Changing tuners and voiding warranty, wait or do it?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys and gals have changed out the tuners on your ukes, either geared or friction. I just bought some koa wood knob Waverly geared tuners to replace the ebony Grovers on my new Kanilea. I was inspired by the photo of DrewBear's uke in his posts after he bought it here on UU, and also saw them on a VanPelt uke I liked.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?56714-My-First-New-(to-me)-Uke-Day/page1
http://www.dreamukes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/three-tenors.jpg

I see from joe jeweler's post that it is a pretty straightforward install. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...uners-(16-1)-Are-Fabulous!-HIGHLY-Recommended

My only hesitation is my reluctance to void my Kanilea warranty by doing so. I emailed them to ask if it would but haven't heard back yet. If they are willing to do it for me, I could try to take it to them later this year. But I am also the most impatient person in the world and want to install them sooner rather than later.

Has anyone heard if this mod would invalidate a warranty (I know internal pickup installation can in cases, but this is just external), but it is still an after market modification. And would you guys wait for delayed gratification or do it now to better enjoy the uke now?

Mind you, I didn't buy them for a practicl purpose, purely an eye candy extravagance reason.

Last edited:
After what you went through with your Kamaka, you may want to be sure how it affects your warranty. That said, I'd probably do it myself. Just thinking of your past experiences.

If it would void my warranty, I would definitely wait. How long is the warranty anyway?

You guys are probably right, I just didn't want to wait and I was hoping it wouldn't void it (it is a limited lifetime warranty for the original purchaser). I have had the Kamaka issue (no warranty coverage) and I have had a KoAloha in the shop since April -- though still no diagnosis on that one, so I probably should play it safe. I was just hoping to satisfy my impatience with fellow impulsive types urging me to take the leap. Since I haven't heard by email yet I will call Kanilea tomorrow and ask.

Did anyone who swapped out their tuners themselves ever get denied warranty coverage or worry about that before they did it themselves?

Or has anyone out there had a factory do their tuner swap to avoid voiding their warranty?

Last edited:
One last question, and I'll leave you alone. When are you gonna post proper pics of your new baby?

Ha, I am still out of town and won't be home until Saturday night, so I just have my phone camera for now. I will try to get some up on Sunday or Tuesday.

Sigh, and I am still dreaming that Kristen will say go ahead and install them, it won't affect the warranty. Then I won't spend the next three months anxiously awaiting the install and pestering them to let me make an appt to come in to Kanilea to have Joe or Bill do it. Of course, if the warranty gets voided no matter WHO does it, those puppies are going on that uke Sunday morning. :)

Wouldn't a warranty claim be down to cause and effect ? If you change the tuners and the headstock splits across the holes, warranty void. But if the top splits or the bridge pulls off, it couldn't be reasonably argued by the manufacturer to be connected. I'm sure a lawyer type on here could give you a definitive answer on this, 1 in 3 Americans are lawyers anyway aren't they ? There must be a couple on this thread already :)

Wouldn't a warranty claim be down to cause and effect ? .... I'm sure a lawyer type on here could give you a definitive answer on this, 1 in 3 Americans are lawyers anyway aren't they ? There must be a couple on this thread already :)
I think she is an attorney.

Ya might as well wait. I mean it's not like it's your only Uke. :)

I think she is an attorney.

Ya might as well wait. I mean it's not like it's your only Uke. :)

True, I am. :) That might be what leads me to expect anyone (even great people like the Souzas) to find reasons to deny coverage. I used to be an insurance defense litigator (before I left because I coudn't live with doing that for a living) and we woud always deny, deny, deny.

The terms of the warranty do mention a bit of cause and effect for modifications but I am just going to call today and ask. I know tons of people change their tuners, I think Aldrine even might have on his Kanilea, so maybe the warranty is unaffected.

Just an fyi, I just spoke to Joe Souza on the phone and at first he said it shouldn't void the warranty, but he wasnt familiar with Waverlys. Then I kept bugging him and he said no, it wouldn't, but it might require drilling a hole. So for the two guys I saw with Kanileas and these tuners, you should be okay too. Woo hoo, koa tuners going on this weekend!

Waverly uke tuners use a smaller diameter peghole than Grovers. If you want to switch out you will need to plug the holes in your peghead and redrill for the Waverlies.

Top Bottom