FYI possibly CHEAP ukes on the Bay

Teek

Reaction score
There's a lot of cheap Lanikais that Butler Music is selling on eBay for Parts or Not Working. Some may be luthier specials but I haven't looked, this is just a heads up for anyone who doesn't care about looks and wants a beater or a kid's uke. I sure would not bid a lot of cashola as the point is to get a deal. You'll need to look at See Other Items to see the rest.

I have seen a lot of Lanikais come up lately that are damaged in shipping. No idea what is up with that, but I think it is a better uke than some of the other cheapies out there. I see these because I have a saved search in eBay so get notified.

DO BE AWARE that they all have an issue, some just cosmetic, also I have zero connection to Butler, I have just seen their stuff on eBay for awhile. I'm really only suggesting look for those with just cosmetic issues.

ALSO please don't whine at me if you get one and aren't happy with it, this is just an FYI post. I do have a Lanikai six string and the build is great. I got it as parts not working and all it had was a couple of finish cracks around the equalizer and two strings missing, for less than half price. I got it from a different company though. This doesn't mean you would have the same experience.

Be careful out there.

Man, I sure would like to get a buttload of those to rebuild for kids..

My thoughts exactly. If I knew kids who wanted to play, I would look all of these over. I have my Dolphin as a loaner for kids, that's it. It's also maybe a cheap way to try on a size.

Some have twisted necks. Those are probably not fixable.

As far as knowing some kids, what about something like Big Brother Big Sister?

What is wrong with fully operational Mahalo or Eddy Finn ukuleles for children who want to lern, or know how to play.? The Eddy Finn comes with a 10 year warranty which does not include tennis, golf croquet, self defense or water sports. Why buy something which has been "totaled"? Nothing is worse than having an instrument with defects that make one wonder if it is the self or the instrument.

Re concerned posts, somebody always misconstrues, that's why I don't generally post anything re: rare or cool or cheap and keep it to myself. Please note my original caveat:

DO BE AWARE that they all have an issue, some just cosmetic, also I have zero connection to Butler, I have just seen their stuff on eBay for awhile. I'm really only suggesting look for those with just cosmetic issues.

The one I linked to just had a couple of blems. Twisted necks, I would stay away from. Popped bridge, if you know how to clean the top, reglue in the correct location and clamp, new 8 string uke.

Nothing wrong with Mahalo but intonation problems sometimes. This was just an FYI. Get a truckload of Eddy Finns for kids and be a hero! I personally don't have that kind of money and thought maybe others didn't either. BIG EXASPERATED SIGH.

And the wind leaves the sails. Jeesh.. Nothing wrong with any of them for a kid. I wish I could afford to buy a buttload of Koalohas for the kids around here.

Last edited:
I got a Lanikai on E-Bay with a broken tuner for $30 and was able to fix it myself. It is a good cheap uke and I like it better than my $70 Eddy Finn!

Top Bottom