Wedding rings and Ukes

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
I've noticed when playing that my wedding ring occasionally smacks the back of the neck. Does everyone else just take theirs off, or adjust their playing style ? I never had this issue with guitar.

I should have mentioned that mine is painful to take off repeatedly, otherwise I'd just pop it off when practicing.

Last edited:
I get one tattoo ;)

I've never noticed my wedding ring hitting the back of the neck. But I do know that if I take it off , my wife will smack me on the back of my neck.

I've also noticed my pinky ring on my right hand hitting the body sometimes. Oh well, looks like I've got a bit of James Hill going on.

I tried to wear mine but eventually decided to take it off when playing because it's just not comfortable. then again, I don't like wearing jewlery anyway.

I had mine tattoo'd :) underneath but the boss still gets the hump if i take it off . Mine doesnt affect my playing, but my thumb sticks up and my pinky sticks out like supping tea at the ritz, i have tried to hold it "correctly" but hey *&@k it, it is more comfy with the pinky out (as the actress said to the bishop!!!)

I have no problem playing uke with my wedding ring on.

Never had a problem - I don't know how I could possibly play with my ring finger behind the neck, since I need the fingers on the fretboard to push down on the strings.

The ring has never smacked on the fretboard, either.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Luckily we don't wear wedding bands in Taiwan. On a side note, I cringe whenever I see a video of Aldrine Guerrero test driving a bunch of high end ukes with that big ass ring on his right hand.

Last edited:
Wrist down.

Is there some sort of division among uke players into "drop your wrist" and "don't bother dropping your wrist?" Is it a tradition v. new style thing? Or stuffy v. lazy?

That said, I haven't had this problem but I've been trying to follow the advice of those who say to drop your wrist. Playing hand drums is a different matter, though!

I have never had my rings hit the neck. If I did, I probably wouldn't worry about it because a little tap with a ring shouldn't cause any damage.

My husband complained about his ring for a bit when playing the guitar, but that was because it felt different playing...not because he was hitting the neck of his guitar.

Ok, not touching the last post with a barge pole...

Anyway, it's more the noise that pisses me off, not any worries about damage. And this dropped wrist business, I'm strictly a thumb hanging over the neck player, unless a particular fingering makes this impossible.

If it's difficult to take off, maybe you could just put some tape over it when practicing? Some of that medical tape breathes well.

Nope, I have never had a problem with my rings, though I never wear bracelets when playing.

Top Bottom