PDA

View Full Version : Dull F tone

ukumic
10-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I have a Kala KA-FMT tenor with aquila strings. The problem is that I'm getting a rather dull sound when fretting the E-string on the first fret and also on the C-string, 5th fret (almost the same on the 4th/6th fret, but not as bad there). But there's no problem when plugging the E-string open or when fretting the, say, 5th fret of the E-string. Likewise, no problem with the C-string, 1st fret, for example.

What could be the problem? The uke? The strings? Anyone experienced something similar?

seeso
10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
There are instances of instruments having dead spots on certain notes. Maybe your uke just doesn't like F.

ukumic
10-26-2008, 11:48 PM
There are instances of instruments having dead spots on certain notes. Maybe your uke just doesn't like F.

Ah, that is what it's called, a dead spot. That gives me something to read about. Anyway, as far as I can see there's no real way to get rid of such dead spots (without replacing the neck). Is this just bad luck or do these dead spots appear to be a rather common thing amongst ukuleles? Would you guys return the uke because of this?

MGM
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Try changing the strings first