Weekly Newbie Challenge #2

carolani

Reaction score
Hi fellow newbies. Just thought I'd try to get some ideas started for week 2.

I personally like the idea someone had (I can't remember who it was) where we pick a skill we want to learn or improve at and use it in a song.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas out there. Let's get some thoughts flowing :D.

Can someone please for the love of God give me a chunking demo I can follow? I feel like I've seen a billion of them but I can't translate concept into action.

Can someone please for the love of God give me a chunking demo I can follow? I feel like I've seen a billion of them but I can't translate concept into action.

I totally second that!

Aldrine has done at least 3 or 4 different videos about chunking with close-ups of his right hand. Are you talking about chunking while strumming or fingerpicking?

Either. I'm like chunk deficient. I know a lot of people don't care for the technique but I think it sounds nifty and it is so irritating that I can't make it happen.

Either. I'm like chunk deficient. I know a lot of people don't care for the technique but I think it sounds nifty and it is so irritating that I can't make it happen.

I had a mini lesson in my beginner group a while ago. I kept trying and trying and someone noticed I hold my uke rather high, so I should be chunking with the flesh of my thumb, rather than my palm. It worked, but I didn't practice it, as I was a bit annoyed that they all decided to do a song with chunks immediately.

So, basically, I strum, then extend my thumb so that it mutes the strings. It's hard to describe, and I'm probably not doing it right.

I do like the way it sounds on other people's songs, but for me, I love the Mega-Sustain of my Martin Strings that I never even bother with it.

This is the one that was mentioned up top. It's the one that taught me how to do it. The key is to go very very slowly and it won't even sound like you're doing it right, but as you get the rhythm and go faster and faster, boom, there it is. I don't really know how else to explain it.

This is the one that was mentioned up top. It's the one that taught me how to do it. The key is to go very very slowly and it won't even sound like you're doing it right, but as you get the rhythm and go faster and faster, boom, there it is. I don't really know how else to explain it.

That's reassuring, that it won't sound right till it gets up to speed!

I missed week 1, but I'm in for whatever ya'll decide to do for week 2!

If y'all* want to do a "chunking" challenge for week 2, that's great. I'd suggest trawling Youtube and the tab sites for some Reggae. Even if you don't like the style of music, you'll find nothing better for developing your technique.

And if you do like Reggae, or want to expand your horizons a little, I suggest you try & listen to "Best dressed chicken in town" by Dr Alimantado. One of my favourite examples of roots reggae.

* Damn, you've got me talking like y'all now!

Yet another good idea Big Kahuna. I could use some chunk practice. How 'bout y'all?

Hmmm. I'd like to hear what a combination of Southern American and British accents sounds like. ;)

I think it would be a better having everyone playing the same thing as oppose to everyone playing different songs like in week one. That way everyone can watch each others videos and then a discussion is possible because we all played the same thing. If someone hates reggae, then they can sit out the week.

I agree with kirbo, though that could be difficult for different skill levels (clearly, from last week's videos, there are major differences in skill - even amongst newbies).

I'm on board with learning chunking. After seeing some during last week's challenge, I had to look up how to do it. I understand how it works .... I don't understand how to do it at rhythm.

Are there some good exercises / lessons (non-video) on strumming patterns in-general? I'm pretty clueless there, having paid attention to the "rules" of worrying about forming chords before worrying about strumming.

Here's another chunking tutorial video showing a slightly different strumming technique.

I just stole Freeda's idea and suggested Reggae as a potential source of practice material, if I'm being honest. I can't really take credit for anything here :)

How about "I Shot the Sheriff"? Only 3 chords makes it accessible to even the newest of the nuubies.

Last edited:
Fine for me m8, let's see what everyone else thinks.

One small point I'd like to make, and one on which I expect to get thoroughly (and happily) corrected, is this: It's traditional (for me at least) when playing the rhythm part of a reggae song on guitar to accent the off beats on the upward strum, and damp the other beats. This is more of a challenge, I believe, to the chunking on the down strum, as your hand will naturally fall into position to dampen the strings on a down strum. Doing it on the upward strum is a lot more fun!

Then again, the more clubs you have in your bag, the more you can vary your playing style on the fly.

What helped me when learning to chunk was to hold the thumb and index finger of my strumming hand together as if I was holding a pick. I would strum only with my index finger but then I would slowly roll my hand inward toward my body until my thumb was lightly brushing the strings. Then, you would roll your hand inward a tiny bit more and on the downstrokes, depending on how you are holding your uke, you would be dampening the strings/chunking with either the side of your thumb or the fleshy part of your palm below the thumb. Once you find your effective chunking hand position, then you just have to try and work it in on your strumming. I can do the chunk, but it still needs a lot of practice. I can't do it well enough or consistent enough to where it sounds good when trying to incorporate it into a song.

You know, I learned to chunk from watching this fellow (he seems to have it dialed)- I could not do it from the instructional videos...can't really do anything that way because I get too distracted- anyway, Here's Rocky!

I strum single finger, sometimes melody on the a and mute only 1 2 and 3, sometimes muting with my palm, sometimes with the pad of my thumb (dad plays steel guitar- watched his hands to get it :)) In any event= everyone does it differently, p;ay along with Rocky until you get it (or go stark raving mad)

Top Bottom