Tiples. The ten string steel ukulele...sound sample and use

MGM

Reaction score
I have often seen post about what a steel string ukulele would sound like and here is a good example with my partner in music crime Ramon from Virginia...he uses a custom tiple daily in all his gigs....Got him to,stop by and give us all a sample...Tiples..made by Martin...Lyon and Healy and Washburn and well as some from Kamaka are an instrument I rarely have ever seen anyone use on a regular basis nowadays...This one was made by Kekani..Aaron Oya years ago and was the instrument he had on him when I first met Aaron now gifted to Ramon.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwRaal11cGs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPad

You think your fingertips hurt now, try playing one of those for an hour or two.

I want one though just because it's so neat, but I can't see me ever getting one.

Ho, Bruddah Mike!

Mahalo fo sharing da video! HO! Uncle Ramon shua can jam on da Tiple!!! :worship:Get one unique sound fo shua! I like em and I think I can maybe learn fo play a little since I play Ki ho'alu on da steel string guitar.

Very nice. Fingerpicking a tiple is pretty difficult. He makes it look like a walk in the park.

I brought my Yasuma tiple to a gathering of the Ukulele Union of Boston last summer, and was surprised that no one had heard of the tiple. I figured at least a few of these folks would be collectors who had one of everything. I've only played my tiple in front of a live audience once. I agree with zac987, Ramon's fingerpicking ability on a tiple is impressive.

There's a local guy that brings a Martin tiple to the jam sessions we used to have. It gives a different sound other than just a bunch of ukes going all at once.

But finger picking? Wow!

MGM, you gotta turn up the volume on the bass next time. I'm guessing this was taken straight off your camera, no mics?

Anyway, if anyone wants to see Ramon, he's on The Willows event calander about once a month.
http://willowshawaii.com/index.php/events-calendar/

For those that don't know, Ramon increases his level of difficulty when playing the tiple because he doesn't play gcea tuning. . . It's always Acea. Why? That another thread for another time. Basically, when he switches back and forth, he also switches his chord structure. WTH?

Aaron

Last edited:
I have looked into buying a Tiple, but each time I think "I could buy a couple of K brands." I realize they will cost more than a our, but the lowest I've seen is around $2000. Great sound, though!

It sounds like a freaking calliope.

What if you just strung a mandolin in fourths? Eight strings, and harder to fingerpick given the narrower fingerboard, but much less expensive.
I have looked into buying a Tiple, but each time I think "I could buy a couple of K brands." I realize they will cost more than a our, but the lowest I've seen is around $2000. Great sound, though!

What if you just strung a mandolin in fourths? Eight strings, and harder to fingerpick given the narrower fingerboard, but much less expensive.

Because then you'd have a Mandolin in fourths, and not a tiple.

A 1923 Martin sounds great tuned Dd GgG BbB ee with Aquila strings. It is actually easier to play than a standard uke according to several who have played it. The feeling is like walking wearing snow shoes. the pressure is distributed across the finger tips rather than concentrated. I can understand ACEA, or FCFA. Hmmmm.Dirk, do you use alternate fingerings on your cuatro tunings?

I guess this should be posted in the video section, but since this thread is about the Tiple, particularly played by Ramon, here's a really long video - hope you enjoy.

Aaron

Dang that was a long video.....If interested by the way I have a martin Tiple at our shop if you want to try and play one

I said it was long, and this is not even all of it - is actually 34 minutes long, and a good sampling of his songs.

Ha! The Martin Tiple was the speced to build mine. A few changes of course - 14 fret join, pin bridge, Tusq saddle, and no slotted headstock (got the "Kenny B" headstock on that one), cf rod. It's a prototype that I initially called the Ugly Monster.

Aaron

Top Bottom