wtb baritone ukulele,

Blue Skies

Reaction score
So that I can play with my Dad and his senior action baritone uke group. I have roughly, give or take about $200.00 to work with for the uke, then I need to worry about getting the accessories as cheaply as possible. I do want to get a decent case for it, a tuner, a stand, some good notes for me to learn from, etc.

I also will be taught somewhat at one class there by a different instructor than my Dads. Dad doesn't practice at all out of class. I will be...and have found all kinds of cool ways to learn online as I'm sure all of you already know about.

From what I've read and learned so far, I believe I'd like to get either a solid mahogany top with laminate sides or a solid mahogony body. I read that the lighter colored tops sound 'brighter'. hence my want of a darker colored one for the 'deeper' sounds it may have. I have no way of listening to any of them before purchase except for Youtub or soundbites as I checked all the music stores locally and most of the pawn shops and nobody has any baritones in stock to listen to. I also need to get one kinda quick as my Dad is in a hurry for me to join...:eek:

I would think that the solid body would sound better than the solid top only, but the Koloa solid body is way cheaper than the Cordoba solid top I'm looking at...I don't know why. Does anybody have any experience with the Koloa or know anything about it? The Cordoba is very nice looking in my opinion and I like the satin way better than the gloss. I also read that solid bodies need a humidifier? to keep the wood nice, but what about the solid top? Doesn't it need help too?

So anyway, to sum up so far, Im looking at the Cordoba 20-BM, the Koloa KU-650, and the Ohana BK-20.

If anyone has anything for sale similar to what I'm looking at above or any other suggestions in that price range, I'd love to hear about it!

Again, thanks much in advance, D

I bought my son a used Koloa for his birthday last year. It's light, all solid mahogany, and looks and sounds like it costs way more than they sell for. I paid $125 with a case for it. With the Southcoast linear strings on it, it sounds awesome. One on ebay now for that price. Good luck. I have a Cordoba solid mahogany topped tenor that sounds great. If you could get the Ohana in your price range, go for it. I'd get the Koloa myself if I didn't want to pay too much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Music-L...767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f186656f7

Also, if there is someone in your Grandfather's group that can do setups, you can get a very nice solid mahogany vintage baritone on ebay (with a guarantee the neck is straight)..Harmony, Silvertone, and others.

Last edited:
Have you tried asking anyone in your Dad's uke group if they have one for sale? I don't think UAS knows any age limit. :p

As for a case, the Kala or the Lanikai polyfoam (they're basically the same thing, but the Kala says "Uke Crazy" on the tab) are fairly inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-Hards...1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339552120&sr=8-3-fkmr0

That description is misleading because it's not a true hardshell. They are polyfoam, which is very sturdy and lightweight. They have a generous sized interior accessory pocket, an outside zippered pocket and a shoulder strap.

A lot of us like the red chromatic Snark tuner.

http://www.amazon.com/Snark-Instrum...F8&qid=1339552500&sr=1-2&keywords=snark+tuner

Top Bottom