18th season of the Ukulele...

TCK

Reaction score
Haha Steffen, this is an easy one- relatively straight forward even...I was going to have you all cover Motorhead, but thought better of it- here we go!
Seasons of the Ukulele Season 18
Starts- Sunday June 16th, Ends Sunday June 23rd.
CHALLENGE
Record any song as a duet. My favorite videos are the ones where we collaborate, or drag our mates into them, or our significant others, so I figure this a convenient way to ask for more. Song may be an original composition or a cover.
PARAMETERS
Video must be one take (it may be take 56)- no overdubs. It must also be a new video.
Both parties in your duet need not play the Ukulele, but both need to sing parts of the arrangement.
The Ukulele must be the central instrument in your arrangement
State at the beginning of your video that it is for Season 18 of the Ukulele
Post your videos in this thread
Duets may be male-female or single gender
Multiple versions of the same song are OK
You may enter as many times as you would like, but your final video is the one that is judged
JUDGING CRITERIA
Points will be awarded as follows:
Musicianship /15 (this is an overall score for both people if both play)
Singing /15 (applied to both singers)
Overall performance /10 (this is your ability to sell the song...charm and panache folks)
Set and Costume /10 (I hate doing this part, but like watching it)
This allows for fifty points from each judge. Scores will be collated and averaged for final score.

*** BONUS POINTS You had to know that was coming. Many singers leave us way too early, one of the finest IMHO was Miss Tammi Terrell. Together with Marvin Gaye she left quite a mark on the music world for a 24 year old. Do one of their songs and you get +3

Your esteemed panel of judges is as follows: Myself, Roxhum, Ksiegel, Canoelady and 23skidoo.

PRIZES
I was able to reach out into the community and get some nifty prizes for my week, So first, I have to thank Mr. Dirk Wormhoudt of Southcoast Ukulele and Guitar Company, The folks at Kala Brand Music, and Canoelady for sponsoring prizes.

First Place
A Solid Wood US made Kala Standout Ukulele stand Winners Choice
A Marci Marxer Ukulele For Everyone DVD
A set of premium Southcoast Ukulele Strings
Second Place
AN imported veneer Kala Standout Ukulele Stand
A Marci Marxer Ukulele For Everyone DVD
Third Place
Famous Solos and Duets for the Ukulele Book (donated by Canoelady)

Did I get it all? Hope so...Prize info is in the links, please click on them, it was really cool for these folks to sponsor a week for us.
Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
TCK we are excited for this one and are going to do a song but we have a question. Is a green screen allowed as a set or is that considered cheating? We didn't wanna get disqualified for the other contest so we just did it in the kitchen and moved some art work around but I have been tinkering with a green screen and I would like to try it if it's allowed.

I think because I included set as a judging criteria, that kind of throws the field off a bit as those skills are not something everyone can muster. Gonna have to say that greenscreen would at the very least forfeit those points (but I am stoked to see what you fella's come up with)
TCK we are excited for this one and are going to do a song but we have a question. Is a green screen allowed as a set or is that considered cheating? We didn't wanna get disqualified for the other contest so we just did it in the kitchen and moved some art work around but I have been tinkering with a green screen and I would like to try it if it's allowed.

Great theme TCK! I hope I can find the time to enter this week (the kids just got out of school for the summer). Please, please, please someone do Paradise By The Dashboard Lights!!!

LOL- TCK also just got out for the summer :) You ought to teach one of the kids Paradise and have them join in (only if you have a frilly shirt lying about though-don't want to mess up the costuming on that one) ! Here's to hoping you find a little time
Great theme TCK! I hope I can find the time to enter this week (the kids just got out of school for the summer). Please, please, please someone do Paradise By The Dashboard Lights!!!

Last edited:
I'm ready for this one... And I'll give an extra 2 points to anyone who understands the meaning of "panache", and demonstrates it literally in the video - Just DON"T SAY WHAT IT IS - SHOW it to me!

-Kurt​

Question: could I do a song that was written for and performed originally as a duet but have two girls sing the female part? I'm thinking of having my daughters share the female part while I do the male (or perhaps the other way around might be interesting).

ooh. I love panache! Just the other day I made some crudités with brioche and paté topped off with a little panache. It was so good!

Yes! This is devolving perfectly :) ukulele daddy- I am going to make a decision on that one and say go for it. If the girls are in, let them do their thing for us

My wife says I'm a panintheache, does that count? she said she'd do I'm stuck with you babe, I mean I've got you babe, that should be fun as we glare at each other with dagger eyes.

Duet? Sure! Bonus for Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye? Great idea, but quite a challenge to sing that, TCK!

Here's our entry!
"Something Stupid" had been taken into the charts by Frank and Nancy Sinatra in 1967, and then in the same year Marvin and Tammi delivered their version. In 2001 the song has been in the public ear via the version of Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman. But our fav always has been Tammi's and Marvin's version!
Hope you like ours!

just needed some contest clarification: are newer (popular) songs allowed at all? or is this another by-gone era genre contest as i dont know any

if we have no one to do a duet with--none of my friends sing and my family is on a different continent--can I do both parts of a duet by myself and edit them together?

Duet? Sure! Bonus for Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye? Great idea, but quite a challenge to sing that, TCK!

Here's our entry!
"Something Stupid" had been taken into the charts by Frank and Nancy Sinatra in 1967, and then in the same year Marvin and Tammi delivered their version. In 2001 the song has been in the public ear via the version of Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman. But our fav always has been Tammi's and Marvin's version!
Hope you like ours!

The linked arm playing was nice little touch. so subtle... surely that deserves bonus points. Well played.

if we have no one to do a duet with--none of my friends sing and my family is on a different continent--can I do both parts of a duet by myself and edit them together?
Is there a uke club near you? secret ukulele player at school?

Top Bottom