Conversion - a treat for all :)

Very cool, very clever
Chuck, you just spellded it wronge, that's all ha ha

Wow, that was an extensive repair! Good thread...

And the point is?

Oh, that you can take a crappy guitar and turn it into a crappy baritone uke...got it!

I think that was his notion Rick. However the conversion would work with a not so crap guitar... like the conversion of martin f holes into 000-28s Anyway, in all honesty i was trying to hilite his approach and methodology - some c;eaver wrinkles for those who regularly post here with what to us professionals are clearly dumb ideas but can be made to work for them - bless 'em. And this guy is certainly one of 'them' that make the world a richer place. Hey - I'm fighting his corner you know ;) Stop being so mean :) After all, he is British and doesn't know any better than you Californians!

that was an extensive repair
The repair was extensive due to the neck reset part. The conversion from 6 strings to 4 strings is quite straightforward.
I just did one about two weeks ago. I took a small size guitar (about 20" scale length), replace the nut and reconfigure the bridge for 4 strings. I bought the heaviest guitar steel strings I can find and use the 4 thick ones to make a small bass acoustic guitar for home practice, it's still way larger than an uke bass. The whole conversion takes probably 4 to 6 hours. One thing I have not done is to replace the tuners (2 inlines) with 4 individual tuners to make it look good.

I did something very similar myself when I made
my electric uke conversion. If your interested it
can been seen and heard here:-

http://youtu.be/vcBO8HDNzyw

If you can't stand too much of my singing,
the close ups and details of the uke can
be seen from 1:42 onwards ;)

I think it's a good way to make a cheap baritone
uke. I'm working on a semi acoustic one at the
moment, built from a Stagg 1/2 size guitar.

(stands back and waits for backlash from uke purists) ;):D

Sorry, but I see most of this stuff through the eyes of someone trying to make a living at it. My bad... I seem to have lost the urge to make polyester purses out of sow's ears...

From my perspective, why not start with something decent? That's a lot of labor to waste on crap... There are plenty of "project guitars" out there made with good materials. Why not use them instead?

Sorry, but I see most of this stuff through the eyes of someone trying to make a living at it. My bad... I seem to have lost the urge to make polyester purses out of sow's ears...

From my perspective, why not start with something decent? That's a lot of labor to waste on crap... There are plenty of "project guitars" out there made with good materials. Why not use them instead?

Yeah Rick, I understand your point. I'm lucky enough to make a good living as an engineer so I do pointless projects for fun. In my case I'm building a baritone via more conventional means. But I've already invested enough money to buy a decent baritone ready made. By the time you figure in the value of my labor (even at minimum wage) I could have bought a custom baritone. But I still admire this guy's combination of skill and his unwillingness to throw that piece of crap away.

Top Bottom