Please help :)

InsaneNinja

Reaction score
Hey,
Im from the UK and im looking for a begginers ukulele. I had a go on my friends soprano ukulele and I loved it, i loved playing it i thought it was really fun. So im looking for a ukulele maybe a soprano or concert size and one that sounds good and is not too expensive. Maybe £20-£30? Thats roughly $50. I just want a cheapy one, so if you could recommend one that i can play around with and learn chords and then maybe if i feel like im really enjoying it, il get a more expensive one. So yeah any replys would be appreciated,

Where do you live m8 ? There are quite a few of us in the UK. Some of them might be able to direct you do a decent shop in your area.

Makala Dolphin. If you are in Brighton, hop along to Bournemouth and visit the Southern Ukulele Store, they stock them amongst many many others. Get them to check set up before taking it.

Alternatively call Highly Strung as above and ask for same thing (set up). And, ideally, get Aquila strings fitted, you won't look back!

To Give some idea of my total outlay on starting with a ukulele:

makala dolphin: £26
clip on tuner: £12 (not essential but a nice thing to have)
cheap padded gig bag: £10
fitting aquila strings and setup: £7 (They lowered the saddle a tad - but did not charge me for it)

So my total outlay was £55 for a very playable instrument and accessories. This i regard as money very well spent. I am glad i had the ukulele to play for a short while before the aquila's were fitted - It made me appreciate just what a huge difference the setup and strings made (even to my untrained ears).

Last edited:
I second the recommendation for Southern Ukuleles at Bournemouth.
They are very helpful and a pleasure to do business with.
Cheers
Gary

So glad you'll be joining us! I took bazmaz's advice and bought a Dolphin and Aquila strings. I did NOT order it from a 'uke store and have it set up properly. I now know that it would not have cost much more to do it that way, given that I had to buy the better strings anyway. So it may end up running you a few pounds more to get the proper set-up, but in the very near future you'll find it saves you money and frustration. Nonetheless I'm pleased with my Dolphin, and the Aquila strings made an enormous difference.

Don't forget to let us know what you decide!

Thanks! You've all helped allot :) Il probably go with the dolphin with Aquila strings. Seems like a good ukulele! Thanks guys :D

Top Bottom