Dull F tone

ukumic

Reaction score
I have a Kala KA-FMT tenor with aquila strings. The problem is that I'm getting a rather dull sound when fretting the E-string on the first fret and also on the C-string, 5th fret (almost the same on the 4th/6th fret, but not as bad there). But there's no problem when plugging the E-string open or when fretting the, say, 5th fret of the E-string. Likewise, no problem with the C-string, 1st fret, for example.

What could be the problem? The uke? The strings? Anyone experienced something similar?

There are instances of instruments having dead spots on certain notes. Maybe your uke just doesn't like F.

There are instances of instruments having dead spots on certain notes. Maybe your uke just doesn't like F.

Ah, that is what it's called, a dead spot. That gives me something to read about. Anyway, as far as I can see there's no real way to get rid of such dead spots (without replacing the neck). Is this just bad luck or do these dead spots appear to be a rather common thing amongst ukuleles? Would you guys return the uke because of this?

Top Bottom