Eleuke?

nukes

Reaction score
Hi Uke players,
I am new to the uke world. I am wondering how many people are like me, who is trying to use an electric ukulele to replace an electric guitar. I am thinking about getting an eleuke but it's hard to find a physical store to try out. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I have one, but I'm not using it to replace a guitar! I have it because it's nifty!

customizable eleuke!?

found this video while searching for eleuke on youtube -
would be cool if you can buy different effect to stick on...

Last edited:
Here's what mine sounds like plugged in.

Great playing, Webby!

I have the same style of Eleuke as him. So far, I've only used it to practice with headphones on. Webby has inspired me to pry my Vox Mini3 from hubby and play it plugged in.

Chorus cat dislikes distortion.

The Eleuke is super nifty, but there are many other great options out there too.. like the Risa electric ukuleles (which I generally consider to be a notch above Eleukes in quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqQWon71do

They also have steel string electric ukes, which are closer to being electric guitars, but with the dimensions and tuning of ukulele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTto-UimHg

I own both types of Risa's electric - could not be happier :)

you won't go wrong with an Eleuke, i love having a jam with it and it annoys the neighbours as well added bonus KAA CHING

I find the idea quite appealing.
I've been having a look on the web for a baritone steel string uke that tickles my fancy but, alas,
i've not had any luck in finding anything. The other complication is that i'm a 'lefty'.
Anybody have any ideas?
Perhaps I need to follow the custom route?
cheers
Gary

I find the idea quite appealing.
I've been having a look on the web for a baritone steel string uke that tickles my fancy but, alas,
i've not had any luck in finding anything. The other complication is that i'm a 'lefty'.
Anybody have any ideas?
Perhaps I need to follow the custom route?
cheers
Gary

Have you tried contacting any of the retailers? They might be able to special order a lefty version for you on some brands/models. Although if you do go custom there are a lot of nice options out there, like the Ko'olau solid bodies. :drool:

I had terrible luck with the Eleuke brand. I bought one on Ebay last summer, and the intonation was appalling. I sent it back, they sent me another - same problem. This happened THREE times. Finally the Ebay seller contacted Chesbro/Eleuke, and they went through their entire stock and discovered that all the ukes in that particular model had intonation problems, so they ended up refunding my money. Very disappointing, because it looked like an awesome uke. But looks can be deceiving...

Now we have a Risa electric, and it's been wonderful. But I sure wish it looked as cool as an Eleuke. :(

I had terrible luck with the Eleuke brand. I bought one on Ebay last summer, and the intonation was appalling. I sent it back, they sent me another - same problem. This happened THREE times. Finally the Ebay seller contacted Chesbro/Eleuke, and they went through their entire stock and discovered that all the ukes in that particular model had intonation problems, so they ended up refunding my money. Very disappointing, because it looked like an awesome uke. But looks can be deceiving...

Now we have a Risa electric, and it's been wonderful. But I sure wish it looked as cool as an Eleuke. :(

Ford made pintos, doesn't mean i wouldn't like a mustang.

I have read all the posts and not a one of you have mentioned Mim yet!! Mim's Ukes is THE place to get an Eleuke. Call, e-mail, message her for all your eleuke questions and needs. She has a direct line to the company.

G Hill: Pete Howlett makes a great looking solid body baritone ukulele. I don't know if he makes a baritone with steel strings though. Tony Graziano mentioned that he recently built a steel string baritone acoustic body.

Have you tried contacting any of the retailers? They might be able to special order a lefty version for you on some brands/models. Although if you do go custom there are a lot of nice options out there, like the Ko'olau solid bodies. :drool:

I have a tenor Ko'olau CE-1 and I love it. I bought it from HMS and it was built to order (took 2 months) and I imagine that ordering a left handed version is a possibility. They offer baritones as well, per the Ko'olau website. Be aware that a CE-1 is pricier than than an Eleuke (they're about a grand with the basic options) but as with any Ko'olau uke you're going to get a very high quality intrument.

Top Bottom