New Ukes Day!

Curly Koa

Reaction score
I had to send back a really nice/pricey uke that I purchased online, because there was an issue with the intonation. It was a sad day, because the uke had the most beautiful, three-dimensional koa I have ever seen. Luckily, I just so happen to be in Lansing, MI for work this week, so I stopped by Elderly to see if I could pick up some new ukes for about the same amount of money. I tried some ukes that I thought I would buy: Kelii (didn't care for them--particularly the friction tuners, but the tone was ok); four Martin C1Ks, all of which had intonation issues up the neck; one Martin T1K (sounded pretty decent for $500 and was set up well) -- but when I took it to the register they said it was already spoken for; some more expensive Martins, which were nice but not worth the price tag . . . needless to say, I was bummed, but then I started messing around with all the cheap ukes.

I don't usually like cheap ukes, but I actually found some diamonds in the rough that I ended up buying. I found a soprano with a solid cedar top that sounded AWESOME and had great intonation, and it was only $150. It was shop-worn, with a repaired crack in the varnish, but the uke itself was fine. I also found a $200, all solid mahogany baritone, made in China, that sounds pretty darn good. I also ended up buying a Gold Tone tenor banjo uke, just for fun, and it sounds pretty good too!

Congrats on your new ukes. Don't you just love Elderly's? I'm from Lansing and have been going there since 1974.

I would have walked out with four, but one was "spoken for." :( I guess someone ordered it before I went to pay for it or something. It's a good place, but I wish they had more of their stock out in the open instead of having to look online and ask them to grab the stuff from downstairs. Like with the bad Martin C1Ks . . . had to try 4 and none of them were right, and I felt bad for the dude that had to keep running down fetching ukes.

I would have walked out with four, but one was "spoken for." :( I guess someone ordered it before I went to pay for it or something. It's a good place, but I wish they had more of their stock out in the open instead of having to look online and ask them to grab the stuff from downstairs. Like with the bad Martin C1Ks . . . had to try 4 and none of them were right, and I felt bad for the dude that had to keep running down fetching ukes.
Yes, I agree with you, but one thing's for sure...they will do anything for you and are very patient. They will bend over backwards for you. Someone must have made an on-line purchase of the one uke...the item gets marked sold on their system. Glad you found 3 others.

Top Bottom