2005 Sunburst Mahogany Compass Rose tenor

rbeetsme

Reaction score
One of my longtime keepers, wonderful tone. Rick Turner built Compass Rose ukes rarely come up for sale. I find I'm playing my other tenor more because it has a pick-up, so maybe it's time to say goodbye to this rare beauty. Sweetest tone of all the ukes I've owned, currently strung high G Worth Browns. No issues, looks terrific, little sign of use, no abuse or repairs. Comes with Cortech semi-hard case. I could use the money to pay on my credit card so buy now before I figure out another way to pay down the card. Paypal only. Asking 900.00 delivered to lower 48.

CR 01.jpgCR 02.jpgCR 03.jpgCR 04.jpg

Pretty sweet & the price is certainly right. Won't last long, I suspect.

One of my longtime keepers, wonderful tone. Rick Turner built Compass Rose ukes rarely come up for sale. I find I'm playing my other tenor more because it has a pick-up, so maybe it's time to say goodbye to this rare beauty. Sweetest tone of all the ukes I've owned, currently strung high G Worth Browns. No issues, looks terrific, little sign of use, no abuse or repairs. Comes with Cortech semi-hard case. I could use the money to pay on my credit card so buy now before I figure out another way to pay down the card. Paypal only. Asking 900.00 delivered to lower 48.

View attachment 38832View attachment 38833View attachment 38834View attachment 38835

Are you the original owner? If so, when was this uke built? Do you have any video samples that you can post?

Mahalo

I bought it from the original owner about 5 years ago I think. He told me it was built for the 2005 NAAM show. No, I don't have any video.

I assume 1 and 3/8th nut width and non-radiused fingerboard, yes?

Are you the original owner? If so, when was this uke built? Do you have any video samples that you can post?

Mahalo

A well-aged Compass Rose coming out of Rick Turner's shop- I'd venture to say it sounds fantastic. No sound sample needed... Just YouTube Compass Rose and you'll find plenty of sound samples; not a dull one to be found. I have a satin mahogany CR tenor that I foolishly sold off, but was lucky to buy back. It's one of my best sounding ukes. This is at least $250 cheaper than brand new, but even more so with the sunburst finish, I bet. Great deal on a great uke.

Thanks, terrific looking and playing instrument. Not interesting in trades.

Eyeguy, yes and yes. BTW: the newer CR's now have a side port, this one does not.

Last edited:
Well, I sold a few other items and no longer see a need to offer this for adoption. It really is a terrific player with a sweet voice so it goes back on the wall. Thanks to all who inquired. BTW: I just sat down and played a few fast bluegrass tunes on the CR, what a great player. The fretboard is narrower than my other tenors and even my concert, a little easier to play those minor chords.

Last edited:
Put a pick up in it and then you have your best sounding uke with a pick up and will never need to sell it ;-)
Or get a nice condenser mic with a hyper-cartoid pattern and place it at the butt of the uke and you'll sound even better than a pickup.
Glad you got to keep it, great uke!

Actually spoke with Rick about a pick-up some time back. I currently have 2 4 string tenors, a Koa/Spruce tuned low G and this CR mahogany tuned high G. Makes sense to keep both. Ever so I often I am stricken with a case of responsibility and end up selling something. But it soon passes! (I call it going Diesel!)

Ready to buy

If this is still available, I'd like to purchase it. I have been looking for a CR for at least 2 years or so... missed the one that came up on eBay a few months ago. Can pay via PayPal or whatever your preferred method of payment is.

Going to send you a PM as well...

Thanks and best wishes!

View attachment 38832View attachment 38833View attachment 38834View attachment 38835

Classy looking uke Rick. Very nice.

@BlueKnight
Put a pick up in it and then you have your best sounding uke with a pick up and will never need to sell it ;-)
Or get a nice condenser mic with a hyper-cartoid pattern and place it at the butt of the uke and you'll sound even better than a pickup.
Glad you got to keep it, great uke!

Is this like a pick-up or is it a mic?

Apologies for the hi-jack

More CRs on their way through build going to Gryphon and Sylvan. Might try Elderly or Blue Guitar. We're keeping the dealer network very small as we can barely supply who we have.

I'm still on the fence about keeping this, if anyone is interested, let me know.

Great looking sunburst CR... Great price!!! Great uke!!!

More CRs on their way through build going to Gryphon and Sylvan. Might try Elderly or Blue Guitar. We're keeping the dealer network very small as we can barely supply who we have.

Geez. I already had to declare Gryphon Stringed Instruments as a dependent on my 2011 income tax return, and now this!

Top Bottom