A Good Way to Slide Gently Into Public Performance

franklin.habit

Reaction score
I'm writing about this for the possible benefit of other newbies who are convinced (as I was) that they will never, ever have the nerve to let anyone hear them play.

I've had a uke for about two months, but my playing has been confined not only to home, but also to home when nobody else is there except the dog.

The dog, I should note, is not a fan. As soon as I open my case, he sighs heavily and heads for the bedroom.

I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to so much as strum a C within earshot of humans. I'm getting better, but even the hint of somebody else listening made me freeze up. I went to the Kupa`a/Old Town School of Folk Music world record attempt a few weeks ago in Chicago (I live nearby), but with 529 other players all strumming at the same time, I knew I wouldn't exactly be in the spotlight.

This week I headed out to a teaching job in New Hampshire at a very old camp on Squam Lake, and decided I couldn't face five days with no uke. So I took it along, and figured I could hole up in my cabin with it to practice.

But when I arrived, I found that in a camp full of board-built cabins there was no real privacy - I could close my door, but not shut out the world entirely. I avoided playing until I couldn't stand it any longer and toted my uke out to the porch where about eight students were sitting and working between classes. I thought I'd just practice fingering chord shapes and not make any noise.

Folks won't let you do that, though. You can't, I learned, bring a ukulele into a public space and have it go unremarked. I had to strum a tiny bit for everyone, just to demonstrate the sound. Then the conversation moved on and I was left to myself. I did some fingering, then some fingering with very light strumming, then the rest of the world sort of fell away and I realized after about 10 minutes that not only was I playing - gently, as a background to the general chatter - but that a few folks were listening with something approaching genuine pleasure.

So, now I've crossed the line. I've been heard. Nobody threw vegetables, and in fact a few folks remarked about how pleasant it was to have live music on the porch and asked for more.

I'm still not ready for an open mic situation, but it no longer seems out of the question that one day I might step up. This was a good way to fall backwards into public performance.

Postscript: I'm home again, and the dog still doesn't like my playing. But I've decided it's because he has no taste.

Last edited:
When I first started playing my cat would run out of the room, but now he's content to hang around nearby and relax. I imagine fixing the intonation on my uke and getting my playing up to his standards helped convert him.

Great story! My students have also eased the public playing issue for me - they think it's a great opportunity to avoid actual work in my classroom... ;)

Postscript: I'm home again, and the dog still doesn't like my playing. But I've decided it's because he has no taste.

Mine either... he's not a big fan of music in general. He's a Lab, so I liken his taste in sounds to his taste in food -- he's voracious, but doesn't really care what he's eating and certainly doesn't taste any of it.

That's a great story and very encouraging. Thanks for sharing!

It reminded me that I technically had my first concert while recently in Hawaii. I was on my lanai playing through some songs and didn't realize the couple in the room next to me were having room service on their lanai. I inadvertently provided then with ukulele music for their dinner. I didn't realize until they later, when they thanked me for playing. I was grinning from ear to ear after that. :)

Eavesdroppers...the perfect audience for a noob.

I may have the nerve now to go visit the uke group in Oak Park (one of our suburbs). They seem very friendly.

Neat stories. It's kinda like me taking my uke to work, having no idea what kind of mood my clients are in (usually sad and stressed out). Most of the time I get to play for them, and they are always more relaxed afterward. Keep these stoires coming, this is a great thread!

I find if you leave one in your office, people will beg, nag, nudge you to play! :D I always have one or two lying around.

So true! I was going to post best way to get into playing publicly is to find a bunch of kids who would rather be your captive audience for Ukulele than they would for chemistry. Glad I am not the only one

Great story! My students have also eased the public playing issue for me - they think it's a great opportunity to avoid actual work in my classroom... ;)

.......... I thought I'd just practice fingering chord shapes and not make any noise.

LOL, that reminds me of the scene in the movie "Music and Lyrics" where Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore are supposed to be recording the demo of the song they wrote. When it's her turn to sing no sound comes out and Hugh says "this song is made for human ears so you have to make sound..."

I know when I first started taking guitar lessons I'd sit in the room and hardly make any noise and one day my teacher was like, play louder and I said well, I don't want anybody to hear me......

I think there is something about a uke tho' - just strumming makes you happy. I'm glad you had fun and thanks for sharing.

When I first started playing the uke my grandson (age 8) said "Keep practicing - it doesn't sound like music yet". Now after 8 months he says "I can't sleep unless granpa plays the ukulele." The playing doesn't seem to bother the cats or dogs as long as I avoid playing too much acid metal tunes.

Mine either... he's not a big fan of music in general. He's a Lab, so I liken his taste in sounds to his taste in food -- he's voracious, but doesn't really care what he's eating and certainly doesn't taste any of it.
Your story reminds me of the advertisment. Lab for sale. Will eat anything. Very fond of children. Gotta get new jokes.

Your story reminds me of the advertisment. Lab for sale. Will eat anything. Very fond of children. Gotta get new jokes.

LOL.

My Lab loves the kids. In fact, he loves to taste them -- luckily just taste them. The kids are not always as fond of his kisses...

I wonder how many people overheard my practicing and playing in the hotel room when I was on travel recently. No lanai, unfortunately. I wonder if I'd have the nerve to play on the lanai at this point!

join us in Oak Park

I'm a beginner but attend the Oak Park meetings weekly and they are a great group.
Edstrummer.

Seems we can "get away with more" with a uke than a guitar. Odd, isn't it? I play both, and I'm probably a bit more accomplished with the guitar than the uke, but the uke just seems to be such a "friendly" instrument. I don't feel quite the pressure I do with that big ol' Martin on my lap.....folks see me with the uke practicing outside my RV (we spend a few months in Florida each year) and they smile and might come over and ask a question or just listen for a bit. It's a fun instrument!

What a great story. There is hope for us all.

I found out how dogs taste stuff while walking my neighbor's dog.... they sniff it and roll in it.

Top Bottom