NBC nightly news and the Uke

Markr1

Reaction score
I just saw a piece on the NBC nightly news tonight just a few minutes ago about the uke popularity hitting again. They said it hit in the early 1900s and again after world war 2 and now again. They had some shots of the NYC fest this weekend and I saw a shot of Aldrine I think it was on stage and some of the workshops there and then they were in Chicago talking about. They talked about how could you not be happy playing such a fun instrument. It was a really nice piece about it. Glad I got to see it and hope a lot of members here got to see it.

Pause it when Jim and Liz Beloff are playing, and look in the distant background to the right. The guy in the light gray shirt (it's a UU shirt, but you can't tell) is me, and my girlfriend is the one with the light blue shirt. :B

can we find a link for the story, would love to see it...

That's really cool. You were in it?
Pause it when Jim and Liz Beloff are playing, and look in the distant background to the right. The guy in the light gray shirt (it's a UU shirt, but you can't tell) is me, and my girlfriend is the one with the light blue shirt. :B

I found it Jon. If you google NBC nightly news ukulele it's the first one that pops up on Bing.

yes saw it. very nice coverage. Cool seeing Warren Buffet playing the Uke. :) AND singing !!! :) :) Sales should definitely go up this week. Lozark

aaaw, sweet little story. loved it. he he...did they pay you for that 'extras' role haole?

Great news story. Thanks for sharing it.

Are you the ones walking across the back of the room?

btw, thanks KimosTherapy, for the link.

After we watched it, my husband turned to me and said, "Great. The price of your next ukulele just went up by $100." I told him it might be the opposite--if the mainstream media is reporting it, maybe it's peaked.

NBC was at the NY Fest most of yesterday...surprised they used so little footage...Nice piece all the same!

Interesting piece - when the reporter said "With just four strings and a smile,", the ukulele on screen had at least 6-strings. (Clip went too fast to see if it was a 6 or an 8-string)

I really wish that they would check their work before submitting the final product.

-Kurt​

Interesting piece - when the reporter said "With just four strings and a smile,", the ukulele on screen had at least 6-strings. (Clip went too fast to see if it was a 6 or an 8-string)

I really wish that they would check their work before submitting the final product.

-Kurt​

Haha I was just about to post that ... I believe it is an 8-string model, seeing as there are 4 tuning pegs on the right side of the headstock. Either that or it's some crazy custom model :p

1 million here....do I hear 1 1/4......yes the gentleman to my right. Sold to the man in the gray UU shirt with the light blue shirt financial advisor. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom