PDA

View Full Version : Stinky toxic uke cases

callmemario
06-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I am TRYING to find some good looking ukulele hardshell cases for a few of my ukes, BUT all the nice looking ones like Kala's "Uke Crazy" tweed/or balck vinyl covered cases and Fremont's rectangular cases all seem to be put together with the same strong smelling seemingly toxic imgredients that simply will not go away!. I bought a Kala tenor case and had to leave it open out for 3 full days in the sun. That did not work, so I put 3 small containers of baking soda inside my case for 3 days. Did not work. So I tried filling the cases with aromatic natural cedar wood chips, improved somewhat but still emanated that horrible chemical stench. Finally returned it to the store. Throughout the years, I've had the opportunity to buy various instrument cases in my lifetime and never had this problem before. A new case always smells a bit, but it most usually is a pleasant smell/odor, not one that you want to make a back flip to! ;-) The general idea is for the case to take on the smell like the nice natural wood odor of my ukulele and not the opposite! I don't believe the bad smell can be removed and spraying the inside with Febreeze is NOT an alternative as there can be more chemical reactions that could interact with the varnish of the instrument.

Can anyone out there tell me where I may buy good harshell tenor, soprano uke cases that don't stink? Looking for suggestions!!

Just wondering, how many of you have experimented the same thing and what you ended up replacing it with?

Thanks

Loz
06-10-2012, 10:46 AM
My Ko'olau case doesn't really smell like anything - purely neutral. Its also very well constructed.

You can buy them from Hawaii Music Supply, they're branded under the Oahu label (look in the accessories section of their site).

callmemario
06-10-2012, 10:52 AM
My Ko'olau case doesn't really smell like anything - purely neutral. Its also very well constructed.

Wow! now THAT is refreshing to hear?!. I'll check them out.
Thanks!

specialk13
06-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The Ameritage cases have a more pleasant smell and they are extremely well built (just expensive).

callmemario
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
The Ameritage cases have a more pleasant smell and they are extremely well built (just expensive).

Another great suggestion. Thanks! I'll look'em up for sure. :-)

ramone
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I had a bass case that had a rather strong unpleasant odor. neither baking soda or febreeze made a difference. I left it open on the deck for several days to let the sun and air work on it. no more smell and I'm a happy camper.

callmemario
06-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I had a bass case that had a rather strong unpleasant odor. neither baking soda or febreeze made a difference. I left it open on the deck for several days to let the sun and air work on it. no more smell and I'm a happy camper.

WELL...you were lucky, it didn't work in my "case" (no pun intented!) ;-) Maybe the next time I'll let it air out in the sun for a week! ;-)

webby
06-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm waiting on a custom case, the actual hard shell itself will be humpback rib, then I've gone for the kangeroo scrotum leather ! Hand stitched with wombats whiskers and died purple using pigment from crushed butterfly wings.

The interior felt will be arctic white baby seal with a hand carved platypus beak used for extra protection around the headstock and woven strap made of the twisted tail skins of 15 goannas will wrap around and secure the neck., buckles and fasteners will be turtle naturally with carved and buffed crocodile teeth clasps secured with special rivets made from shards of dolphin beak.

Before delivery the whole thing will be washed and cured in a solution of blue lotus water and baby rabbits tears.

It wasn't cheap but I'm hoping for a really organic feel and smell to it.

:) :) :)

callmemario
06-11-2012, 03:33 AM
ooooooK! Webby... Now THAT should be interesting! ;-)

ramone
06-11-2012, 06:41 AM
WELL...you were lucky, it didn't work in my "case" (no pun intented!) ;-) Maybe the next time I'll let it air out in the sun for a week! ;-)

it actually took about a week.

Skitzic
06-11-2012, 06:55 AM
It took about a week for the stink to burn out of a guitar case I bought once upon a time.

If the next one stinks I'd leave it out in the sun longer.

lambchop
06-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Can't tell you which case will not smell, but thanks for validating a real problem with these cases. They stink! And you are correct, it is a smell that does not go away for years (I know, because I have a case that still smells although not as much). The case for my new Kamaka, which is a wonderful case, does not seem to smell all that bad, outside of just new instrument smell, but I am not sure who makes them for Kala. Good luck with this.

OldePhart
06-11-2012, 12:35 PM
In uke cases I've been lucky - I've not had any of my cases stink but I did buy a used tenor in a gig bag and that gig bag was horrible. It still stunk after all the "tricks." It was so bad that after the uke was in it for a few days I had to let the uke air out for an hour or so before playing or the fumes rising from the uke woud make me nautious (and I'm not one with a queasy stomach, normally).

That gig bag is no longer in my house... :)

John

seneystretch
06-11-2012, 04:05 PM
I am TRYING to find some good looking ukulele hardshell cases

contact http://www.sprucetreemusic.com in Madison. They are/were selling cases that could double as jack stands without being too heavy. ~$70

I have a UkeCrazy case, it doesn't have any odor.

callmemario
06-12-2012, 05:14 AM
[QUOTE=lambchop;963447] thanks for validating a real problem with these cases. They stink! And you are correct, it is a smell that does not go away for years (I know, because I have a case that still smells although not as much). QUOTE]

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one noticing this problem. it's very sad indeed for companies such as Ukecrazy and Fremont cases (maybe one and the same comany) to go to such trouble as making REALLY GOOD LOOKING cases but using the wrong types of "chemicals" to keep it all together. I am now thinkin more in terms of getting semi hard shell case such as this Ukecrazy one.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html but I have to go and check it out first at my local music store. Since there's no plywood and glues involved other than sewing everything together and material, should be ok smell wise.

callmemario
06-12-2012, 05:19 AM
In uke cases I've been lucky - I've not had any of my cases stink but I did buy a used tenor in a gig bag and that gig bag was horrible. It still stunk after all the "tricks." It was so bad that after the uke was in it for a few days I had to let the uke air out for an hour or so before playing or the fumes rising from the uke woud make me nautious (and I'm not one with a queasy stomach, normally).

That gig bag is no longer in my house... :)

John

callmemario
06-12-2012, 05:23 AM
contact http://www.sprucetreemusic.com in Madison. They are/were selling cases that could double as jack stands without being too heavy. ~$70

I have a UkeCrazy case, it doesn't have any odor.
__________________________________________________ __

Thank you for the reference!.. It's good to know that not all Ukecrazy cases don't all have bad odors emanating from them. I guess it's just a BAD production batch where they ran out of their favorite and normal smelling glue...

wickedwahine11
06-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Even different cases among the same brand can be different. My blue Kamoa doesn't smell at all but the red one definitely does.

strumsilly
06-12-2012, 07:33 AM

You can buy them from Hawaii Music Supply, they're branded under the Oahu label (look in the accessories section of their site).
You have me smelling my cases, haha. loz is right, nice case and no smell, but my cheapie musician's friend cases don't smell much either.

Sporin
06-12-2012, 08:44 AM
I have one of these: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html No funky smells.

callmemario
06-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Well I've solved my problem! :) Just came back from my local music store and bought two of these Kala UKE CRAZY "Hard" Shell Case.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html

One for my Kiwaya Soprano and the other for my Kala Tenor and they are GREAT! :-) Ok, maybe not as good looking as those real hard shell cases in tweed and alligator imitation by Uke Crazy...but at least THEY DON'T STINK or emanate any "noticeable" toxic fumes! ;-) AND for half the price of one...I got TWO cases! :-) I'm a happy camper! ;-) I must say also, they are of a practical design.

BUT I would still like for Uke Crazy to FIX their problem...:rolleyes:

callmemario
06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I have one of these: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html No funky smells.

YES!!!! THIS is the one I bought also. Actually two! :D
You are absolutely right. No funky smell here! Finally, at long last! :-)

callmemario
06-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Even different cases among the same brand can be different. My blue Kamoa doesn't smell at all but the red one definitely does.

Unfortunately, you are right!. I guess it depends on the production line and availability of raw materials. ie: NON toxic glues. ;-)

blue_knight_usa
06-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Agree, my Ko'olau case also, no smell, and they are excellent cases which really protect the instrument. Worth the investment..

casetone2514
06-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I have one of these from Southern Ukulele Store. No smell
http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hardcasealigatorgreen2.jpg

frankiefirefox
06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.sutherlandtrading.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hardcasealigatorgreen2.jpg

That case is OUTSTANDING!!!!

franklin.habit
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM

And it has shoulder straps! I'm in love. Thank you for the link.

In keeping with the topic, I bought my first hard case a month ago (tweedy, red plush interior, brand unknown) and when the fellow at the music store opened it we both smiled and I said, "Hey! New car smell!"

Which probably means whatever I inhaled was carcinogenic and will kill me.

Rats.

blab
06-13-2012, 09:12 AM

I have one of these and it's my only toxic case. It even transfers to the uke.

SailingUke
06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a few "CrossRock" cases, very nicely made, light and no smell.

Nickie
06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
My Uke Crazy case has never smelled evil or nasty.

callmemario
06-13-2012, 04:55 PM

LUCKY!!!! I lOVE THAT CASE!! In fact these are all made for Kala by UKE CRAZY, they make a tweed version, a darker brown alligator imitation and your green crocodile or alligator. Mine was a TWEED and I just had to return it because of the stench!. The other cases all smleed really chemical.

callmemario
06-13-2012, 04:58 PM
I have one of these and it's my only toxic case. It even transfers to the uke.

SAD!!!.... well, in "my case?" ;-) I just could not put my Kiwaya in for that very reason. Sorry to hear that.

itsme
06-13-2012, 05:19 PM
I had bought a Lanikai polyfoam tenor case (which is supposed to be the same as the Kala "Uke Crazy" case).

It had an initial chemical smell when I opened it, but I propped it open for a few days and has been fine ever since. :)

callmemario
06-16-2012, 05:26 AM
itsme.

Yes, well I guess it's like I said, all cases do have a unique smell or odor to them, but there are just some odors that we can't live with or don't want our ukes to be contaminated with a permanent stinky smell. Yes, You are quite right, some instrument cases do "air out" after a few days...and then again, some never do.

guitharsis
06-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Got a UkeCrazy case with my new Kanile'a. Noticeable odor at first but aired out after a few days. Have two other UkeCrazy cases that didn't have any odor to begin with. The new Kamaka cases with the logo and arch top are quite nice and I didn't notice any odor with the one my concert came in. Also have two other Kamaka cases, no problem there either. What I did notice is that my new Kamaka 3A concert will not even fit in the older style concert Kamaka case! Kamaka changed their design some.

Doc_J
06-17-2012, 05:58 AM
My Moore Bettah came in a faux aligator Uke Crazy case. The case is very nice, with no smell, ever.

Usually I just get Musicians Gear or Oscar Schmidt cases, they work fine, also with no smell.

I did have an older embossed palmtree hard case which smelled like lemon oil, even after airing out for a month.
YMMV.

callmemario
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
My Moore Bettah came in a faux aligator Uke Crazy case. The case is very nice, with no smell, ever.

Usually I just get Musicians Gear or Oscar Schmidt cases, they work fine, also with no smell.

I did have an older embossed palmtree hard case which smelled like lemon oil, even after airing out for a month.
YMMV.
__________________________________________________ _______

So the conclusion is: It all depends on the batch of production. wether they changed something like the glue, along the production line for that specific batch. So I guess we can't generalize here.

wickedwahine11
10-27-2012, 01:39 PM
I have a few "CrossRock" cases, very nicely made, light and no smell.

I am dredging up an old thread here, but do you have the ABS or fiberglass cases by Crossrock?

Frank2304
11-14-2013, 06:26 PM
MY TGI ABS case is a great fit and functioning case but the glue used to hold the plush interior still smells very strong weeks after getting it and leaving it open inside and outside in the sun. I worry that the glue fumes are enough to damage the finish on my uke. Anyone ever hear about the fumes ever doing that?

Tonya
11-14-2013, 08:20 PM
I have the Crossrock 900--it was a real challenge to find in the tenor size (I didn't want the fiberglass model and I really like the 900's latches oodles better than those on the 800). I really like this case; it looks good, feels really sturdy and is lightweight.

but I've had it going on 3.5 months now and it still smells badly (that "toxic" smell like chemicals--not an organic stinky smell). I've done a fairly good amount of research on stinky-smelling cases online (the theory is that it's typically the glue used under the fluffy stuff to hold it in place) and I've tried almost all the remedies.

It still smells. Quite a bit.

It spent the entire summer outside on our shaded covered patio with the case open to the summer breezes. I've used various commercial de-stinkifiers and numerous boxes of baking soda. My goal was to eliminate the smell, not mask it. Frankly, I dearly love this case but I've never been brave enough to store my Moore Bettah in it at all--that ukulele smells *wonderful* the way Chuck made it and I don't want to risk having it absorb the bad smell. So the case sits, open and ready but empty. Every few days I sniff it but it's still stinky.

Bao
11-14-2013, 09:10 PM
So odd, my uke crazy case and Bruceweiart case didn't smell like anything.

Peterjens
11-14-2013, 09:25 PM
I prefer the Vintage Guardian cases (CG-044-US) for my sopranos. They have no odor.

coolkayaker1
11-15-2013, 04:19 AM
Another way to get a case to reeking: Humidify in the uke case, and, eventually it will smell like a junior high schooler's trombone spit valves.

Kevin B
11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
My Lanikai soprano is in a Stagg tweed case. My concert in a Guardian. Neither case has or had an odor. On the other hand on Banjo web sites I have read complaints about the smell of Guardian hard shell fiberglass cases having a terrible odor.

Sylvan
11-15-2013, 01:48 PM
This is a great thread. When shopping for a case, noone tells you that they come with a stinky smell. I've got a Lanikai hard bag. The stinky smell surprised me when I first got it. I aired it out for about 4 days and that took care of it. For my needs, I really like it.

Paul December
11-15-2013, 02:08 PM
My garage band back in high school was called "The Stinky Toxic Uke Cases".

coolkayaker1
11-15-2013, 04:06 PM
My garage band back in high school was called "The Stinky Toxic Uke Cases".

Oh, my God. I think I remember you guys! Your band opened for Molly Hatchet at the Cubby Bear in 1986.

stevepetergal
11-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Hey, you can actually buy very high quality American made cases!

http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/

PeteyHoudini
11-16-2013, 10:56 AM
I have bought 3 tenor Uke Crazy cases over the past year and a half and 1 new concert uke crazy for my recently bought new Martin 2k concert. 2 of 3 tenor cases smelled bad for months. The new concert case smells.

I also hate that "Uke Crazy" metal slug with a red logo on the case.

I also find their tenor cases to be very heavy.

Petey

fernandogardinali
11-18-2013, 01:26 AM
I guess that horrible smell is just glue. I bought a few custom cases over the years for odd shaped instruments and a strabge smell was ALWAYS present.

I think as soon as the manufacturers finish assembling a case they just close it and ship it to the distributors and stores. Since is stays closed for a while, the smell keeps brewing. The solution is easy: just leave it open in a well ventilated place (I did that on my apt's balcony).

I think using febreze or other chemical stuff will only last for a little while - it'll be like using deodorant when you're already with a B.O., one smell won't "cancel" the other, they will just mix and become something nastier.

callmemario
11-25-2013, 05:27 AM
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I tried everything...but NO results. I finally "solved the problem": I returned it to the store! ;-)