koaloha review last night after my good news and went straight to musique 83 to have a look as it sounds lovely.

I actually think I will get a bruko as a next move. One of the members of the group I've just joined has one that he doesn't like the sound of and therefore doesn't appear to play much. I'm going to ask him to bring it along next week to have a play and then we'll see what happens. I do understand that indivual instruments will all sound different but the vid clips of the bruko no6 from BazMaz, Ken Middleton and UkuleleDaveey to name just three were definitely a sound I would be happy with and as you say, a progression from the dolphin.

I've also just discovered my Mum still has my old clarinet in her loft. Maybe selling that could fund the Bruko :)

Cheers

Ben

Congratulations on your windfall!

My opinion (which is worth a paper clip) is that you should set the windfall aside for a bit and buy the Bruko or the Mainlaind red cedar now. (Reviews are good on both, though on this US forum, there are many more reviews of Mainland.) Play and play and get better.

At the same time, read reviews, watch Youtube videos, and play others' ukes when you get the chance. In this way your knowledge and preferences will mature (e.g, koa or mahogany?). After a few months, start watching the Marketplace for a used high-dollar soprano. When one comes up you're interested in, you'll have better questions to ask about it and you'll know if it's a good deal.

Have you considered using a bit of the money to travel to a large uke store, where you can play many ukes?
You could also do a shout-out to other UK forum members to see if there are players near you.

I definitely would lean towards getting a K brand soprano if you can manage it. From what I've seen and heard, they are just unmatched when it comes to Sopranos. On the plus side, if you ever did decide that it just wasn't what did it for you, they retain their value incredibly well. The projection, sweetness of sound, and playability of the K's is just hard to match without getting a complete custom. So, my two cents and that is what I would do were I in your shoes. Enjoy!

Do you want something brand new? If you don't have to have new, I think a vintage Martin would be a great one to get. Find yourself a nice style 1 the 20-30's and you'll have an incredible instrument that can become a family heirloom.

Here is my 1932 style 2 Martin which I love for the sustain, rich and full sound. You can find a Style 1 for about 550-580 pounds. Many come up on Ebay for that price range and you can check the Craigslist too. There is a style 1 on Ebay right now in that price range. If you save a few of those payments, you can get a Style 2 but they are about double the price and continue to climb. Good luck with whatever you get. As long as it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

IMG_0992.jpguntitled-3465.jpguntitled-3467.jpguntitled-3468.jpg

Have you considered using a bit of the money to travel to a large uke store, where you can play many ukes?
You could also do a shout-out to other UK forum members to see if there are players near you.

I'm attemtpting to organise a long weekend in Dorset with the family so that I can visit the Southern Ukulele Store nr Bournemouth. Strangely they have more to tempt me in my new price range than they did in the old. :)

I'm attemtpting to organise a long weekend in Dorset with the family so that I can visit the Southern Ukulele Store nr Bournemouth. Strangely they have more to tempt me in my new price range than they did in the old. :)

That sounds like a great plan!

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Without wishing to sound like I'm stalking him I've found "Got a Ukulele", BazMaz's blog very useful as a complete newbie. It was partly through his bruko and mainland reviews that I had selected them as potential next instruments in the first place. I also read his koaloha review last night after my good news and went straight to musique 83 to have a look as it sounds lovely.

I actually think I will get a bruko as a next move. One of the members of the group I've just joined has one that he doesn't like the sound of and therefore doesn't appear to play much. I'm going to ask him to bring it along next week to have a play and then we'll see what happens. I do understand that indivual instruments will all sound different but the vid clips of the bruko no6 from BazMaz, Ken Middleton and UkuleleDaveey to name just three were definitely a sound I would be happy with and as you say, a progression from the dolphin.

I've also just discovered my Mum still has my old clarinet in her loft. Maybe selling that could fund the Bruko :)

Cheers

Ben
You wrote...""One of the members has one he doesn't play much because he doesn't like the sound.""......IF You like the sound perhaps he may be willing to part with it and his loss could be your gain. Then in one year you will have more experience and you will be better able to spend your windfall. You may be pleasantly surprised with his uke however. That is why there are so many flavours of ice cream. HaHa!! Take your time and Good Luck in your decisions.

I'd go to the uke store and play and handle a bunch. Be aware of the setup on each uke by looking at how high the action is, as setup makes a uke feel a lot smoother. Take note of what feels best to hold and fret and strum, how it sounds, etc. and write down the models. If you aren't charmed silly by something then don't buy. If you are charmed, you have the option of buying then or looking around for the same make and model used, especially if you find one that's a good chunk higher in price, you might get a used one for the price of a lower end new model. If the uke you acquire is taken care of you will be able to resell it if you ever want to move up.

I do know from personal experience that with kids around, if you wait you need to really stash that cash, as kids are fond on sucking up any sudden surplus pretty quickly.

You don't have to buy a K brand, Kamakas especially can be uneven quality. I love Kamakas and have two, but they can vary. Just a thought, but I have never heard anything but good reviews on Timbuck's Martin replicas, he's a member here and makes lovely mahogany sopranos, and you are at least on the same island. If I wanted a Martin style soprano I personally would buy from him and would not consider buying a new Martin, they aren't all that terrific. You'll know when a uke speaks to you. Good luck!

Last edited:
All those saying "buy something more expensive" are projecting their ukulele lust onto someone with the dosh. K-brand ukuleles are just as factory made as Brükos and Mainlands. The only way "up" is to go custom.

Were I you, I'd stick with the plan -- the Brüko or the Mainland, or even both -- and practice until my fingers bled. After a while, when my ear had developed to the point that I could hear all the small failings of these more than adequate instruments, I'd go to a reputable luthier, and commission the ukulele of my dreams.

You wrote...""One of the members has one he doesn't play much because he doesn't like the sound.""......IF You like the sound perhaps he may be willing to part with it and his loss could be your gain. Then in one year you will have more experience and you will be better able to spend your windfall. You may be pleasantly surprised with his uke however. That is why there are so many flavours of ice cream. HaHa!! Take your time and Good Luck in your decisions.

Not saying anything ;)

I had the opportunity to play a new Martin priced at £430 at the weekend and though it sounded nice I didn't bond with it. The C string in particular had a lot of boom and sustain to it and didn't balance with the rest of the instrument. That said I had to tune it and no idea how often it gets played in the shop.

Hi Ben and welcome to the forums mate!

with that much cash it's a tough choice if you're not keen or able to play the field, so to speak. My first thought is that you can't go wrong with a bruko soprano. There is great consistency in tone across all their models...they have that nice spark and bark you want in a soprano, but good sustain and volume too. I wouldn't choose the #6 myself (though it is excellent too) but there are a number of other models you could look at...they build wonderful sounding all-maple sopranos (in my opinion they know how to use that wood better than any other luthier I've so far come across). Also, for less than 250 euros they will custom build you a soprano with exactly what you want. mahogany? Cherry? walnut? Spruce/mahogany etc you name it. I had them build me an all-walnut longneck sop and it cost me less than 350 including shipping to Aus. email Hubert Pfieffer and talk to him direct. He is helpful and pleasant.

Aside from that suggestion, I also like your other idea of the mainland. A good solid instrument at the price. Reality is there are a ton of different models in your budget range and without testing them all it's tough to choose. Stick with your instincts and enjoy the journey mate. Have a ball with whatever you decide on!!!

:cheers:

A second for Timbuck's Martin replicas. Very beautiful looking- Out of my price range, but one day... Well, sometime after I get myself a Koaloha pineapple longneck!

Also, if you still want a Brüko, you might want to consider getting a custom one. I've heard great things about the custom models, and one won't be as expensive as an all-from-scratch custom. I've heard prices for a Soprano are around double the cost of a #6 for a custom model, depending on what you'd like: http://brueko.de/en/custommade.html, plus he has a wide variety of tonewoods. Most people who ask about a custom usually get a call from him anyways to discuss their options.

Good luck!

Someone at our uke-meet up has a flat-body, rounded back, walnut uke (with pick-up) that is just obscene. There's a partial pic here: http://www.ukuleleberlin.com/www.marock.de/Stammtisch.html

Top Bottom