PDA

View Full Version : strange Jack socket question

Yooky Dooky
06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi guys,

If I were to fit the style of jack socket shown in the attached image to the front of an acoustic Uke, would it impair the quality of the sound the uke makes? I know it's unusual but it thought it might make for an interesting look.

Thanks

YD :confused:

Pete Howlett
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Keep those dangerous thoughts to yourself in future... :D

Yooky Dooky
06-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Keep those dangerous thoughts to yourself in future...

Would that be a yes or a no????? :confused::D

chiefnoda
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
[COLOR=#800000]
If I were to fit the style of jack socket shown in the attached image to the front of an acoustic Uke, would it impair the quality of the sound the uke makes?

Yes, in a sense. Because your top will be ripped apart in no time.

To install this on an acoustic ukulele, you need to cut a large hole and then attach the jack using two bolts. The bolts will bear a lot of stress and they will not hold. This jack is designed to be secured with screws into a solid wood.

Simply put, a horrible bad idea. Oh by the way, Pete said it nicely!

Cheers
Chief

Kekani
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Actually, there are those that subscribe to the notion that everything above the waist brace on the soundboard doesn't matter. That being the case, and if there's a Spanish heel, there may be enough wood up there to drill into if the fretboard is cut back a little.. Of course, if that were to be done, may as well hope for a sizable tailblock and put it there.

Aaron

Pete Howlett
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Maybe better fixed to the front of headstock with the wire running down a channel cut into the back of the neck and then filled with 'skunk' stripe to give it that Fender feel....

Kekani
06-13-2012, 03:43 PM
If you're going to skunk stripe it, may as well make it a stereo jack and run one of the wires hot to those LED fretboard lighting systems, from the inside rather than just on the side. Actually, no need for the stereo jack as the power could be run straight from the body.

Hey, this may put the Gibson auto tuners within reach, no?

Aaron

Yooky Dooky
06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. It was just an idea. :o

Kekani
06-13-2012, 10:29 PM
No, thank you. Hang around here long enough, you'll realize when some of us find the need to have some fun.

Aaron

Rick Turner
06-14-2012, 04:52 AM
I do not design for a dead upper bout...but that's just me.

And this seems to be another case of listening with eyes, not ears...

Just because something looks cool does not mean it will sound good nor be a good idea.

Yooky Dooky
06-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Yep. Thanks. I think I've got the message. Bad Idea.:rolleyes:

Pete Howlett
06-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Try changing your font colour - it reads as 'angry'. Many here want to help the enthusiast. Get us on your side instead of against you :) I made many mistakes when I first visited here and didn't understand the particular etiquette that pervades this forum. Get a feel for it by spending time reading through many of the past formative posts.

Yooky Dooky
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Point taken on the font colour Peter. It has been changed. Thanks :)