Flea on the way

Tootler

Reaction score
Despite the reservations I have expressed in other threads about the price of Fleas and Flukes, I decided that it ticked a number of boxes for me for another soprano uke, so I have ordered one.

The Southern Ukulele Store (UK) had a reasonable deal on the basic Flea (with the dreaded plastic fretboard :) ) plus a gig bag which, taking into account UK taxes and shipping costs, works out very reasonably compared with the US price.

I have been notified of its despatch, so I await its arrival with interest and looking forward to trying it.

I'll see what strings it has but I have sets of both Worth clears and browns should it need better ones than those supplied.

I think you'll be happy. My tiki Flea with plastic fretboard has been barking away beautifully since 2006. The Martin fluoros I have on mine sound great.

I just got my new Flea from Southern Ukulele Store today and have just posted my first impressions of it. Mine came strung with Aquilas and sounds okay to my ear. I may try different strings sometime but for now the standard strings are fine for me. The plastic fretboard? I happen to really like mine. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy your Flea!

Good choice

Just checked the tracking at the courier and it's arrived in Middlesbrough, so hope it arrives tomorrow.

If it comes strung with Aquilas, I'll probably leave them on for now. I have a minor aversion to changing out perfectly good strings. My Yorkshire father and Aberdeen mother coming out :D

Despite the reservations I have expressed in other threads about the price of Fleas and Flukes, I decided that it ticked a number of boxes for me for another soprano uke, so I have ordered one.I have been notified of its
despatch, so I await its arrival with interest and looking forward to trying it.

I'll see what strings it has but I have sets of both Worth clears and browns should it need better ones than those supplied.

Just saw Steven Strauss perform in concert at the New York Uke Festival on Sat eve. He absolutely blew me ( and the audience) away on his soprano uke. His uke of choice. Soprano Flea with Low G string. He made that flea sing.

Steve could make any ukulele sing, but it is interesting that he chose a Flea for the concert. I have watched probably 100 of his YT videos ( videos by PipLagenta on YT), and have only seen him play either his RISA stick or several conventional ukuleles.

Aquilas may not be everyone's first choice on some ukes but they sound great on a Flea IMO.

It arrived this morning. It came with Aquila strings, so I will leave them on.

First impressions, very favourable. As others have said, plenty of volume, but also very good tone. Quite distinctive.

The plastic fretboard plays very well. I can get a clear tone even on chords like D with three fingers on one fret. There seems to be just a little more room for the fingers than on my other sopranos which is very useful.

Definitely one for carrying about, though I might just swap the gig bag over with one from another uke as flea one has no pockets for bits and pieces.

When I get a bit of time, I will post a video.

Top Bottom