Stinky toxic uke cases

callmemario

Reaction score
I am TRYING to find some good looking ukulele hardshell cases for a few of my ukes, BUT all the nice looking ones like Kala's "Uke Crazy" tweed/or balck vinyl covered cases and Fremont's rectangular cases all seem to be put together with the same strong smelling seemingly toxic imgredients that simply will not go away!. I bought a Kala tenor case and had to leave it open out for 3 full days in the sun. That did not work, so I put 3 small containers of baking soda inside my case for 3 days. Did not work. So I tried filling the cases with aromatic natural cedar wood chips, improved somewhat but still emanated that horrible chemical stench. Finally returned it to the store. Throughout the years, I've had the opportunity to buy various instrument cases in my lifetime and never had this problem before. A new case always smells a bit, but it most usually is a pleasant smell/odor, not one that you want to make a back flip to! ;-) The general idea is for the case to take on the smell like the nice natural wood odor of my ukulele and not the opposite! I don't believe the bad smell can be removed and spraying the inside with Febreeze is NOT an alternative as there can be more chemical reactions that could interact with the varnish of the instrument.

Can anyone out there tell me where I may buy good harshell tenor, soprano uke cases that don't stink? Looking for suggestions!!

Just wondering, how many of you have experimented the same thing and what you ended up replacing it with?

Thanks

Last edited:
My Ko'olau case doesn't really smell like anything - purely neutral. Its also very well constructed.

You can buy them from Hawaii Music Supply, they're branded under the Oahu label (look in the accessories section of their site).

Last edited:
I had a bass case that had a rather strong unpleasant odor. neither baking soda or febreeze made a difference. I left it open on the deck for several days to let the sun and air work on it. no more smell and I'm a happy camper.

I had a bass case that had a rather strong unpleasant odor. neither baking soda or febreeze made a difference. I left it open on the deck for several days to let the sun and air work on it. no more smell and I'm a happy camper.

WELL...you were lucky, it didn't work in my "case" (no pun intented!) ;-) Maybe the next time I'll let it air out in the sun for a week! ;-)

I'm waiting on a custom case, the actual hard shell itself will be humpback rib, then I've gone for the kangeroo scrotum leather ! Hand stitched with wombats whiskers and died purple using pigment from crushed butterfly wings.

The interior felt will be arctic white baby seal with a hand carved platypus beak used for extra protection around the headstock and woven strap made of the twisted tail skins of 15 goannas will wrap around and secure the neck., buckles and fasteners will be turtle naturally with carved and buffed crocodile teeth clasps secured with special rivets made from shards of dolphin beak.

Before delivery the whole thing will be washed and cured in a solution of blue lotus water and baby rabbits tears.

It wasn't cheap but I'm hoping for a really organic feel and smell to it.

:) :) :)

It took about a week for the stink to burn out of a guitar case I bought once upon a time.

If the next one stinks I'd leave it out in the sun longer.

Can't tell you which case will not smell, but thanks for validating a real problem with these cases. They stink! And you are correct, it is a smell that does not go away for years (I know, because I have a case that still smells although not as much). The case for my new Kamaka, which is a wonderful case, does not seem to smell all that bad, outside of just new instrument smell, but I am not sure who makes them for Kala. Good luck with this.

In uke cases I've been lucky - I've not had any of my cases stink but I did buy a used tenor in a gig bag and that gig bag was horrible. It still stunk after all the "tricks." It was so bad that after the uke was in it for a few days I had to let the uke air out for an hour or so before playing or the fumes rising from the uke woud make me nautious (and I'm not one with a queasy stomach, normally).

That gig bag is no longer in my house... :)

John

thanks for validating a real problem with these cases. They stink! And you are correct, it is a smell that does not go away for years (I know, because I have a case that still smells although not as much). QUOTE]

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one noticing this problem. it's very sad indeed for companies such as Ukecrazy and Fremont cases (maybe one and the same comany) to go to such trouble as making REALLY GOOD LOOKING cases but using the wrong types of "chemicals" to keep it all together. I am now thinkin more in terms of getting semi hard shell case such as this Ukecrazy one.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html but I have to go and check it out first at my local music store. Since there's no plywood and glues involved other than sewing everything together and material, should be ok smell wise.

In uke cases I've been lucky - I've not had any of my cases stink but I did buy a used tenor in a gig bag and that gig bag was horrible. It still stunk after all the "tricks." It was so bad that after the uke was in it for a few days I had to let the uke air out for an hour or so before playing or the fumes rising from the uke woud make me nautious (and I'm not one with a queasy stomach, normally).

That gig bag is no longer in my house... :)

John

contact http://www.sprucetreemusic.com in Madison. They are/were selling cases that could double as jack stands without being too heavy. ~$70

I have a UkeCrazy case, it doesn't have any odor.

Thank you for the reference!.. It's good to know that not all Ukecrazy cases don't all have bad odors emanating from them. I guess it's just a BAD production batch where they ran out of their favorite and normal smelling glue...

Even different cases among the same brand can be different. My blue Kamoa doesn't smell at all but the red one definitely does.

My Ko'olau case doesn't really smell like anything - purely neutral. Its also very well constructed.

You can buy them from Hawaii Music Supply, they're branded under the Oahu label (look in the accessories section of their site).
You have me smelling my cases, haha. loz is right, nice case and no smell, but my cheapie musician's friend cases don't smell much either.

Top Bottom