Any sonic difference between concert and tenor Fluke?

Thumper

Reaction score
I've played both sizes of Fluke, but never in a situation where I could compare them directly.

Since the body size is the same on both models, I wondered if the difference in the length of the strings made an appreciable sonic difference. Has anybody A/B tested the two sizes?

Same question for soprano vs. concert Fleas.

Thanks!

Here's a quick sample of some strumming and fingerpicking on my two Flukes.

Uke #1 is a concert-sized Fluke with rosewood fingerboard strung with Ko'olau Alohi strings.
Uke #2 is a tenor-neck Fluke with rosewood fingerboard strung with D'Addario Titanium strings. I suspect the Alohi and Titanium may actually be the same strings.

This is recorded directly with my Zoom H2 with no effects.

I can't tell much sonic difference. Can you?

Wow, THANK YOU, RevWill! What a great comparison! And no, I don't hear much difference at all. Maybe the Tenor is louder, but if so, just barely.

Thanks so much for such a well done A/B test!

Great sound review! thanks for both!

You're welcome. I had the Flukes and a few free minutes, so I thought I'd answer sonically rather than just posting.

Here's a quick sample of some strumming and fingerpicking on my two Flukes.

Uke #1 is a concert-sized Fluke with rosewood fingerboard strung with Ko'olau Alohi strings.
Uke #2 is a tenor-neck Fluke with rosewood fingerboard strung with D'Addario Titanium strings. I suspect the Alohi and Titanium may actually be the same strings.

This is recorded directly with my Zoom H2 with no effects.

I can't tell much sonic difference. Can you?

Thanks Will. I've always wondered how different the concert and tenor Flukes were.
I agree with Thumper.

Awesome! Pretty darn close.

I have a concert fluke. I guess I don't need to buy a tenor fluke after hearing the sample.
Thank you for the comparison and nice strumming / finger picking!

Just an FYI that this thread is over 4 yrs old, and Doc_J is the only one of these folks I've seen regularly here on the forum over even the past year, so you are likely not going to see a reply from the OP or the others if they've moved away from UU since 2012.

Just dont want you to get your hopes up for a reply that may never come....:shaka:

Now I feel like a loser reading thread from four years ago. In 2012 don't think I even know what is a ukulele lets alone played one! Life is full of surprises!

Now I feel like a loser reading thread from four years ago. In 2012 don't think I even know what is a ukulele lets alone played one! Life is full of surprises!

No worries!

Please dont feel bad, as the same thing has happened to me a few times.

Now I check the dates on all threads to make sure that at least a few folks are posting now, or the topic is still relevant for long term. But that's just me, and YMMV.

Good luck! :)

I think this topic is relevant for the long term.

The fact that they sound virtually identical with the same tuning and (presumably) same strings is worth knowing.

I went for a tenor Fluke as I wanted to tune it down to dGBE like my other tenors and there are strings available for that tuning for tenor ukes. I feel I made the right choice and I get lots of positive comment from non-ukulele players about the tone.

Perhaps this is not a surprise as the only difference between the concert and the tenor is the length of the neck. How much difference does 1.5" of neck make?

I wasn't really surprised. It's what I expected but it 's nice to have confirmation. The difference in string tension can make a difference. The reason I went for the tenor was to do with string tension. dGBE strings tend to be lower tension than those for GCEA. I find the string tension of a tenor tuned GCEA too high but too low a tension isn't good either.

How much difference does 1.5" of neck make?

mmm, 15% concert to tenor...:shaka:

BTW, I don't hear any difference through my little Bose bluetooth speaker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom