Transition from Barre chords

Rowly

Reaction score
Hello all,
Asyou will tell i'm new to the uke (and any instrument) but I seem to be getting the hang of it. The biggest thing I'm struggling with is supporting the uke between a barre chord and another.
At the moment I am trying to get "white sandy beach" sorted. When I go from F to Bb and on to Bbm7 my thumb shifts around to the back leaving a space under the neck. From there to go to F how do I support the neck?

Hi Rowly

I use a strap. There are many types - Ukulele Leash is non-traditional but there are followers. A classical-guitar style hook, Jake has been doing that recently. I use more like a guitar-type strap (mine is a lot narrower, maybe it was a mandolin strap). You can experiment with a twine between a headstock and an end pin(I hope you have one).

Anyway, that frees up your left hand from the holding duty and you can reposition of your left hand without dropping your ukulele.

Cheers
Chief

Thanks Chief,
I noticed Aldrine uses one in the tutorial. I always assumed they were somehow a device for people who play for ages and have to put up with the weight! Clearly that's not the case. If you and Aldrine use them I shall look into fitting one.
Great tip thanks.
Rowly

For barre chords I normally use my thumb in the back of the neck for support but for other chords like F, C, and G I rest the neck of my ukulele between my index finger and thumb. Some people might not recommend this method or they may say that it is not proper form but I do this and I don't have many problems with barre chords. The only problem I have is that my thumb gets a little sore after a while. Hope this helps.

I've always played guitar with my thumb over the neck, and I'm finding it quite handy to use this to grip the neck while playing chords.

Thanks for your suggestions folks, keep them coming.....
Big Kahuna, I have given this a go wrapping my thumb over but I seem to need to bring my elbow right in and kind of hunch over the neck holding it down a bit, most strange!?! I've seen your pootsie vid on the tube (very Ringo) and not only do you have marvellously long thumbs but your neck (the ukes) is quite wide. Mine is about an inch and a half at most so by bringing my thumb up leaves my wrist high over the neck . As I'm writing I keep trying it and it seems to work with the thumb holding the headstock but the neck is resting in my palm and I have about an inch of wrist/palm exposed.....
I've seen a video of honoluluadvertiser playing the tune and he seems to chuck his hand out to the headstock transferring from Bbm7 to F.
I do like those leashes but can't seem to find a supply here in the uk. I could botch something together with string!

Last edited:
If you order the Uke leash from the USA it will arrive in good time without problems, and its cheap enough not to attract customs duty.
I ordered one for myself a while ago.
Not a bad bit of kit at a reasonable price.
Cheers
Gary

If you don't have a strap button on your uke, consider giving the Uke Leash a try. It supports the neck of your ukulele so you can concentrate on changing chords. It made a huge difference for me when I started playing.

I got a uke leash and found it very useful. It takes a bit of time to come from the USA but it arrived fine and it helped tremendously.

It supports the neck and gives you confidence you aren't going to drop the uke. I found that over time, I needed it less and less but it's still there should I need to use it any time.

I tried this morning with an old slip lead and it worked a treat. The handle went round the head of the uke and I slipped the dogs head end over my arm. Much easier to transition. I have ordered a uke leash and an extra head clip and with delivery it comes to £16 which isn't much more than a dog lead I expect....and a neater solution.
Once again thanks everyone, especially Ringo the Julia Fordham fan....:)

I tried this morning with an old slip lead and it worked a treat. The handle went round the head of the uke and I slipped the dogs head end over my arm. Much easier to transition. I have ordered a uke leash and an extra head clip and with delivery it comes to £16 which isn't much more than a dog lead I expect....and a neater solution.

OK, sir. Would you mind translating what you said to English?!? What the heck is a slip lead?

Cheers
Chief

A leash would probably be the term we'd use.

Before I bought a Uke Leash I also experimented with a slip lead to test the concept, and it convinced me that the Uke Leash would work for me. Unlike a slip lead, the Uke Leash is easy to adjust, and I often shorten or lengthen my Uke Leash a bit depending on how I am seated.

Hello all,
Asyou will tell i'm new to the uke (and any instrument) but I seem to be getting the hang of it. The biggest thing I'm struggling with is supporting the uke between a barre chord and another.
At the moment I am trying to get "white sandy beach" sorted. When I go from F to Bb and on to Bbm7 my thumb shifts around to the back leaving a space under the neck. From there to go to F how do I support the neck?

ONe "trick" that is especially handy when playing keys like F is to stay in the barre shape. I.e. instead of switching between a barred Bb and the traditional way of making the F with your index and second fingers just slide your hand toward the headstock, lifting the index barre and making the F with your 2nd and third fingers, as if you were playing a barre G but two frets closer to the headstock. The C can then be played with the third finger instead of the first. Now your hand stays in the same shape throughout the song.

JOhn

Well, my uke leash arrived yesterday, so that's about a week from the States. Great service from Lori and a light, practical solution. The other thing I am finding particularly useful are Bretts lessons over on Uke tricks. Ukuleles.....great things, great people....who'd have thought?

Top Bottom